What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mad Dog's Stomp on Tooveyin 1997 GF

Patorick

Staff member
I've always thought the Newcastle 97 GF win as one of the most over-rated things to happen in Rugby League. It wasn't really a classic game, just a great ending. Terrible refereeing, a poor competition ( ffs Gold Coast made the semi's didn't they?).

I've never felt the urge to ever watch the game again, i'd rather watch other GF's such as 89 & 91 or other classic games throughout the year.

Fair enough.

Just out of curiosity which super league club do/did you support?

Patorick

Staff member
No way Tonie Carroll would ever do something like that. Way too good of a bloke. Not 100% on Gee though.

:lol: some great calls in this thread...still get goosebumps watching THAT try

woooo GO NEWCASTLE

:D

*passes the elephant rug to perverse*

i get teary eyed watching it.

my best RL moment ever.

the working mans game saved because of the son of a coal miner from cessnock nsw.

Get a grip on reality FFS

its the truth

just because the broncos arent a working class club isnt my problem

the working mans game was saved by that game, and one particular A.Johns.

why do you think he was voted halfback in the team of the century even with the drugs thing hanging around him.

its true, i know every rugby league fan wouldve given up the game forever had darren albert not scored.

good one dally.

Mr Saab

Referee
its the truth

just because the broncos arent a working class club isnt my problem

the working mans game was saved by that game, and one particular A.Johns.

why do you think he was voted halfback in the team of the century even with the drugs thing hanging around him.

Why? Cause if he wasnt his monkey brother would have cried.
sh*t...so now A Johns saved the game? f**k you live in a spastic world

RumRaider

Juniors
Yes it was deliberate, there has only been one head stomp worse than that one. Billy Slater's, that was fuggin disgraceful.

From memory, didn't greg'grub'bird do a bit of rabbitoh head stomping a few years back and cop a fair holiday. maybe it was just shane martene cleaning bird's studs with his ear hole. not 100% sure.

Spud

Juniors
I could have sworn Brisbane and Newcastle finished on the same points that year....

Yeah thay did, but I am talking about the points differential.

Brisbane just smashed them that year (including a 26-6 victory over Newcastle in the "Superbowl" at Marathon and a 22-6 defeat of Manly in Round 1; in fairness Manly spanked Broncos 28-4 a few weeks later)

Anyway I think both champs deserve the same respect honestly, they were both premiers that year.

Last edited:

Hanscholo

Bench
Yep, he stood on his head. Cant agree anymore with you, it happened right in front of me. It was a brain explosion of the highest order, luckily for MacDougall it was missed. Had it of happened in this day he would have been sent off from a video ref call.

I tend to think that in some way it was an accident, clearly he put his foot straight onto his head and he also clearly looked at him before he did it, i cant argue against that. In MacDougall's defence however he was not then or ever has he since been a dirty or spitfull player in any way. He is however prone to very strange reflex type movements and a strange kinda compulsion to do things on the football field that defies logic. Its hard to define it with him, he is certainly one of the stranger characters ive seen play RL. So i dont believe he got up with the intent of doing it, i think it happened before he knew wtf he was doing. Imo only.

Strange thing looking back at the game now was how heavily manly tried from the outset to force Manson into penalising Newcastle off the park. From Innes to Field to Toovey they didnt shutup the entire game trying to make out that in some way newcastle were cheating. Even Vautin himself made note of it during the call, which is strange considering his bias.

It all just goes into the legend that will be that game in years to come. Say anything you like about the quality of it, the drama was there as much as you would ever want to see in a game.

Why? Cause if he wasnt his monkey brother would have cried.
sh*t...so now A Johns saved the game? f**k you live in a spastic world

jealousy is a curse.

Johns > Lewis or any broncos player.

johns saved the game from the damage caused by the broncos