What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

Iamback

Coach
Moving Kiks from an edge doesn’t make a lot of sense. That would negate most of his best assets.

Why wouldn’t play Curran in the middle, that seems like a no brainer to me.

Because they lack size in the middle. Preston does what Kikau does and with Curran on the other side it gives them a point of difference

The yak

Juniors
Blade could be on the money with a twist

Here come the Dogs.

While the finishing touches to the Tigers contract – which will make Luai one of the highest-paid players in the game – are being put together by the club and his management, the Bulldogs continue to monitor the situation.

Canterbury have verbally put forth their own five-year deal for Luai. As of Tuesday afternoon, the Panthers had yet to receive formal notice of Luai’s intention to sign with a rival club.

The NRL’s new rules give Penrith a 10-day period to make a counteroffer, but the club is expected to waive that right given it cannot compete with the money offered elsewhere.

The Panthers have other moving pieces in their salary cap – chiefly off-contract youngsters Sunia Turuva, Taylan May and hooker Mitch Kenny – but there is no desire to free up salary cap space by releasing Luai early.

Tigerm

Coach
Just a thought, a few seem eager to get Gus to toss Burton out the doggies for Luai?
Gus does do this, he doesn’t like failure? Nothing wrong with that.
But they’re not travelling much better than the WT’s?
Just wondering would Luai be thinking, could that happen to me, if he went there?
His management team would know he’s safer at the tigers and more chance to get more rings with them.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Because they lack size in the middle. Preston does what Kikau does and with Curran on the other side it gives them a point of difference
Is there any point having size if it’s ineffective?
Kiks is one of the best edge defenders in the comp. That’s nullified if he’s moved to the middle.
Curran tackles hard and runs hard. He’s also played plenty of 13.

Kiks on the left, Preston on the right is an exceptional back row, maybe not the best, but certainly in the argument.

Personally, I wouldn’t be moving Kiks, I’d be getting him early ball.

Here come the Dogs.

While the finishing touches to the Tigers contract – which will make Luai one of the highest-paid players in the game – are being put together by the club and his management, the Bulldogs continue to monitor the situation.

Canterbury have verbally put forth their own five-year deal for Luai. As of Tuesday afternoon, the Panthers had yet to receive formal notice of Luai’s intention to sign with a rival club.

The NRL’s new rules give Penrith a 10-day period to make a counteroffer, but the club is expected to waive that right given it cannot compete with the money offered elsewhere.

The Panthers have other moving pieces in their salary cap – chiefly off-contract youngsters Sunia Turuva, Taylan May and hooker Mitch Kenny – but there is no desire to free up salary cap space by releasing Luai early.

1703026770796.gif

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Moving Kiks from an edge doesn’t make a lot of sense. That would negate most of his best assets.

Why wouldn’t play Curran in the middle, that seems like a no brainer to me.
Kiks was a prop and he'll only slow down from now. It might not be 2024 but it will happen eventually

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2023-steve-roach-on-addin-fonuablake-boosting-sharks-premiership-chances-jarome-luai-to-tigers-panthers-2025-craig-fitzgibbon-finals/news-story/b17ef30869e10b674aad7b4621f12993

According to Blocker:
“Why would you go from the team winning the premiership to the wooden spooners, I don’t get it. You’ll get cash down the track if you’re a one-team player, it doesn’t matter, you’ll make more that way"
The thing is, if you’re any good, a decent player, you generally don’t move around clubs unless there’s family stuff going on… blokes like Luai, if he’s a one-club player at Penrith he’ll make money for the next 30 years, don’t worry about the next three or four years.
How would that work? making more money over the long run if he stays?

I mean the difference between the Panthers and Tigers offers after the first 3 years is already a mill. Where would he make that back up by staying a one club player, with Cleary alongside who'll always be the main man?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
1. Some of you need to pull your pants up, wash your hand and wipe down the keyboard, it's gone all gooey?
2. Your man Blade stated "Could be a twist coming shortly with Luai. Can’t say too much atm.", wtf does that mean, most of you are thinking it must be in your favour, time will tell that answer? Personally I hope he stays with you for 24.
3. You only have the bargaining chip for a swap/trade deal for 24, after that he's a free agent?
4. A swap could well be on the cards, but your boss has already said he is staying, makes him look a bit like Gus if he now backflips?
5. Don't know a lot about Luai, tbh, but does he kick goals like Burton does? Might be a problem for the dogs?
6. Do we know (Luai) what team he wants to play for? Unfortunately for your team, it's no longer Penrith.
7. Your coach made Luai's decision to leave, easier for him, where ever he goes?
8. I think your offer was a bit insulting to a premium 6/7 of the game tbh, clubs are offering forwards way more than what you offered?
9. Does Burton want to come back?
10. Maybe he can do what Tallis did and sit out the season?

Anyway, we'll all know in another week or so, but what ever happens, we can't go any worse than what we already are, only you can?

It's been a wild off season, hasn't it?

TigerM Most of us Penrith Fans, are basically just reacting to the shit and giggles media carry on.

If Jarome decides to stay at Penrith, I'll give up coffee for a week (I'm highly addicted, and so I don't say this lightly)

None of us are under any illusions.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Here come the Dogs.

I've said all along the dogs were in this up to their necks. Hence my take for shit and giggles, about the whole thing.

mxlegend99

Referee
Just a thought, a few seem eager to get Gus to toss Burton out the doggies for Luai?
Gus does do this, he doesn’t like failure? Nothing wrong with that.
But they’re not travelling much better than the WT’s?
Just wondering would Luai be thinking, could that happen to me, if he went there?
His management team would know he’s safer at the tigers and more chance to get more rings with them.
How is a zero percent chance with Bulldogs at a premiership any better or worse than zero with the Tigers?

If those are his two choices. Money is the deciding factor. If money is identical. Its who would he prefer to be teammates with again?

Critter, Burton and Kiks? Or Api and Staines?

Benji being his idol growing up could have some bearing, but hes also tight with Ciraldo. Honestly this comes down to money. I think if it came down to teammates/coach he would opt for Bulldogs.

Iamback

Coach
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2023-steve-roach-on-addin-fonuablake-boosting-sharks-premiership-chances-jarome-luai-to-tigers-panthers-2025-craig-fitzgibbon-finals/news-story/b17ef30869e10b674aad7b4621f12993

According to Blocker:

How would that work? making more money over the long run if he stays?

I mean the difference between the Panthers and Tigers offers after the first 3 years is already a mill. Where would he make that back up by staying a one club player, with Cleary alongside who'll always be the main man?

I have said it before. Off field endorsements it is alot easier to get winning games then not.

Iamback

Coach
How is a zero percent chance with Bulldogs at a premiership any better or worse than zero with the Tigers?

If those are his two choices. Money is the deciding factor. If money is identical. Its who would he prefer to be teammates with again?

Critter, Burton and Kiks? Or Api and Staines?

Benji being his idol growing up could have some bearing, but hes also tight with Ciraldo. Honestly this comes down to money. I think if it came down to teammates/coach he would opt for Bulldogs.

The flip side is. Neither might be coach long term