What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M Witt to be Released

Moggles

Juniors
If Witt had been given a fair shot at halfback and did no good, then I would be happy to see the back of him. But he has had very little confidence shown in him by Smith and very few chances to show what he can do.

He did very well in 2003 but got changed around too much this year.
When he finally did start getting some form, he got suspended for what can be described as a Finch-like-tackle.

If we let him go we will be kicking ourselves much like we are now with the likes of Tonga.

Give him a go next year behind what will be a great forward pack and he will do wonders.

Freak

Juniors
Moggles said:
If Witt had been given a fair shot at halfback and did no good, then I would be happy to see the back of him. But he has had very little confidence shown in him by Smith and very few chances to show what he can do.

He did very well in 2003 but got changed around too much this year.
When he finally did start getting some form, he got suspended for what can be described as a Finch-like-tackle.

If we let him go we will be kicking ourselves much like we are now with the likes of Tonga.

Give him a go next year behind what will be a great forward pack and he will do wonders.
:thumnn :clap: :clap: :clap:
Moggles that is some of your best work!!

I love the "Finch-like-tackle quote!! :D

I have been telling every man and his dog Witty has the best win-loss ratio in the club!! Why would we want to release "A WINNER" :roll:

If this happens well I'm done!!

Sorry guys i disagree Witt has not got the game to take us to the next level, Other champion halfs have also said this about him. he just has not got the game. Tonga was a loss, Witt wont be just like his brow.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
Sorry guys i disagree Witt has not got the game to take us to the next level, Other champion halfs have also said this about him. he just has not got the game. Tonga was a loss, Witt wont be just like his brow.

Thats your opinion Jake and I have heard a few players who have stated the same thing. However we have had the next big thing sitting in Flegg or Premmies so often and they have never delivered either. Not saying that Tim Smith won't but there is no evidence to suggest yet that he will either...

We have also had players with twice the experience of Witt and Smith in the past that couldn't get the job done either. Its a big call going into a season with a hooker cum halfback with an injury cloud and three kids who have never played first grade outside of trials as your major playmakers. I just hope Riddell is up for a long season because at this stage he will be the one doing all the directing especially if Marsh goes down.

Utey

Coach
See we cant waste another 5 seasons waiting for Witt to get the flow of FG. I highly doubt that PJ will be our halve. It just doesnt add up. I think Smith will make a move to FG or at least the trials and Perenara will partner him. It could work, it might not but at least we are trying. Witt in 2003 was great. He was given a chance with a good 5/8 in Morris and Dykes but still it wasnt enough according to Brian Smith. If Witt is gone it will open up the doors to many other players to step up such as Green, Smith, Marsh? maybe. But we are very thin in the halves atm. I still think Tim Smith is the man for the job. But with one year left on his contract and many other clubs clean to get him would he leave or would he stay. I think moving marsh from impact hooker to starting half would certainly mean another wasted season. He has excelled at this level playing Hooker not half. Ive said it before and Ill say it again I think if Brian Smith uses this combination we will have a descent chance if it begins to gel.
6 Morris
7 Smith
9 Riddell
14 Marsh

stuke

Bench
what a great retention policy we must have. :shock:

blood a young bloke behind a team sadly out of form....sign him to a 4 year contract, virtually saying you are the future of the club.....leave him in premier league for half a season and then when recalled to first grade mix him between half and five-eight.... then release him with 3 years of his contract to go as he can't direct the team as he should.

what a way to destroy young players!!

The Colonel

Immortal
But will Brian persist with Smith, Green or Perenara if the results are poor next year as well? Going on the past eight seasons - if a halfback doesn't work straight away he is gone. That in itself is pure stupidity as the other 16 players have to adapt to a new style and a new halfback EVERY year. There is no continuity.

Mark the top eight off your list of acheivements for next year as well as we suffer through another rebuild. Buying the likes of Tahu, Riddell and Morrisson strngthens our team but it amounts to nought if the halves aren't consistent. At least allowing Witt to start the season allows for some continuity and familiarity to start the season on...

Utey

Coach
It isnt fair and he couldnt do much behind that shit forward pack we had this year. I think he would do better next year but his last tackel option and organisational skills are just not up to scratch. He barely dominates in Premier league.

The Colonel

Immortal
It isnt fair and he couldnt do much behind that sh*t forward pack we had this year. I think he would do better next year but his last tackel option and organisational skills are just not up to scratch. He barely dominates in Premier league.

He played more at 5/8 than he did at halfback. If they are trying to develop him as a halfback that might be a start......

Utey

Coach
They had it the wrong way around all year. The sole playmaker strategy worked with Dykes there but not with Witt. Witt couldnt handle all the playmaking on his own and hence we didnt do so well. But in Premier League we always saw Thorman with the #7 and Witt with the #6. The club obviously knew that we were short in 5/8's and tryed to turn Witt into one and even Blake Green. If we hadnt have had a 2 lock strategy or someone like Mateo played in the 6 our backs wouldve had a lot more ball. 2 Late now #-o

bartman

Immortal
Why did we even have this "sole playmaker strategy", when most other clubs look to have two, three or four playmakers on at once (6,7,9,13/14)? #-o

The Colonel

Immortal
What I find hard to understand is the fact we signed Witty to a four year deal? Why, if they had such doubts, did they sign him for such a length of time?

RainMan

Juniors
The Colonel said:
RainMan said:
Wonder if Manly would have any chance in snaring him? Did Crusher 'find' him at all?

Yes, Crusher was the main reason that Witt was retained by the club....

Are you being sarcastic? He signed a 4 yr deal? While Crusher was still there?

I think he has the making of a quality player, could be a potential big loss for Parramatta. Had a lot of pressure on his shoulders to run the whole show, especially when Wagon kept popping up at 5/8.

Hurriflatch

Referee
It has yet to be confirmed and if it does happen who's to say that it won't be better without him?

either way I'd be waiting till it's confirmed which no one has says it is 100%

The Colonel

Immortal
RainMan said:
The Colonel said:
RainMan said:
Wonder if Manly would have any chance in snaring him? Did Crusher 'find' him at all?

Yes, Crusher was the main reason that Witt was retained by the club....

Are you being sarcastic? He signed a 4 yr deal? While Crusher was still there?

I think he has the making of a quality player, could be a potential big loss for Parramatta. Had a lot of pressure on his shoulders to run the whole show, especially when Wagon kept popping up at 5/8.

Nope not being sarcastic. He signed a four year deal in 2003 based on his good performance. Apparently he and Steve were heading for the chopping block before the start of the 2003 season until Cleal put in a good word.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I recall an interview with Smith on the Sunday Footy Show in 2003 where he was going on about how Witt was the future etc etc.

Moggles

Juniors
I remember before Witt got his shot at first grade last year, everyone was praising his play in the lower grades and were on Brian Smith's back to let him have a crack at the top level.. Eventually he did get his go and he had a strong effort behind a decent pack that were all coming back from injury. In this time he was also picked in the Qld young Origin squad and signed a 4yr deal with Parra.

This year he started in lower grades. Once he got a go at the top grade he was swapped around from 7 to 6 and back again. All of this was behind one of the most in-effective forward packs that Parramatta have had in recent history. Our backline was also well below par compared to previous years.

It seems to me that Witt has become a scape goat for the misfortunes of the Eels.

I cannot understand how quickly he has gone from the future savoiur of the Eels to a has been in the space of six months.

While his form has not been all that flash, neither has most of the rest of the squad. God help Tim Smith and the other prospects if they have an ordinary debut for the top grade....

Latest posts