What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

Luke Bowden

First Grade
That guy on Fox Sports with the giant head was at training and got no comment.

Even the Western Weekender as the club's mouth piece would of reported it if that happened
Could have been told by the club to go home and make your decision for all we know.
Blade explained why. It’s a contract dispute with his current deal. Sounds like his new management are interpreting the contract a little differently

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I think part of why Luai leaving 'hurts' (at least for me) is that as fans we have copped a lot of stick about how 'arrogant', ungracious and unlikeable our players are in particular Jerome who was pretty much the 'face' of it. I know it's a beat up, but I have many friends and acquaintances who previously had no enmity towards the Panthers who now do. Whether it was a beat up or not is immaterial, a large sector of the NRL watching fandom has bought into the narrative.

So us fans have copped it and stuck by the team and Romey (it helps when we keep on winning) so for him to bail on us after making us 'look bad' sort of stings. We stuck by him, but he couldn't for us. I know this is more about emotion than logic and rationale, but it is what I personally feel, and I am willing to bet I am not alone in Panther Fandom.

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. Luai gave his all for us, copped shit from opposing fans for daring to have a personality, and wants a new challenge and the money to go with it. Who can begrudge him that? Good on him; I feel no more betrayed than when Korosiau, Burton, Crichton, Lenui etc left.

Iamback

Coach
Luai is getting his first big money contract at 28.

Burton got his at 21.

Not really comparable.

He left to play 5/8th.

There are rumours that 2 years later he is going to be centre... Of course he'd take playing 6 in a top side

Luke Bowden

First Grade
He left to play 5/8th.

There are rumours that 2 years later he is going to be centre... Of course he'd take playing 6 in a top side
If there were any truth to those rumours, Gus would have moved him on. Absolutely no chance he’d be allowing that much Cap space to be spent outside of the Spine.

The Realist

Juniors
I don't understand this line of thinking at all. Luai gave his all for us, copped shit from opposing fans for daring to have a personality, and wants a new challenge and the money to go with it. Who can begrudge him that? Good on him; I feel no more betrayed than when Korosiau, Burton, Crichton, Lenui etc left.

The logical side of me 100% agrees with you here. I got over all the others as well. Luai is different though. He was basically the face of the club - possibly more so than Cleary himself. He often and loudly professed his love of the club and his loyalty to it.

You can spin it all you want, but even though our club is now a Dynasty - we only command respect through fear and accomplishments. There are other formerly dynastic clubs whose teams were well liked even though they beat/destroyed everyone else regularly during the period. We aren't one of them. Our club is not well liked by the general NRL community and rightly or wrongly - Luai is a strong factor in that.

I personally don't get the people who are saying that Luai leaving is pretty much the same as Api/Critta/Spencer. It's really not.

Had he come from another club, or had he not been our 'CEO' or professed his love for the club, or damaged our club image it would be the same as the others.

Anyway it is done now, I hope to enjoy his last season with us.

Just watched the presser.. I think he is still a bit undecided, poor guy. Just hope the advice he got from his manager was the right one, but have a feeling the bottom line $$$ might have swayed the advice from him? Can't blame him, but also a shame as wonder if we knew about this if we could have kept Critta/Spencer? As part of the goss, would also love to know what other clubs were interested? Dragons? Gold Coast?

Jett will definitely be given every opportunity to succeed.

nahh not at all. Just makes me appreciate Dylan Edwards a whole lot more…. If that’s even possible
100%, I don't want to sound racist and I know they have families to feed, but it seems the Polynesian really chase the money, rather then stay loyal to the club. I know as a fan you think to stick to the club as $850k is unreal money and can be lived on if done correctly.

martielang

Bench
The logical side of me 100% agrees with you here. I got over all the others as well. Luai is different though. He was basically the face of the club - possibly more so than Cleary himself. He often and loudly professed his love of the club and his loyalty to it.

You can spin it all you want, but even though our club is now a Dynasty - we only command respect through fear and accomplishments. There are other formerly dynastic clubs whose teams were well liked even though they beat/destroyed everyone else regularly during the period. We aren't one of them. Our club is not well liked by the general NRL community and rightly or wrongly - Luai is a strong factor in that.

I personally don't get the people who are saying that Luai leaving is pretty much the same as Api/Critta/Spencer. It's really not.

Had he come from another club, or had he not been our 'CEO' or professed his love for the club, or damaged our club image it would be the same as the others.

Anyway it is done now, I hope to enjoy his last season with us.

If we were talking $100 - $150k PA more I’d be 100% on board with feeling betrayed. But he’ll be receiving $350 - $400k PA more on a long term deal. Genuinely can’t see anyone turning that down regardless of position within the club.

soc123_au

Staff member
100%, I don't want to sound racist and I know they have families to feed, but it seems the Polynesian really chase the money, rather then stay loyal to the club. I know as a fan you think to stick to the club as $850k is unreal money and can be lived on if done correctly.
I think it's more to do with socio economic background than race. It's fair to say most Pacific Islanders aren't born with silver spoons in their mouths. Those that also even generate moderate incomes are under a shitload of pressure to kick a few sheckles down the line to help out the wider family. A few hundred K a year X 5 would make a huge difference. By the time he heads to Concord he will have been loyal to the Panthers for over 10 years, he had plenty of suitors as a young bloke, but stayed loyal and waited for his chance. Now it's time for big dog to bring home the bacon.