What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

Drag Queen

Bench
I’m optimistic Mary realises rhe above mentioned forwards and possibly even the new Melbourne recruit Timms ? need game time to develop fitness and confidence. And after developing the said confidence they provide quality depth and we gain momentum and put ourselves up the top of the ladder for an assault on the premiership,

OR

I’m just clutching at straws and need a holiday in Dreamland
Is there anyone that can get this young fella into boot camp and out of KFC. Talent wasted. Move on. Plenty of big blokes out there with motivation. We don't need him.

Drag Queen

Bench
Hope he does'nt go to NZ and enjoy it too much. Warriors might poach him.
Highly doubt it somehow. You should go check out NZ rep players. Bigger, (not fatter), motivated, whether Union or League. If young Luc wants his chance he needs to pull his finger out and stop being so bloody lazy. Personally I'd have him as a builder's side-kick if he was lucky (excuse the pun).

Frank Facer

First Grade
Highly doubt it somehow. You should go check out NZ rep players. Bigger, (not fatter), motivated, whether Union or League. If young Luc wants his chance he needs to pull his finger out and stop being so bloody lazy. Personally I'd have him as a builder's side-kick if he was lucky (excuse the pun).
Tell us who are the players in "our" team, that you like?

BLM01

First Grade
Ouch....Not a fan I see...yet!. Merry Xmas DQ

getsmarty

Immortal
Sacrifices have Luciano Leilua ready to take St George Illawarra Dragons chance
  • Local Sport
    r0_428_4183_2780_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Magic man: Luciano Leilua scores a try for the Dragons in their elimination finals win over Brisbane last season. Picture: Dave Hunt/AAP Image

• Luciano Leilua's big goal for 2019 is simple - to make it impossible for Paul McGregor to leave him out of the team.

The dynamic 22-year-old came of age at the back end of last season, highlighted by his try in the elimination finals win over the Broncos in Brisbane.

Leilua, a Hurstville United junior, will have an early chance to stake a claim for a place in the Dragons' squad with new signing Korbin Sims suspended for the first two weeks of the competition and Jack de Belin's unavailability.

With Tyson Frizell shifting to lock in place of de Belin, space has opened up on the right edge. And Leilua is keen to fill it.

Leilua told the Leader the message from McGregor was clear.

"Mary has just spoken to me about playing consistent footy," he said.

"He wants me to keep pushing him to keep playing me. I've got to make him pick me and give him reasons why I should be picked in the team every week.

"That's where I've got to keep pushing, especially with things like my defensive efforts. Pre-season was tough but I think I handled it pretty well.

"I think consistency is the big one for me. And also my defence, just being a little bit better in my effort areas. I think if I can fix those things in my game then my attack will just come on the back of that."

The former Australian Schoolboys representative and Endeavour Sports High student has sacrificed plenty in the off-season to get himself into contention for round one.

A commitment to his diet and to extra cardio training has seen Leilua reach his optimal playing weight of 112 kilograms, which took plenty of work with St George Illawarra's high performance staff to achieve.

Leilua is now keen to make the most of the opportunity available on the Dragons' right with the early mornings and late afternoons of extra training having paid off.

"I think for me my goal this season is mainly to be playing consistent footy," he said.

"Also to try and get as many games as I can. I want to be a regular first grader, that's my main goal. I'm feeling really good and fit and healthy and just really ready for round one.

"I want to try and put my name in that top 17 each round. I think everyone wants to be a starter. You've got to earn the respect of the players and the coaching staff to get a starting spot.

"But I'll always play and do what's best for the team. It's totally up to Mary. I put a lot of my faith in Mary and the coaching staff. It's up to them to make the call and I know whoever they pick is going to rip in for the boys."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5942488/sacrifices-have-leilua-ready-to-take-chance/?cs=1633

SnowDragon

Juniors
Luc needs to spend time with Tariq and Frizell... if he can take on their attitude the kid is going to rock the NRL!

I could say similar for Hosty and Kerr... those 3, maybe with Lawrie... they can keep the dragons pack rolling on

possm

Coach
Luc needs to spend time with Tariq and Frizell... if he can take on their attitude the kid is going to rock the NRL!

I could say similar for Hosty and Kerr... those 3, maybe with Lawrie... they can keep the dragons pack rolling on

Leilua needs to be closely supervised and monitored. He needs to check in for fitness tests, weight, speed and defensive drills on a regular basis. Some young players are not self starts but have the talent needed to go all the way.

In my opinion Leilua would benefit from being mentored by a retired top grade backrower who is willin gto do the work to keep him on track.

Dragonsamy

Bench

Snow Dragon
He is certainly training of this year and he's very fit for him. He's doing extras after training with Lowrie and Graham.
He is living now in the gong away from other influences. So I'm expecting a big year from lucky

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Drag in this case your very wrong last year lucky worked his bum off lost about 7 kgs was 120kgs now 113 kgs .player of the year .Yes still needs to work on his defence ,but he's on his way. In my humble opinion. ........... you dont become taraq sims overnight

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Sacrifices have Luciano Leilua ready to take St George Illawarra Dragons chance
  • Local Sport
    r0_428_4183_2780_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Magic man: Luciano Leilua scores a try for the Dragons in their elimination finals win over Brisbane last season. Picture: Dave Hunt/AAP Image

• Luciano Leilua's big goal for 2019 is simple - to make it impossible for Paul McGregor to leave him out of the team.

The dynamic 22-year-old came of age at the back end of last season, highlighted by his try in the elimination finals win over the Broncos in Brisbane.

Leilua, a Hurstville United junior, will have an early chance to stake a claim for a place in the Dragons' squad with new signing Korbin Sims suspended for the first two weeks of the competition and Jack de Belin's unavailability.

With Tyson Frizell shifting to lock in place of de Belin, space has opened up on the right edge. And Leilua is keen to fill it.

Leilua told the Leader the message from McGregor was clear.

"Mary has just spoken to me about playing consistent footy," he said.

"He wants me to keep pushing him to keep playing me. I've got to make him pick me and give him reasons why I should be picked in the team every week.

"That's where I've got to keep pushing, especially with things like my defensive efforts. Pre-season was tough but I think I handled it pretty well.

"I think consistency is the big one for me. And also my defence, just being a little bit better in my effort areas. I think if I can fix those things in my game then my attack will just come on the back of that."

The former Australian Schoolboys representative and Endeavour Sports High student has sacrificed plenty in the off-season to get himself into contention for round one.

A commitment to his diet and to extra cardio training has seen Leilua reach his optimal playing weight of 112 kilograms, which took plenty of work with St George Illawarra's high performance staff to achieve.

Leilua is now keen to make the most of the opportunity available on the Dragons' right with the early mornings and late afternoons of extra training having paid off.

"I think for me my goal this season is mainly to be playing consistent footy," he said.

"Also to try and get as many games as I can. I want to be a regular first grader, that's my main goal. I'm feeling really good and fit and healthy and just really ready for round one.

"I want to try and put my name in that top 17 each round. I think everyone wants to be a starter. You've got to earn the respect of the players and the coaching staff to get a starting spot.

"But I'll always play and do what's best for the team. It's totally up to Mary. I put a lot of my faith in Mary and the coaching staff. It's up to them to make the call and I know whoever they pick is going to rip in for the boys."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5942488/sacrifices-have-leilua-ready-to-take-chance/?cs=1633
Thanks typical Mary. Churchillian speeches "Play Consistent Footy"..that is all he has got of his words of wisdom. Translates to low risk, high percentage footy outcomes is good enough for him in attack.
That is why we always look clunky in attack compared to others as the focus is on low error counts, repeated shallow block attacking plays left and right with little variation and not much else.
Why do you think Aitken has never learned to pass....lack of practice and deep attacking moves work at training.
Luc also is a perfect example of not playing now to his strengths...he draws players in, can offload in traffic and put fast men into holes but we rarely see it now. There will come errors out of that as there will come GOLD but you got to try,

Old Timer

Coach
Thanks typical Mary. Churchillian speeches "Play Consistent Footy"..that is all he has got of his words of wisdom. Translates to low risk, high percentage footy outcomes is good enough for him in attack.
That is why we always look clunky in attack compared to others as the focus is on low error counts, repeated shallow block attacking plays left and right with little variation and not much else.
Why do you think Aitken has never learned to pass....lack of practice and attacking work at training.
Luc is a perfect example of drawing players in who can offload in traffic and put fast men into holes but we rarely see it now.
If only we had fast men to run off him.
No doubt Dufty will come on when Luc is off.
You are a 100% correct re looking clunky and boy is it slow.

denis preston

First Grade
Snow Dragon
He is certainly training of this year and he's very fit for him. He's doing extras after training with Lowrie and Graham.
He is giving now in the gong away from other influences. So I'm expecting a big year from lucky

Great stuff samy.He doesn't need an outside mentor just listen to Graham, frizzell & simms and DONT listen to Mary ! ( still reckon the team played off the cuff in the semi finals , there was a reason that Mary had that look on his face. There not playing to my instructions but they are winning which helps my chance of a contract renewal ! )

RufusRex

Post Whore
As mentioned in lots of places ... Lucky is not a great fit for Mary .. He is not bash barge ...

He is too good for Mary's game plan - too skillful to be used in the way Mary will use him.

Sigh

possm

Coach
As mentioned in lots of places ... Lucky is not a great fit for Mary .. He is not bash barge ...

He is too good for Mary's game plan - too skillful to be used in the way Mary will use him.

Sigh

Don't worry, Mary will bring him into line and make him more ordinary and less confident. He is good at that.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Leilua needs to be closely supervised and monitored. He needs to check in for fitness tests, weight, speed and defensive drills on a regular basis. Some young players are not self starts but have the talent needed to go all the way.

In my opinion Leilua would benefit from being mentored by a retired top grade backrower who is willin gto do the work to keep him on track.
Lucky is down to 112kgs. That in itself if impressive. I think he is a better prospect than Host. He could potentially be the best forward in our pack.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Lucky is down to 112kgs. That in itself if impressive. I think he is a better prospect than Host. He could potentially be the best forward in our pack.

Frank
Just to give you some idea last year.
When you came back from the off-season he was just under 130 kgs. This year 112 kgs very impressive.
But lucky and host are totally different players. Host runs good angles and is a worker . While lucky it's a huge X Factor and is a great off loader.