What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Walsh

Pomoz

Bench
Poor bugger, we still talk about him even now he has gone. For mine, Luke Walsh could have been one of the best players in the NRL if only he believed in himself. When he was "on" he would defend well and his running game would carve up the opposition. But, and its a big but, he only ever played like that a handful of times. When he did, you got what Andrew Johns was on about saying he was a great halfback. That said even when he was on, he had terrible vision for a halfback and really struggled to put players into gaps. He just couldn't read the game well enough. Maybe in Super League he will have more time to find the gaps.

When he was off, I lost count of the time he dished up passes to forwards just in time for them to get absolutely smashed. In fact, how Clint Newton didn't ever come off the field and then punch his lights out I don't know. Walshie must have given hime so many hospital passes Im surprised Clint still has his own teeth.

In the year we came second, Lachlan Coote was in the form of his life, catching balls from everywhere and stealing the ball from right under the noses of opposition fullbacks and wingers. He made Walshies kicks look amazing. We struggled when Coote wasn't catching the ball.

maple_69

Bench
I think its simply your feelings towards him clouding your judgement to say his short kicking game wasn't very good. He is very good at outting the ball right on the try line and getting the weight and timing right to allow the chase to come through. Coote and co were on fire with their chases that year but Walsh showed a lot of skill to out them on the spot.
Unfortunately teams figured it out and he didn't have the other attributes to succeed. He had too many chances and I'm glad he's moved on. I wonder eho the new fan 'favourite' will be. My tip is Kingston.

murraymob

Coach
I think its simply your feelings towards him clouding your judgement to say his short kicking game wasn't very good. He is very good at outting the ball right on the try line and getting the weight and timing right to allow the chase to come through. Coote and co were on fire with their chases that year but Walsh showed a lot of skill to out them on the spot.
Unfortunately teams figured it out and he didn't have the other attributes to succeed. He had too many chances and I'm glad he's moved on. I wonder eho the new fan 'favourite' will be. My tip is Kingston.

or Dave Simmons

darkbloom

Juniors
I don't know whether you remember or not the NSWRL changed the value of a drop kick from 3 points to 2 because Eric Simms was potting them like he was spitting out peas.

Really? A FG was worth the same as a try? Are you sure it wasn't dropped from 2 points to 1 point?

SaintsFan

Juniors
As a Saints (as in St Helens) fan I've read this thread and the Wallace one with interest. It's like you're describing a different player to the Walsh we are getting to know.

I saw some of the St Helens and Warrington game, Walsh played well, but was given plenty of time by the opposition...hence the man of the match performance. Hope he does well this year, it may take a few games for opposing teams to work him out.
Our pack dominated theirs in that match. Halves can't do a great deal if the pack isn't doing the business.

Saints were actively looking for an organising 7 with a kicking game. He's doing fine on both counts. He does take on the line. Not as often as our six but then when he does run it's with great effect and usually results in a try. 12 rounds in (plus 2 rounds of the challenge cup) and he's scored a few tries from breaks he's made; has set up loads for other players including direct assists; kicked three 40/20s; kicked a sweet match winning drop goal in the first round of the Challenge Cup; and has a pretty good goal kicking record although he's yet to match his 100% from his first game, but that was a hard act to follow in many respects. He missed three games through injury. Our players are starting to respond to his cross field kicks and grubbers, neither of which they are particularly used to as we haven't had a 7 of any description since 2008. We have a young and pacey backline and one of the most immediate impacts he had on the team was to involve them, and on both sides of the field, which is a novelty for us in recent years. We love some of his kicking and passing as it's sublime. His no-look pass last week which set up a try was sheer class. He can deceive well, he has pace and a great step.

Hopefully Nathan 'Tinkerman' Brown will stop changing his halfback partner so that we can enjoy more of what he brings to the team. He's already formed a good relationship with our fullback which has really made a difference to our points for.

I have yet to see him shy away from tackling and he's very professional.

I'm glad he is with us and I hope he will grow more confident as he gets to know what's expected of him in our team and comp, and learns more about his team mates. He has already impressed Saints fans. We even have a chant for him. (Which means we like him. ;-) )

Pomoz

Bench
He is bald, he's short, his missus is a good sort, lalalalalala... or something like that?

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Luke Walsh was always going to go well in the SuperLeague, The NRL is a whole different kettle of fish. Giid on him! I wish him all the success in the world.

ACTPanthers

Bench
As a Saints (as in St Helens) fan I've read this thread and the Wallace one with interest. It's like you're describing a different player to the Walsh we are getting to know.

Our pack dominated theirs in that match. Halves can't do a great deal if the pack isn't doing the business.

Saints were actively looking for an organising 7 with a kicking game. He's doing fine on both counts. He does take on the line. Not as often as our six but then when he does run it's with great effect and usually results in a try. 12 rounds in (plus 2 rounds of the challenge cup) and he's scored a few tries from breaks he's made; has set up loads for other players including direct assists; kicked three 40/20s; kicked a sweet match winning drop goal in the first round of the Challenge Cup; and has a pretty good goal kicking record although he's yet to match his 100% from his first game, but that was a hard act to follow in many respects. He missed three games through injury. Our players are starting to respond to his cross field kicks and grubbers, neither of which they are particularly used to as we haven't had a 7 of any description since 2008. We have a young and pacey backline and one of the most immediate impacts he had on the team was to involve them, and on both sides of the field, which is a novelty for us in recent years. We love some of his kicking and passing as it's sublime. His no-look pass last week which set up a try was sheer class. He can deceive well, he has pace and a great step.

Hopefully Nathan 'Tinkerman' Brown will stop changing his halfback partner so that we can enjoy more of what he brings to the team. He's already formed a good relationship with our fullback which has really made a difference to our points for.

I have yet to see him shy away from tackling and he's very professional.

I'm glad he is with us and I hope he will grow more confident as he gets to know what's expected of him in our team and comp, and learns more about his team mates. He has already impressed Saints fans. We even have a chant for him. (Which means we like him. ;-) )

Me too mate, me too ;-)

SaintsFan

Juniors
Luke Walsh was always going to go well in the SuperLeague, The NRL is a whole different kettle of fish. Giid on him! I wish him all the success in the world.
Yeah. I watch the NRL over here. Prefer our comp as we get to see less of the wrestle which slows everything down and kind of sends me to sleep. NZ Warriors when on form are probably the closest you have to Superleague style RL.

soc123_au

Staff member
Great to hear he is doing well for you guys. He just couldn't get it together for us, he has all the skills but couldn't put them on show consistently. Most of us figured he would be a star in the ESL. Glad he has found his place.

franklin2323

Immortal
Great to hear he is doing well for you guys. He just couldn't get it together for us, he has all the skills but couldn't put them on show consistently. Most of us figured he would be a star in the ESL. Glad he has found his place.

This. Pretty much every coach his played for has rated him Joey and Gus also. The Walsh we saw once a month must be the Walsh at training they all saw. That style of half was always going to go well no shortage of players taking on the line leaves him to do his thing.

Big Mick

Referee
As far as I am aware he's getting similar criticism there than he did here. He plays well against shit teams and when playing the good teams - i.e. Wigan, Leeds he doesn't go well.

The biggest difference is that in ESL there are only 3-5 good teams and the rest of the teams are shit. So he'll be more dominant over there than he was here.

It's great to here him going well though...I had a sneaky $10 on him getting Man of Steel.

Latest posts