What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon prepared for hostile Eels fans.

Gronk

Staff member
Lyon prepared for hostile Eels fans.

October 18, 2006 - 2:15PM

Jamie Lyon is bracing for a "hostile" reception from Parramatta supporters on his return to the NRL, but the prize Manly recruit insists he has no regrets about walking out on the club.
Despite being contracted until the end of this year, Lyon quit the Eels just one game into the 2004 season, citing a dislike for city life.
The Eels, having released emerging centre Willie Tonga to the Bulldogs to accommodate him, never recovered from the setback and finished the year in 12th spot.
Lyon, who flew in from England this morning after helping St Helens to victory in last week's Super League grand final, expected a fiery welcome from Eels fans.
"I think it will be a hostile over there, particularly for (me)," Lyon said today.
"You're going to have to do it sooner or later, aren't you."
While the NRL draw is yet to be released, Parramatta has been bracketed in the same pool as Manly, ensuring Lyon will come face-to-face with Eels fans at Parramatta Stadium.
Spicing up the affair are comments from Parramatta legend Peter Sterling, who said he was "filthy" with the way Lyon left the club and claimed he should have been overlooked for Test selection.
"No, not at all, I've heard it a couple of times and it doesn't worry me at all," he said of Sterling's criticism.
"It's water off a duck's back."
Lyon last played in Australia for Wee Waa in the group 4 premiership in regional NSW.
"I think at the time it was the right thing to do," Lyon said of his departure.
"I've had my time off and freshened up, so I'm really looking forward to it."
Awarded the Man of Steel award as the English game's best player in 2005, Lyon admitted he had barely spoken to his Eels teammates over the past two years.
"I'm really looking forward to (catching up)," he said.
Asked why he decided to return to the NRL, he said: "I've been away for a while and I've got that bit of desire there now.
"Like I said, I've freshened right up and am raring to go.
"I'm just really looking forward to coming back and playing with Manly, really playing some good footy.
"Hopefully we can get some good wins on the board."
Having arrived late to the Tri Nations tournament due to his English club commitments, Lyon will be available for just two games - both against Great Britain - as well as the final, should Australia qualify.
Rated as the best centre in the game before joining the Super League, Lyon played an increasing amount of football at five-eighth during his English stint.
But the 24-year-old is yet to get an indication from Australian coach Ricky Stuart about his role for the team.
"I'll just have to get down there and see what Sticky wants to do," he said.
"It would be good (to play) but we'll see what happens.
"For sure (I'm excited), it's one of the biggest things you can do.
"Hopefully I'll get a chance and get a game, we'll just have to see how it all pans out.
"I'm pretty fit at the moment, I've played a few games."
Asked if he was a better player on his return to Australia, Lyon said: "I'm not sure, I'm a bit older and a bit more mature now anyway.
"Time will tell I suppose."
AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/lyon-prepared-for-hostile-eels-fans/2006/10/18/1160850979700.html

strider

Post Whore
Lyon admitted he had barely spoken to his Eels teammates over the past two years.
"I'm really looking forward to (catching up)," he said.

so that dispells all the so-called Jamie has patched things up with teh snr players crap that was claimed earlier on

Lyon said: "I'm not sure, I'm a bit older and a bit more mature now anyway.

well judging by this I think you are still the same twat you always were Jamie :lol: :lol:

yy_cheng

Coach
But in reality, I don't think any of the players would be after him.

It would only be the fans.

crusader-eel

Juniors
That game will be a sell out!! If you only go to one game next year, that one would be it!!

Judas won't know what hit him.

Parra Playa

Juniors
he think's he's prepared does he?? We will see about that.

We should get it aranged that the power to channel 9's camera truck goes out at a certain point and then unleash moimoi on his ass

Eelementary

Post Whore
You all know how big a fan I am of Moimoi (I'm presuming here that you actually read what I post...)...

But to me, the best candidate to rip Lyon's head off is the one and only Aaron Cannings. If it wasn't for Lyon, he wouldn't be here today.

strider

Post Whore
I don't want any of our players to rip his head off cos they'd get suspended and it wouldn't be worth it .... I just want him hammered hard and often and to see him plucking parra stadium grass out of his teeth ala Tezza

eelaholic said:
Oi! Don't you go bringing our parra duck into this, Jamie!!
:lol: :lol:

strider

Post Whore
effnic said:
This has to be a thread record on the one person. Get over it idiots.
well no - you should have seen all the josh davis threads .... run along f**kwit!