What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

Das Hassler

Bench
I said at the time, The difference he can make up off field but he chose this path. Now we see how it goes

Yep...and he won't retire ( soon enough for all of them) wondering what it's like outside his comfort zone. As we know the only one's that never fail are those that never try anything

We all know Jarome is a different rooster who plays to the best of his own drum; it’s refreshing and one of the reasons why I love him.

Who knows the full reasons why he left Penrith and went to the Tigers? Probably only really Jarome, and as he said it was the toughest decision he ever made so there is every chance the way he thinks about it changes every day. Obviously money is a big part of him leaving Penrith, but as Das says, we don’t really know what others offered him.

I just hope that a) Tigers fans realise what they have in Jarome and that their happiness today is more about landing a great player rather than scoring one over the Panthers who ‘retained Nathan and then stole Ivan’ and b) they remember how they feel about him today if he doesn’t take them back to the promised land. I see it like Hunt at St George; a great player but can’t do it all himself, and there are challlenges in putting good players around a star held when you pay the star half handsomely. You need to a) make good decisions on other marquees to sign and b) find good cheapies to go alongside them.

WTs are signing Luai today, and the player he is now, he is a premiership winner, SOO rep and took his country to the World Cup final. How he plays over time will be driven as much by things like coaching, list alongside him and culture as his own skills. Unlike Hunt, I never see a time when you will be able to question Luai’s commitment, so I hope he is never villainised by the WTs fan base in the same way a Reynolds was (I see Luai as a bit of a rich-man’s Reynolds).

soc123_au

Staff member
For sure...but one interesting thing his manager said at the Presser...which I think would have to be fairly true was that there really wasn't that much difference between the clubs that were vying for his signature and he made that point without being asked the question. Curious that he eventually declined the dogs with Ciraldo and his best mate there for possibly 100k / year ( 60 after tax and manager?) I'm pretty sure Gus could have easily squared that up with some 3rd party top up. As for the $'s...sure ..that was the reason for him leaving Penrith but not in his choice of destinations...Gus wouldn't have let him slip away for the difference of what was being offered...and no way Ciraldo would of it was just up to him. I think it was the positives and negatives of the combination of many factors ...not just one big one. He didn't need to choose the Tigers money over the panthers money.. that he would leave for somewhere else for what he felt he was worth was a given....what he did choose was the Tigers over the others who wanted him..it wasn't Panthers V Tigers...it was Tigers V the rest and Gus ( for one) lost out. As I've mentioned somewhere else...driven and "doubted" athletes do have motivations beyond just money.

*Mr Lamback....not talking at you with all that...just general thoughts
My guess is it was 100% money that made the decision he was leaving us. We just couldn't get close.

As for the decision about destination, anything about Penrith isn't really part of the equation. In his shoes I'd have gone with you guys as well. Your roster is more balanced than the Dogs. Eithers option would have given him the challenge and that icy mountain to climb, but at least the Tigers have a few sherpas, the Dogs are a disaster up front.

Iamback

Coach
My guess is it was 100% money that made the decision he was leaving us. We just couldn't get close.

As for the decision about destination, anything about Penrith isn't really part of the equation. In his shoes I'd have gone with you guys as well. Your roster is more balanced than the Dogs. Eithers option would have given him the challenge and that icy mountain to climb, but at least the Tigers have a few sherpas, the Dogs are a disaster up front.

Out of the bum teams. Dragons would be my pick, Them not being an option Bulldogs would be last pick. You fart in the wrong direction and they move you on

soc123_au

Staff member
Out of the bum teams. Dragons would be my pick, Them not being an option Bulldogs would be last pick. You fart in the wrong direction and they move you on
I's still go Tigers over Dragons. I think Flange is over rated. I was pleased when Sharks won in 2016, but there are more shadows lurking over that trophy than Voldermorts house.

Iamback

Coach
I's still go Tigers over Dragons. I think Flange is over rated. I was pleased when Sharks won in 2016, but there are more shadows lurking over that trophy than Voldermorts house.

As opposed to a rookie coach though.

You ask the players and fans of all those teams, they will take a dodgy trophy over losing

soc123_au

Staff member
As opposed to a rookie coach though.

You ask the players and fans of all those teams, they will take a dodgy trophy over losing
No dispute on taking the trophy, I more meant that I wouldn't be looking at Flange in the same way you would Wayne or Bellyache as a decider on what club you go to. I'd have him ahead of Hook, but not by much.

In any case a coach is only as good as his rosters ceiling. A midget would bump their head on the Dragons ceiling rising to their knees.

Who knows with Benji, it was a very strange appointment. Could be a trainwreck, or it could turn out to be fine. With the Dragons, you just know it won't be fine.

Iamback

Coach
No dispute on taking the trophy, I more meant that I wouldn't be looking at Flange in the same way you would Wayne or Bellyache as a decider on what club you go to. I'd have him ahead of Hook, but not by much.

In any case a coach is only as good as his rosters ceiling. A midget would bump their head on the Dragons ceiling rising to their knees.

Who knows with Benji, it was a very strange appointment. Could be a trainwreck, or it could turn out to be fine. With the Dragons, you just know it won't be fine.

I don't know, Dragons over the past couple of years have lost plenty of games by less then a try.

Someone like Flanno gets them playing the basics well and they turn that around. Puts them close to the top 8.

It is alot easier to attract talent from 10th then 17th,

Tigers seem to lose as much talent as they gain and have that higher ceiling but also have very few games that they reach even half that level

MugaB

Coach

Flanagan is a competitor, i dont doubt hell get the best of that dragons squad, he managed to turn the rabble of sharks in 2014 into a premiership winning side in 2 years, cant call that just luck, too many people are painting him as inept from the asada incident, rather than the end results of the actual team, his suspension had nothing to do how well he can actually coach...

Iamback

Coach
Flanagan is a competitor, i dont doubt hell get the best of that dragons squad, he managed to turn the rabble of sharks in 2014 into a premiership winning side in 2 years, cant call that just luck, too many people are painting him as inept from the asada incident, rather than the end results of the actual team, his suspension had nothing to do how well he can actually coach...

That is my point. You get Lomax to his best most weeks with Hunt they will be in most games.

They lack depth big time though

soc123_au

Staff member
Fair enough, I don't think he is a bad coach, just not enough of a magician to fix the Dragons. I agree the asada stuff was overblown, there was a few salary cap questionmarks as well that copped the Broncos rug treatment.

murraymob

Coach
The dragons are done dusted will be last there 2 recruits already gone for the year .There roster is no better than last year .The only team lower than them will be better

soc123_au

Staff member
The dragons are done dusted will be last there 2 recruits already gone for the year .There roster is no better than last year .The only team lower than them will be better
Pretty much how I see it. They are as good a bet for the spoon as we are to get 4 on the trot.

Das Hassler

Bench

Dragons could only offer a bit more money...no friends there ...no chapter in life with a boyhood inspiration and a daily drive down to wollongong

Das Hassler

Bench
Benj is a rookie coach which cannot be argued but he does know about exceeding expectations...he also has Johnny Morris as assistant and the full support ( read no distractions ...interference and whatever he needs) from "in power" Richo...Richo's own understanding and anticipation of what Benji has in store will help tremendously

Das Hassler

Bench
Pretty much how I see it. They are as good a bet for the spoon as we are to get 4 on the trot.

Somethings been way off balance there for a long time...Tigers have copped the tag for so long but i reckon dragons are the club that don't really have an identity anymore...If Flanno can't go someways to fixing that ( which he well might if he doesn't get reckless himself) then they're in near unfixable trouble without a complete top to bottom cleanout... they're been rusting from the inside

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Benj is a rookie coach which cannot be argued but he does know about exceeding expectations...he also has Johnny Morris as assistant and the full support ( read no distractions ...interference and whatever he needs) from "in power" Richo...Richo's own understanding and anticipation of what Benji has in store will help tremendously
I'd forgotten about Morris, I reckon he could end up being a pretty decent coach. If Benji doesn't let his ego control his decisions things could work out pretty well.

Iamback

Coach
Dragons could only offer a bit more money...no friends there ...no chapter in life with a boyhood inspiration and a daily drive down to wollongong

Originally they were keen, I think they weren't prepared to throw around that type of money. not sure he would of chose there when he wants to stay in the area

Iamback

Coach
Somethings been way off balance there for a long time...Tigers have copped the tag for so long but i reckon dragons are the club that don't really have an identity anymore...If Flanno can't go someways to fixing that ( which he well might if he doesn't get reckless himself) then they're in near unfixable trouble without a complete top to bottom cleanout... they're been rusting from the inside

I think Parra get the spoon, followed by Dogs. Dragons will start well but in the end fall away due to depth. They finish 10th last year with their close losses being turned around. Not sure the roster is better unless he gets Lomax firing and Bird back to 2016 form

Iamback

Coach

Rookie or not. I'd rather have him coach than Arthur

Latest posts