What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madden NFL 09

Jono078

Referee
What do you mean by broken player progression system?
Do the players attributes increase/decrease like 08?
Is it worth buying if you have 08?
Progression almost identical to 08.

Which is a bad thing (atleast on next gen versions).

Games are getting better now that the AI is adjusting to my skill :D

haha

Juniors
Progression almost identical to 08.

Which is a bad thing (atleast on next gen versions).

Games are getting better now that the AI is adjusting to my skill :D

Head coach sounds good for people who like franchise mode, there isn't many complaints on the EA forums.
Madden 09 is copping a pasting though.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
all the talk about ints :S

in my last 9 games i have thrown 3 ints...and had 1 fumble.

mind you two int's came from me throwing in double coverage trying to squeeze a pass into the endzone on 3rd down.

Jono078

Referee
all the talk about ints :S

in my last 9 games i have thrown 3 ints...and had 1 fumble.

mind you two int's came from me throwing in double coverage trying to squeeze a pass into the endzone on 3rd down.
Have you downloaded the patch?

I don't know if the patch fixed the INTs or if the AI has adjusted to my skill.

I'm seeing much less now.

Probably 3-4 a game. Fumbles are hard to come across this year.

Also, anyone been able to complete an online game? I've lost disconnection twice :(

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
I got the game the other day.... my only problem is online I keep getting connection your opponent has been lost an get only the option to end game- and then I cop a loss for it!!!!! And it cant be my net or anything cause every other game works fine with my net and itd not like Im getting signed out of PSN just the EA servers.

But moving onto the actual game.... Presentation is a whole lot better I feel. More of a tv coverage feel. Gameplay animation seem smoother and is it just me or games seem to move along better and more smoother and quicker. Passing has inproved I think. If you run out of the pocket and pass on your backfoot you will be intercepted though. I seem to complete about 25-28 of about 35 passes a game- with maybe 1 or 2 intercepts. As for fumbling I SMASHED Hester from a kickoff and he fumbled and playing as the Bills Lynch dropped it twice in the rain. And I think there was one more, so there is not heaps of fumbles.

On last years Madden it was easy to kick a touchback- With full power I still can't which I think is a good thing- the return game is fun. Blocking seems to have improved but I dont think I've been able to break through an O-line with one of my D-line men and sometimes the opposition seem to break into the pocket quite regularly.

My main problem is the running game- I can't get it going. I think my longest run was about 22 yards with LT and next best was about 15 yards. But normally I get stopped on the line for a loss. I'll carry for about 15 times a game and get about 40 yards- which seems low to me. I have found out though you make alot more yards but controlling a blocker yourself first. I think atm I'd be getting about 3 yards a down- so running is harder.

Overall the game is very similar to 08 but I think it is slightly better and a bit of a realistic feel. I like it and I'm sure to play alot of hours lol.

BTW my advice dont do the Madden test- I aced it and then couldn't do NOTHING!!! I just deleted my profile and decided to sip the test and after playing a few games it got my level sorted out to a decent level. I don't know how it works though--- i was vs Seattle and somehow Julius Jones made 174 yards rushing and at the end of the game my run defense level went UP!!!

But yeah if you love Madden you will get it.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah my Rush Offense is full even though I don't feel like im rushing all that well lol.

eastsrule

Bench
Overall, it is a good game. Better than 08.

Running is very f**king hard. I basically avoid it except for calling an audible or needing a yard or two.

I love the game, but mainly because I love the NFL. Franchise mode is cool.

Big Tim

First Grade
I will get my first crack at it tonight, as I am heading to my Bros. and he has it.

Are you running with sprint on? That made the running game impossible in the last 2 versions of Madden.

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
I will get my first crack at it tonight, as I am heading to my Bros. and he has it.

Are you running with sprint on? That made the running game impossible in the last 2 versions of Madden.

I've learnt do not use the sprint as you can't do anything else (except with someone with sprint/elusiveness weapons) like juke or stiff arm when sprinting. It also makes you over run your blocks. I love that about this game you can't just sprint around them you have to be patient and wait for it too unfold.... Problem is though- The O-line no matter how good seems to get broken all the time.

Also anyone think WR's etc get ran down too quickly after catching?? I was playing as Raiders vs Chiefs and with 10 secs left i went long straight down the middle to McFadden- he caught it in the clear but within moments i was tackled and I lost and I'd say he had about 4-5 yards start (but maybe this is good because he would have had to accelerate and the defensive backs would already have been at top speed- so top work madden).

eastsrule

Bench
I won the superbowl against the cowboys. Tom Brady 35 touchdowns, 22 intercepts in the season.

I get smashed in pass defence.

I held LT for 3 yards in teh AFC game. haha

Big Tim

First Grade
I enjoyed the game.

Running, which is my strength, was difficult, but I averaged 3.7 with Portis after 2 games, so it can only get better.

My Skins have many weapons in the receiving corps for once.

kkingston

Juniors
Anyone got it on ps2? Is it worth getting it on an old generation console?

Dont bother on ps2. i got it expecting some changes but it is exactly 08 with a roster update and a few menu changes. Exact same playbooks, Franchise, Superstar e.t.c

tokerShark

Juniors
i love to scramble. i use titans , there QB is heaps quick. vince young i think. the other thing i like to do is relocate the team and create a killer HB. los angeles sharks with paul gallen at HB, the create a player option is improved over last year

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
You would get much more out of the game if you played more sim IMO. But each to their own.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Dont bother on ps2. i got it expecting some changes but it is exactly 08 with a roster update and a few menu changes. Exact same playbooks, Franchise, Superstar e.t.c

Hmmm that's dissapointing, but not that suprising. I think I'll still get it only because I've sold 08 and when the season starts again I will be keen to play.

Big Tim

First Grade
Just got mine from the States.... god bless cheap tv's!!!!

My game wont work on my LG Flatscreen (not HD) but it will work on my much bigger Konka!

I can import NCAA draft classes!!!! So happy.

Latest posts