What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mad Dog's Stomp on Tooveyin 1997 GF

Depends on the record but the N.B. pertaining to the star has never said "not proper competition". It said Super League everywhere I've seen. Some even have 1997 ARL and 1997 SL in their records. :)

i was being polite.

i couldve said star represented a share in news ltd profits.

funny how the comp. newcastle won had no star in it ie because it was the proper competition

Who cares what competition was proper? The fact of the matter is Brisbane would of nailed Newcastle into the ground in 1997. Canberra also would of beat them and probably Cronulla too.

the post i responded to said it was a 2nd rate comp.

my reply was to point out that the competition brisbane won has a star after it to indicate it was not the normal competition they were playing.

id count it for half an aRL competition myself.

if you want to talk about great knights win over brisbane, little better than the opening of Lang Park, the broncos new home ground when they got belted by john and co.

i was there to witness that great day

perverse

Referee
mmm... i'm getting hungry with all these chips on everyones shoulders.

and nooowwwwww bill cosby eating an ice cream!
bill-cosby-photograph-c10042927.jpeg

OM NOM NOM NOM

the post i responded to said it was a 2nd rate comp.

my reply was to point out that the competition brisbane won has a star after it to indicate it was not the normal competition they were playing.

id count it for half an aRL competition myself.

if you want to talk about great knights win over brisbane, little better than the opening of Lang Park, the broncos new home ground when they got belted by john and co.

i was there to witness that great day

If you wanna talk about great wins how about Brisbane & Canberra's efforts against the Knights in 1998. That's a bit more relevant than 2003 IMO.

If you wanna talk about great wins how about Brisbane & Canberra's efforts against the Knights in 1998. That's a bit more relevant than 2003 IMO.

injuries, loss of players etc.

the best the broncos can live with is that star they got in 97.

all the real league fans know who the real champs were in 97

Who cares what competition was proper? The fact of the matter is Brisbane would of nailed Newcastle into the ground in 1997. Canberra also would of beat them and probably Cronulla too.

bingo!!!!

If you look over the last 20 years, that newcastle side would be in the top 3 at least worst teams to win a premiership. Whereas the broncos side that year wouldve gone down as one of the greatest ever had it not been in super league.

Cronulla and Canberra were also awesome as DIG said. one of the worst teams in super league was Hunter, and the bulk of that team went on to win a premiership just 2 years later.

I was just fishing before with my first comment, it was a great grand final. But speaking honestly now, Super League was better than ARL in a year which was crap for rugby league, despite the broncos winning lol.

Patorick

Staff member
Can you imagine the uproar from brisbane fans if mad dog had stomped on langer or lockyer?

we'd still be hearing about it loudly to this day and beyond.

perverse

Referee
If you look over the last 20 years, that newcastle side would be in the top 3 at least worst teams to win a premiership.
uh... that's the point. it's an underdog story. quite an epic one at that. newcastle would have beat anyone that day, and not through talent. grand finals have a habit of being won by the team that wants it more... much like origins.

sorry about the constructive comments to the thread, i'll go back to lolling at all the sour grapes. they're pretty cheap this time of year you know... get them while they're still hot.

Sour%20Grapes.jpg

_Johnsy

Referee
Yes it was deliberate, there has only been one head stomp worse than that one. Billy Slater's, that was fuggin disgraceful.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
bingo!!!!

If you look over the last 20 years, that newcastle side would be in the top 3 at least worst teams to win a premiership. Whereas the broncos side that year wouldve gone down as one of the greatest ever had it not been in super league.
How often in the last 20 years has the best team on paper actually won the premiership? I'd say the gap between the '97 Knights and the Broncos would have been at least equivalent to the gap between the 2006 Storm and the Broncos.

one of the worst teams in super league was Hunter, and the bulk of that team went on to win a premiership just 2 years later.
Point being? The Knights tied for the minor premiership just one year after SL.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
:lol: some great calls in this thread...still get goosebumps watching THAT try

woooo GO NEWCASTLE

:D

*passes the elephant rug to perverse*

b1ggles

Juniors
Hmmmmm....

The ignorance is strong in this thread. Are you guys aware that steroids (and many other pharmaceuticals) are a fact of life for professional sportsmen? Everyone takes them. Everyone. There hasn't been a 'clean' Olympic medalist for almost 60 years. SIXTY. Taking steroids is not "cheating" because every other player/competitor is taking them too. The only thing MacDougall et al did wrong was get caught. That doesn't happen now because the players/athletes are told when their test is going to be.

In 1997 the ARL was by far the stronger comp. I'll concede that styles make matches, and the Broncos would have beaten the Knights that day. But Manly? Manly were an awesome unit, from 1 to 17. They would have smashed Brisbane, put 30-40 points on them. And the Knights would have done the same to any other SL team.

I can't believe we still have these loonies debating the SL/ARL stuff. History has judged, SL folded after a season. Brisbane were the only team getting crowds or TV audiences.

All I can say is News Ltd were lucky the ARL were feeling generous, otherwise they would have gone the way of the Dodo.

Azkatro

First Grade
Hmmmmm....

The ignorance is strong in this thread. Are you guys aware that steroids (and many other pharmaceuticals) are a fact of life for professional sportsmen? Everyone takes them. Everyone. There hasn't been a 'clean' Olympic medalist for almost 60 years. SIXTY. Taking steroids is not "cheating" because every other player/competitor is taking them too. The only thing MacDougall et al did wrong was get caught. That doesn't happen now because the players/athletes are told when their test is going to be.

In 1997 the ARL was by far the stronger comp. I'll concede that styles make matches, and the Broncos would have beaten the Knights that day. But Manly? Manly were an awesome unit, from 1 to 17. They would have smashed Brisbane, put 30-40 points on them. And the Knights would have done the same to any other SL team.

I can't believe we still have these loonies debating the SL/ARL stuff. History has judged, SL folded after a season. Brisbane were the only team getting crowds or TV audiences.

All I can say is News Ltd were lucky the ARL were feeling generous, otherwise they would have gone the way of the Dodo.
530316346_24cedcc131.jpg

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I've always thought the Newcastle 97 GF win as one of the most over-rated things to happen in Rugby League. It wasn't really a classic game, just a great ending. Terrible refereeing, a poor competition ( ffs Gold Coast made the semi's didn't they?).

I've never felt the urge to ever watch the game again, i'd rather watch other GF's such as 89 & 91 or other classic games throughout the year.