What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M Witt to be Released

The Colonel

Immortal
Moggles said:
I remember before Witt got his shot at first grade last year, everyone was praising his play in the lower grades and were on Brian Smith's back to let him have a crack at the top level.. Eventually he did get his go and he had a strong effort behind a decent pack that were all coming back from injury. In this time he was also picked in the Qld young Origin squad and signed a 4yr deal with Parra.

This year he started in lower grades. Once he got a go at the top grade he was swapped around from 7 to 6 and back again. All of this was behind one of the most in-effective forward packs that Parramatta have had in recent history. Our backline was also well below par compared to previous years.

It seems to me that Witt has become a scape goat for the misfortunes of the Eels.

I cannot understand how quickly he has gone from the future savoiur of the Eels to a has been in the space of six months.

While his form has not been all that flash, neither has most of the rest of the squad. God help Tim Smith and the other prospects if they have an ordinary debut for the top grade....

:clap:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Jake the snake said:
Sorry guys i disagree Witt has not got the game to take us to the next level, Other champion halfs have also said this about him. he just has not got the game. Tonga was a loss, Witt wont be just like his brow.

Yeah mate, but how many people actually thought that Tonga would be a loss?

I mean when he played for is he had Vaealiki and Judas ahead of him, and his defence was woeful.

All of a sudden he's brilliant.

I think if we release Witt, the same will happen - particularly if he goes to a club which has a coach good at coaching halves - something which Brian lacks.

I do not think that it is a coincidence that the last time we were very succesful (one game short of amazingly successgul actually) was when we had JT and Buetts in the halves, and they:

* were experienced and so required little coaching
* had a partnership going as they had played together for years
* they were solid but not brilliant players behind an awesome forward pack and with a great backline eager to clean up.

mate Tonga was Brilliant in 1st div I saw it and everyone else who went saw it, i was begging for him to be resigned that did not happen because of Lyon And Vaeleki. The point is Witt has not got what it takes to be a great player, His game is lacking in several departments.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
mate Tonga was Brilliant in 1st div I saw it and everyone else who went saw it, i was begging for him to be resigned that did not happen because of Lyon And Vaeleki. The point is Witt has not got what it takes to be a great player, His game is lacking in several departments.

And from what I've watched the likes of Mateo and Smith also require work on certain aspects of their games. I don't think Witt is the answer to all our problems but I also don't think we should be pinning our hopes on three kids and PJ to solve all our problems either. IF Witt does go and injuries befall Marsh and or Smith we are in a HUGE hole.

Players like Orford and Sherwin are case in point - they were erratic when they first started in grade however through perseverance Orford is close to the number one halfback in the game and Sherwin is the main hope for the Dohgs in this weeks GF. Witt is only young. Alexander and Sterling were once in a lifetime players - even Stuart and Langer took time to develop.

Pazza

First Grade
Thats the problem, people are looking for the Quick fix. I am amazed that people are doubting players like Tsoulos, B Smith, Armit etc. They have bearly had a shot in first grade.

Kaz

junior
I agree he just hasnt got the organisational skills to win us a premiership. I hope PJ isnt our halve. He excels at hooker not half.
6 Morris
7 Smith
9 Riddell
14 Marsh
Premiership winning combination

Having B Smith as a coach won't win the Eels a Premiership either.

macavity

Referee
we will take him off your hands, you can have Steve back......

could you imagine M. Witt coached by Hagan/Joey..... :p

The Colonel

Immortal
macavity said:
we will take him off your hands, you can have Steve back......

could you imagine M. Witt coached by Hagan/Joey..... :p

I'm glad you put the bit down about being coached by Joey. He'll have some time on his hands after about round 2 or 3 next year anyways.... :roll:

The Colonel

Immortal
Kaz said:
I bet M Witt will be linked to the Broncos.

Already was a bit earlier in the year I believe. The Dragons were mooted as the main possibility and The Knoughts would be my next bet however with his brother, Kurt and Johns there its unlikely and they have no breathing room under the cap apparently.

Disco

Bench
I'd like Manly to go after him (we desperatly need someone in the Halves) but i doubt Dennis would release a player to Manly, especially someone crusher recruited

Avenger

Immortal
I see this as a similar situation as the Firman/Head situation at the Dragons. If we compare a pre 2004 Head/pre 2005 Tim Smith and Firman/ Witt scenario respectively. In similar circumstances Nathan Brown saw something in Head over Firman which I believe Brian Smith is seeing in Tim Smith over Michael Witt. Its a tough call but Tim Smith is contracted to Parra until the end of 2005 and we might lose him if he is not given a chance. Witt (as we all have heard) knows that Brian Smith is not entirely satisfied with his development, so I am assuming he has seen the writing on the wall and is probably the one that is asking for a possible release.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
its just plain and simple Tim Smith is a better player-simple.

I've yet to share this faith you have. The kid is talented. But people have pointed out that Michael hasn't dominated in Premmies. Tim hasn't either. He has played the house down in a few games as has Mick but he hasn't dominated....... yet.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Avenger said:
I see this as a similar situation as the Firman/Head situation at the Dragons. If we compare a pre 2004 Head/pre 2005 Tim Smith and Firman/ Witt scenario respectively. In similar circumstances Nathan Brown saw something in Head over Firman which I believe Brian Smith is seeing in Tim Smith over Michael Witt. Its a tough call but Tim Smith is contracted to Parra until the end of 2005 and we might lose him if he is not given a chance. Witt (as we all have heard) knows that Brian Smith is not entirely satisfied with his development, so I am assuming he has seen the writing on the wall and is probably the one that is asking for a possible release.

But they never released Firman until after Head had played first grade.

If Smith's future plans are for Smith at half then he should've given him a go already.

Releasing Witt makes no sense. I'll believe it when I hear it officially.