What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Walsh

Pomoz

Bench
Burns was a great player. Poor bastard was just given the wrong body. Stick his heart into Tony Williams body & you would have a future immortal.

Could you imagine that combination? Burns aggression coupled with William's power. My God he would kill somebody!

mxlegend99

Referee
Martin Kennedy would be dead for sure. Travis messed him up pretty good despite a 30kg disadvantage. Same effort and aggression in Williams body. Guy wouldn't have a head.

Atleast i think it was Ken edy in his last game for us.

betcats

Referee
Yep. Wallace could of played outside Walsh. Soward was no chance

Yeah nah Walsh and Wallace would be terrible, it would be the most predictable pairing ever. Wallace is playing a very similar role to Walsh last season, he is just better at it.

Im pretty sure we signed a halfback to replace our outgoing halfback.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Soward was signed to replace Walsh. He was going to play halfback for us until we signed Peter Wallace.

Soward has the same strengths as Walsh. He's a very similar style player, just far higher quality across the board. He has better vision then Walsh and a better passing and kicking game to pull it off. Wallace on the other hand is pretty much just a competitor that can do his job reasonably well as long as it's not overly complicated.

He's a tough defender, especially for his size. He's not afraid of putting his body on the line and he just does as he is asked. Nothing fancy about his work, but we really don't need a fancy halfback. Especially when our spine is Moylan, Soward, Wallace and Segeyaro. I hope we stick with that spine for a bit and allow it to develop... I think Segeyaro starting and Moylan with the confidence he has at the moment has made both our halves more dangerous and given them more space.

betcats

Referee
Soward was signed to replace Walsh. He was going to play halfback for us until we signed Peter Wallace.

Soward has the same strengths as Walsh. He's a very similar style player, just far higher quality across the board. He has better vision then Walsh and a better passing and kicking game to pull it off. Wallace on the other hand is pretty much just a competitor that can do his job reasonably well as long as it's not overly complicated.

He's a tough defender, especially for his size. He's not afraid of putting his body on the line and he just does as he is asked. Nothing fancy about his work, but we really don't need a fancy halfback. Especially when our spine is Moylan, Soward, Wallace and Segeyaro. I hope we stick with that spine for a bit and allow it to develop... I think Segeyaro starting and Moylan with the confidence he has at the moment has made both our halves more dangerous and given them more space.

Well no matter what order we signed them it is Wallace who has replaced Walsh in terms of their role in the team atleast thats what I see when I watch us. Soward tends to take over in attacking situations but it is very much Wallace organising and leading us for the most part.

They both work together really well, I cant recall one instance of us being stuck without one of them ready to get the ball on the last tackle yet and our attack has had its struggles this year but I havent seen us look completely lost like we used to be occasionally when attacking the oppositions line.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah nah Walsh and Wallace would be terrible, it would be the most predictable pairing ever. Wallace is playing a very similar role to Walsh last season, he is just better at it.

Im pretty sure we signed a halfback to replace our outgoing halfback.

Really? Walsh was into Double figure try assists by this stage last year. Wallace has 5 I think. Granted Wallace isn't getting 90% of the ball like Walsh was which is kinda why Walsh wouldn't work in the current setup

betcats

Referee
Really? Walsh was into Double figure try assists by this stage last year. Wallace has 5 I think. Granted Wallace isn't getting 90% of the ball like Walsh was which is kinda why Walsh wouldn't work in the current setup

Walsh would benefit from less pressure, he could focus on organising like a halfback and chiming in with his running and ball playing when he sees something and leave Soward to do what he has been doing this year.

The vast majority of Walsh's assist were from kicks, he wasnt exactly out there creating linebreaks or putting guys in space very often. The creativity level or a Walsh/Wallace halves combo would be terrible imo.

Pomoz

Bench
Putting people into space was definitely not Walshies thing. Putting people into casualty was more his specialty. I never understood why MBF didn't sponsor him, he generated more business for them than their best salesman with those inside balls into the teeth of the opposition forwards and the last minute pass, just as the defence was about to tackle him.

betcats

Referee
Putting people into space was definitely not Walshies thing. Putting people into casualty was more his specialty. I never understood why MBF didn't sponsor him, he generated more business for them than their best salesman with those inside balls into the teeth of the opposition forwards and the last minute pass, just as the defence was about to tackle him.

Clint Newton is still recovering.

SaintsFan

Juniors
Walsh would benefit from less pressure, he could focus on organising like a halfback and chiming in with his running and ball playing when he sees something ...
That is the role he is playing at Saints and as such he suits us down to the ground because that is exactly the role we needed. Our only halves are running halves and so he has slotted in very well. He can take certain kinds of pressure - he produced the sweetest of drop goals in the last 30 seconds of a knock out match to win us the game, for example - but he does seem prone to a bit of panic when carrying the team, although he has done it for us a couple of times.

The vast majority of Walsh's assist were from kicks, he wasnt exactly out there creating linebreaks or putting guys in space very often.
So far I'd say his assists have been a mix of all of the above. He does have a wonderful knack though of popping up with a play that ends up in a score either for himself or someone else and I'd disagree with comments about his vision.

Our attack is second in the league and Walsh does a great job in organising it. We no longer look clueless, as we have done since losing our last 7 in 2008, and while Walsh isn't perfect with his passes (who is), the man I read about on this forum who keeps getting his team mates smashed is not the man I can relate to. And some of his passing has been sublime. Maybe he is more relaxed over here?

On Travis Burns, from all accounts he's doing a good job for his team. They are mid table at present (and to be fair they have been since they were promoted to Superleague a few years back) but he stands out as a tough performer who gets things done. I don't think he's gotten himself a ban ... yet! But I may be wrong as a few from that team tend to be a bit on the aggressive side.

soc123_au

Staff member
He was killing it too apparently. Hopefully he recovers ok. Pretty nasty break.

TheFrog

Coach
On Travis Burns, from all accounts he's doing a good job for his team. They are mid table at present (and to be fair they have been since they were promoted to Superleague a few years back) but he stands out as a tough performer who gets things done. I don't think he's gotten himself a ban ... yet! But I may be wrong as a few from that team tend to be a bit on the aggressive side.

Travis must have upset someone here because his suspension was the worst stitch-up I've ever seen in the NRL.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Horrible luck. Was killing it, as most of us predicted.

Hopefully he can recover quickly and be good for next season.

Latest posts