What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt could leave Eels

Eels Dude

Coach
I just can't see anyone happy with Luke at centre.. I would have him there in an instant if it meant he could stay.

I can see why so many people are looking for INU to move on! Despite him working so hard for us and playing resonabily well.. 6 into 5 doesn't go!

We're always going to have injuries. Last year Smith, Inu, and Grothe were in our best back 5 at the start of the season yet all spent lengthy time on the sidelines. Burt has never always been an automatic choice in the 17, he's been on and off inclusion until perhaps 2007. Even if he's not considered part of our best 17 next year he will still get plenty of time in first grade.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
I just hope thats enough to keep him around .. :(

I'm very attached to him!! I was totally going to marry him when he was a skinny, blonde 17 year old...(and i was like, 12!)

stuke

Bench
Luke is a great clubman, has been reported that he has accepted less to stay at Parra throughout his career and always gives his all. Unfortunately in todays game, that's not always enough.

bartman

Immortal
So based on the DA statement that Tahu has one centre spot, and Inu and Smith would compete for the other, where does that leave Reddy?

Surely Reddy has been outplaying both Inu and Smith in the centres...?

DA's version:
1. Hayne
2. Burt v Reddy?
3. Tahu
4. Inu v Smith?
5. Grothe v Reddy?

At least Smith goes on the bench as a second row option - can't believe Reddy would be shunted to a wing in Burt's place, or miss out on the 17 altogether.

I'd go:
1. Hayne
2. Burt or Inu (goalkickers)
3. Tahu (or Inu)
4. Reddy or Smith
5. Grothe or Reddy
16. Smith

Leaving Burt or Inu as the back-up back week to week... I guess Inu's the future and Burt might be easier to ship around to other clubs on a smaller wage if we had to. But I thought it's been said that we didn't have to let anyone go early from their contract to sign Tahu?

dazeely

First Grade
Smith on bench for his utility role. Play majority of time as a defensive second rower come centre if team picks up an injury.

1 Hayne
2 Burt / Inu / Grothe
3 Tahu
4 Reddy
5 Grothe / Burt / Inu

6 Mortimer
7 KK

8 Poore
9 MK
10 Cayless
11 Hindy
12 Shack
13 Mateo

14 Mannah
15 FFMM
16 Smith or Lowrie ***
17 Kingston or Robson

*** based on Joe leaving the club. If he resigns, then he takes the place of Smith/Lowrie.

Last edited:

woddy

Juniors
see ya Burt nothing personal been a good clubman and all (but no one wanted you) buy seeeyaAAH

Hellsy

Immortal
see ya Burt nothing personal been a good clubman and all (but no one wanted you) buy seeeyaAAH

You are very very wrong in that bolded statement - do not ever speak for others you have never met, just speak for yourself.

Eels Dude

Coach
I've always thought Burt could play a utility role off the bench. He could play a bit of acting 5'8th and KK could go to hooker for a little while. He's got a useful long kicking game, kicking many 40/20's over his career. And he's also kicked two terrific long range under pressure field goals in big games for us this season.

Eels Dude

Coach
wasn't meant to be bolded but can't think of any club that was after him?

I'm pretty sure everytime he's re-signed a deal with the club he's always done so before the June 30 deadline so other clubs were never given a chance. If he's off contract next year some club will snap him up sure thing.

Hellsy

Immortal
Just be very specific in what you mean when you use the words that imply 'everyone' 'all' 'no-one' is all I am saying. Your words can be taken in many ways unless you are specific.
Your statement I bolded above sounds like you are implying that no-one wanted Luke. You have not said who these 'no-one' are. Confusing.

woddy

Juniors
he'll be the same player wherever he plays ....he'll go good but I can't see a position for him at Parra

woddy

Juniors
Just be very specific in what you mean when you use the words that imply 'everyone' 'all' 'no-one' is all I am saying. Your words can be taken in many ways unless you are specific.
Your statement I bolded above sounds like you are implying that no-one wanted Luke. You have not said who these 'no-one' are. Confusing.
no where in my post is the word "everyone"........ the 'all' was implying his good service to the club...... and no-one I'm aware of was bidding for his services........... sorry to be so confusing

Eels Dude

Coach
he'll be the same player wherever he plays ....he'll go good but I can't see a position for him at Parra

So who would come into the side if Grothe or Tahu are injured? If you think the back 5 of Hayne, Inu, Grothe, Tahu, Reddy will all play every single game next season you're dreaming. You need to have at least 7-8 outside backs at the very minimum who are capable first graders.

Back in '01 we had Hodgson, Burt, Moodie, Lyon, Vaealiki, Richards, Donald, and until he was released Grothe. Depth is important for a strong side, not just the best 17.

Latest posts