What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

beave

Coach
How would it weaken crowds by giving Brisbane the same amount of home games as everyone else? By doing this it appears more a concerted move to inflate crowds as much as possible at the expense of non QLD teams having to 'host' in Brisbane. Home teams for this should be Broncos, NQ, Titans as a minimum. Storm with the QLD connection is passable as another host.

Disagree on NQ having a home game during the magic weekend.

The NQ fans only get to see their team play 12 times a year, to see them at an away game is quite costly, the closest away game is in brisbane (1500kms away), you’re looking at a lot of money to achieve it ($1k, flights,hotels, all associated $$). If we lose a ‘home’ game to the magic weekend, it’s a pretty big sacrifice for the fans up there.

Fans of sydney clubs can attend their teams away games against other sydney clubs with relative ease, so losing a home game to the magic weekend isn’t that big of a deal, whereas to NQ fans it will be.

Plus we don’t draw well in Sydney generally so it will help inflate teams crowd averages if a Sydney club has a home game against us in brisbane.

Just my take on it.

Last edited:

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors

The NQ fans only get to see their team play 12 times a year, to see them at an away game is quite costly, the closest away game is in brisbane (1500kms away), you’re looking at a lot of money to achieve it ($1k, flights,hotels, all associated $$))

Fans of sydney clubs can attend their teams away games with relative ease, so losing a home game to the magic weekend isn’t that big of a deal, whereas to NQ fans it will be.

Plus we don’t draw well in Sydney generally so it will help inflate teams crowd averages if a Sydney club has a home game against us in brisbane.

Just my take on it.

Fair point. The costs you mention won't be isolated to NQ fans, I assume Storm will be one of those hosting games and Melbourne fans will be looking at a tidy sum to get up there for their 'home' game also. Not a fan of this event personally but it's out of the Club's hands and everyone has to do the best they can to make it a success.

T-Boon

Coach
The Broncos crowds are poor when you look at it relative to other 1 team multi million pop towns across the world.
They need in town competition.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Dont want to the teams playing the last 2 to 4 games

Suncorp surface will be a mess if they do their usual returf or its wet

TheFrog

Coach

The NQ fans only get to see their team play 12 times a year, to see them at an away game is quite costly, the closest away game is in brisbane (1500kms away), you’re looking at a lot of money to achieve it ($1k, flights,hotels, all associated $$))

Fans of sydney clubs can attend their teams away games with relative ease, so losing a home game to the magic weekend isn’t that big of a deal, whereas to NQ fans it will be.

Just my take on it.
In the Super League, it's not a home game for any of the teams, it is an additional round. The NRL probably couldn't cut a round at short notice, but they can add one on so everyone still gets their 12 home games.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not anti Brisbane at all, were my favorite team before the Storm came in. As a starting point, all teams should get 12 home games at their home location to start and if they want to take them to other places to expand their reach to supporters then so be it. Whether its a bigger ground to allow for a bigger crowd against certain opponents or regional to promote the game, that's their choice.

The NRL by stepping in to allocate Brisbane home games to non Brisbane teams should be either compensated significantly for the sacrifice or the home game distributions evened up across the competition across the season. One home game extra could make the difference between making/missing finals or even a top four spot, especially in a competition this year where the points from 1st to 8th were so close!
You're assuming the NRL is stepping in.

What I've been at pains to make clear in my posts is that the clubs involved all already take games away from their 12 home game allocation and may well be volunteering or offering to do this. Suggesting the NRL are just demanding they all do it is a wild assumption.

Ideally as someone else suggested this round would stand alone neutral in the same way Super League's does, but for the moment that doesn't appear to be the case. Hopefully if the concept continues beyond 2019 they investigate the possibility.
Timmah, if you want to look at how taking a home game "away" can be detrimental from a competitive view point, have a look at the Roosters records whenever they played the Newcastle Knights at Gosford. Whilst it was a financial boon for the club, in the 10 games played, the Roosters won 2 of them to the Knights 8. Do you want to try and argue that it didn't competitively disadvantage the Roosters playing the Knights right in the heart of an area viewed by many as part of the Knights supporter catchment?
Not sure what you're getting at here. The Roosters chose to do that.

Vee

First Grade
Deadset, the NRL are damned if they don't, then damned if they do. Fans need to make their minds up if they want crowds to grow.
Let's wait and see if the NRL are serious about growing crowds first. Thursday night footy and Friday 6pm footy. Serious? Yeah, right.

Valheru

Coach
It is a good idea for roosters to be one of the hosting teams given the SCG is our home ground for the next 2 years. As long as our opponent is a non Sydney team, I'm happy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder how much the NRL is stumping up to pay the 6 clubs who are losing home games? Clubs only take games on the road as they are financially well compensated by the host city. NRL must have offered a nice financial sweetener to the 6 clubs who put their hands up for loss of home games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Broncos crowds are poor when you look at it relative to other 1 team multi million pop towns across the world.
They need in town competition.

I wouldn't say they are poor, Id say they are middling to avg. for a city of 2.6million

T.S Quint

Coach
Just bumping this with clubs slowly starting to release details about home games.

So far the Tigers and Warriors have confirmed that they'll be "home" teams for this concept. Assuming Manly and Melbourne are two of the others given their double header involvement, that leaves four others.

Some clubs list 12 home games at their home venue/s already so can be ruled out:
Brisbane
Cronulla
Newcastle
Cowboys
Dragons

Other clubs:
  • Canberra don't say the number of home games, although they've already committed 1 match to Wagga Wagga so I can't see them being one.
  • Canterbury play 9 at ANZ with 3 elsewhere (this year was 2 Belmore 1 Perth). They've been a Suncorp double header home team before so definitely possible
  • Titans - definitely possible
  • Parramatta - fairly sure their NT arrangement has expired, so a possibility too
  • Penrith - committed to Bathurst already, can't see them giving up a second home game
  • Rabbitohs - 9 ANZ, 1 Gosford, with two others not yet confirmed - also could be Magic Weekend
  • Roosters - 9 SCG games, 1 Gosford, 1 Adelaide, 1 unannounced - could be Magic Weekend
My best guess at home teams is therefore Bulldogs, Titans, Manly, Storm, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Warriors & Wests Tigers.

JUst wanted to point out that the Eels renewed their arrangement with the NT in March this year for an extra two years (including 2018, so will expire after the 2019 season).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
JUst wanted to point out that the Eels renewed their arrangement with the NT in March this year for an extra two years (including 2018, so will expire after the 2019 season).
Links are helpful in these situations...

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
They should have the broncos, lions, reds and roar all play a game of each sport against each other for a weekend

This Year?

Immortal
I think it is an absolutely stupid idea and I don't see how it benefits anyone other than the Broncos. I think it would work if it was pre season set up like a carnival though.

Latest posts