What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon: Sorry

xr62nv

Juniors
Lyon sorry for Eels walk-out

MANLY centre Jamie Lyon last night revealed he expects to be taunted and jeered by angry Parramatta supporters during Friday night's match at Brookvale Oval.

Lyon spoke with The Daily Telegraph last night about his regret and disappointment at walking out on Parramatta in 2004 and "letting down" his Eels teammates. Friday night's match will be Lyon's first against his former club. Ending a longstanding feud, Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said he accepted Lyon's apology and remorse.

Adding to the match's anticipation, the Manly Daily newspaper is carrying advertisements calling on fans to turn up in droves, expecting anti-Lyon feeling from Eels fans. Lyon spoke with honesty and passion when asked last night how it felt to walk away from his Parramatta teammates. "It is disappointing when I look back," Lyon said. "I let the boys down. I know that now. "It is one of my main regrets. But there's not much I can do about it now, I suppose. "I just didn't realise at the time how much I had let them down." Lyon is still expecting a torrid encounter against his former teammates on Friday.

He is also desperately hoping the pro-Manly crowd can drown out the expected taunts from Parramatta supporters at Brookvale. The Manly Daily ads recall a comment from Nathan Hindmarsh earlier this year saying Brookvale Oval will be dominated by Eels fans there "to give it to Jamie (Lyon). They've been waiting a long while". "I'm sure there will be a few boos from the Parramatta fans but there'll be plenty of Manly fans there and hopefully they will block them out," Lyon said.
Lyon controversially spent the rest of 2004 playing in his home town of Wee Waa before spending two years with English Super League giants St Helens.
At the time, his Parramatta teammates were filthy Lyon walked out without telling them.

Asked whether his old Eels teammates were still angry, Lyon said: "Hindy (Nathan Hindmarsh) is all right. I'm not too sure about the rest of them. "I wouldn't hold it against them if they were. "I'm just glad the first match I play against Parramatta will be at Brookvale Oval. "There are no hard feelings from my end. It all happened a couple of years ago. It's time to move on." Fitzgerald said he and his club now harboured no ill-feeling toward Lyon. Told Lyon had said he regretted leaving the Eels, Fitzgerald said: "I accept what Jamie says. "We moved on a long time ago. It was something Jamie did at the time when he was a little confused.
"It is good for him that he's been able to continue his career at the highest level after spending most of 2004 with Wee Waa."

Lyon is trying to stay calm before the game and denies the match will carry extra pressure. "I wouldn't say I'm worried. I'm more excited than nervous about the game," Lyon said. "We (Manly) have had a good run (leading the competition) so we've got a bit of confidence. "It will be a big game and we're looking forward to it. "I have hit some form and want to keep improving." At the time of him leaving Parramatta, Fitzgerald claimed the Test centre could join Penrith but would not allow Lyon to sign with Manly. His stance came after a long-running battle with the Eagles

link: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21690092-5006066,00.html

jayman

Juniors
i hope ben smith smashes him...

keep directing traffic that way.. let hindmarsh, cannings , and grothe just keep running at him all night...

Lyons not that great anyways.. in the test he played very avg.. and hasnt set the world on fire at manly..

no dramas.. should be an easy win if we control the footy and kick like we did last game..

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah OK he was confused back then. Whatever. So why lead us on that he was excited to return from the UK and play with his mates ? He said that he would return and make good the bad. All along he was going to shaft us and go to Manly.

100% scum.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I hope we don't lose focus on what this game is really about and that's 2 points, if we as a club start to think about a retribution or revenge than we're only thinking about 1 part of the game, the small dick syndrome that judas and Manly are showing leading up to this one is simply a way of trying to put us off.

I think our club are smarter than that.

Rookie

Juniors
As others have said, if he regretted things so much, why not return to the club where he still had a contract? He was always going to go to Manly. Is this an attempt to get under the Eels guard? Apologise before the game so the Eeles aren't as fired up as they would have been.

The Telegraph has reported this as "For the first time Lyon reveals his regret". He did it last year when he was boosting his pay packet.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he might be a bit more sincere and believable if he had said this a year or two ago, and not a couple of days before he plays against us for the first time

sounds like lip service to me

if he was genuinely sorry and had a few years to think about it, why did he go back to Manly instead of the Eels

sorry Judas, its all a bit hard to swallow

Eelectrifying

Juniors
You are going to get smashed Lyon. As well as the ear bashing you will cop from all of us Parra fans. You're worried enough about the Brookvale match, just wait until round 20, there will be nowhere to hide u scumbag. You might need to play with ear plugs in your ears this weekend if you can't hack it. Stick you apology up your a**!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelectrifying said:
You are going to get smashed Lyon. As well as the ear bashing you will cop from all of us Parra fans. You're worried enough about the Brookvale match, just wait until round 20, there will be nowhere to hide u scumbag. You might need to play with ear plugs in your ears this weekend if you can't hack it. Stick you apology up your a**!!!

so I take it you're not over it??? :lol:

Judas can apologies all he wants, All We want is just the 2 points. Don't get me wrong I hate the bastard but the 2 points are more important for our team atm. Judas' time will come in round 20 because every dog has his day and he won't be able to escape 20,000 Parra supporters just waiting to unleash hatred on him.

Hagan is not stupid and the game plan won't revolve around that idiot Lyon.

Stagger eel

Staff member
eloquentEEL said:
I kind of hope Caylo brings back his old tackling technique for one last appearance

why? so we can lose him for 6 weeks??????

fairdinkum, he's not worth pissing on.