What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's Power Rankings: Off-Season NRL Recruitment

JJ

Immortal
Best "under the radar" signings of the season have been Zeb Ta'ia at Gold Coast and Elliot Whitehead at Canberra, the two former Catalans stars were the two best backrowers in Super League.

Not far behind has been Wigan's flying winger Joe Burgess at the Roosters. Prediction: No team will score a 90 metre try against the Roosters if Joe Burgess is on the field and conscious. He is the fastest and best cover defending winger in the world.

Yawn, you've talked up a storm about ESL recruits - where's that Tomkins thread gone?

natheel

Coach
Lewis brow and Beau Scott are pretty equal. Taupau and Myles shit on Scott

Myles and Scott both bring similarities to each other to the respective clubs they have signed for. Both still play origin and both will be leaders for the younger blokes coming through. Granted Myles is probably a little bit better in form wise but I still see Scott being valuable for a team with young backrowers who need a player that's been through it all in the game to learn from. Just like Jake T and co from Myles

Taupau imo is an ok signing. He's not an 80 minute player and on the rumoured salary he's getting I'd rather not have him. But if he's on closer to 500k then he would be a top signing.

It'll be interesting to see how he goes

Vic Mackey

Referee
you'd take RTS at your club before having foran back? :lol:

that just reeks of butthurt.

RTS, at 22 and already one of the top 5 players in the game. Clean skin off the field, could be the best player in either code for the next 10 years

Foran, known more for being 'tough and professional' over being a first class play maker. Ceiling has been reached. No doubts a quality first grader but not one of the elites.

Hmm I wonder who clubs would prefer?

Bazal

Post Whore
RTS, at 22 and already one of the top 5 players in the game. Clean skin off the field, could be the best player in either code for the next 10 years

Foran, known more for being 'tough and professional' over being a first class play maker. Ceiling has been reached. No doubts a quality first grader but not one of the elites.

Hmm I wonder who clubs would prefer?

Depends what the club needs. As an Eels fan I wouldn't swap RTS for Foran. We needed a top flight half and we got the best five-eighth in the game. The Warriors probably wouldn't swap RTS for Foran, particularly given the signing of Luke. I'd suggest your own club would much rather Foran, given the lack of quality halves and the exceptional fullback they have already. There's so much more to it than just player vs player

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Myles and Scott are almost exactly equal, apart from playing prop and backrow. Ageing rep players who will add toughness and some hard work but hardly going to win either club a match on their own bat.

Otherwise it reads like it was written by an Eels fan (and not proof read). We've done well, but not as well as the Warriors. And Manly/Parra is debatable, too.

It wasn't written by an Eels fan.

Incorrect

Coach
You have to remember also that I think the Warriors stunned everyone when they snagged RTS. I don't recall too much hoopla about him being off contract at the end of 2015 before the Warriors announced they had him... I think the other 14 clubs, along with the Roosters just assumed he wouldn't be going anywhere and that the Roosters would have had him under lock and key. It was a sublime piece of recruitment. Getting Isaac Luke just made the recruitment drive even more impressive.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I'm happy with the raiders recruitment. I'd like another prop but what can you do eh. Hopefully a young fella steps up because we are pretty thin on talent if Vaughan goes down or Boyd struggles with less interchanges or gasp.....they both go down injured.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
You have to remember also that I think the Warriors stunned everyone when they snagged RTS. I don't recall too much hoopla about him being off contract at the end of 2015 before the Warriors announced they had him... I think the other 14 clubs, along with the Roosters just assumed he wouldn't be going anywhere and that the Roosters would have had him under lock and key. It was a sublime piece of recruitment. Getting Isaac Luke just made the recruitment drive even more impressive.

the warriors just threw darts and landed unsurprisingly the player with the biggest gap between current salary vs new.

they openly stated they were "buying back the farm" and missed out on numerous priority kiwi signings before landing RTS.

luke just wanted out of the bunnies.

Incorrect

Coach
I'm happy with the raiders recruitment. I'd like another prop but what can you do eh. Hopefully a young fella steps up because we are pretty thin on talent if Vaughan goes down or Boyd struggles with less interchanges or gasp.....they both go down injured.

Maybe you blokes will end up with Junior Paulo a year earlier than expected and get him for 2016....

Iafeta

Referee
the warriors #1 target was foran, they'd have swapped either of those signings for him anyday

I don't think thats correct. Chronologically yes, but then by that logic you'd say Jason Taumalolo would be more valuable to them than RTS. I would say, given the cash Parra are rumoured to have shelled for Foran, that if the Warriors did entice Foran they wouldn't have got Issac Luke as well. I think they're very comfortable with the combination of Luke and RTS just quietly.

Iafeta

Referee
the warriors just threw darts and landed unsurprisingly the player with the biggest gap between current salary vs new.

they openly stated they were "buying back the farm" and missed out on numerous priority kiwi signings before landing RTS.

Well then keep throwing darts I say. If throwing darts lands you RTS and Issac Luke, whoever is throwing that darts is wasted at the Warriors - they need to be in Scotland or the north of England in a dingy pub winning darts world comps. Getting RTS and Luke, as opposed to just a Foran, or just a Taumalolo, gets them 3/4 of the Kiwis spine. I think thats some fairly handy dart throwing.

alien

Referee
Prediction: No team will score a 90 metre try against the Roosters if Joe Burgess is on the field and conscious. He is the fastest and best cover defending winger in the world.

unless GI gets makes a break! joe burgess comes at GI, and GI gives him the big no argue! :cool:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

The Warriors went after RTS because Tomkins wanted a release. Tomkins was told that he won't be going anywhere unless they find a suitable replacement. Doyle reached out to RTS, and from there it just happened.

As you say, Luke wanted out of the Bunnie. He wasn't off contract so initially the Warriors would have had no reason to approach him.

Foran was there main target in the off season, but that was based on Luke not being off contract and the Warriors already having a hefty priced fullback on their roster.

The fact the Warriors went after Foran says they rate him as a player, but there's nothing to suggest that he was a preference over Luke/RTS, that's something that we'll simply never know.