What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don’t get all the whinging.

The recurring themes on this forum and in the crowds thread.

- there are too many games in Sydney
- we need another Brisbane team so we’re playing more games at Suncorp to boost crowds

You think people won’t travel for this? They will. It’s a festival of rugby league! It’s going to be awesome. The total crowd for the round will probably be up there with the highest of any round all year.

People are pissed cause it will potentially negatively effect their clubs in a completely unnecessary manner, and frankly for nothing in return.

If there are to many games in Sydney then take some out of Sydney, if we need another team in Brisbane then add a club in Brisbane, don't throw some stupid gimmick round and expect fans in places like Townsville, Newcastle, etc, to be happy with the prospect that one of their 12 home games will be taken away.

And do I think people will travel for this? Sure people from South East Queensland and surrounding areas will probably travel in numbers.
Will Raiders fans from Canberra travel in numbers if we lose a home game for this thing, no, cause most of them won't be able to afford and/or make it for a million different reasons, and it's wrong that they are negatively effected cause of politics in NSW and QLD and cause the NRL can't get their shit together.

And frankly who really cares if we get an increase in crowds, it'll be fleeting, incredibly minor, and will probably come at the expense of fan bases around the country which could lead to unexpected consequences...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah not really

The lowest average in Sydney is a high of 17° and low of 8° in July, that's not freezing.

We're already starting to get lower averages in Canberra now in April at 7°...

With the exception of the odd record-breakingly cold day, if you're using the cold as an excuse not to go to a game in Sydney then you never wanted to go in the first place and you would have found any excuse not to go, well that or you don't really know what cold is...

Marlins

Juniors
So home games to
Brisbane - Home goround
Souths - instead of Cairns/Perth
Bulldogs - instead of Perth/NZ
Storm - DH
Manly - DH
Wests - Instead of NZ DH
GC - ? Up the road
Roosters - instead of CC/ADL

Marlins

Juniors
I’ll come to Brisbane for this.
I hope it has like a magic Ticket for all games at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Vee

Saint Doc

Coach
People are pissed cause it will potentially negatively effect their clubs in a completely unnecessary manner, and frankly for nothing in return.

If there are to many games in Sydney then take some out of Sydney, if we need another team in Brisbane then add a club in Brisbane, don't throw some stupid gimmick round and expect fans in places like Townsville, Newcastle, etc, to be happy with the prospect that one of their 12 home games will be taken away.

And do I think people will travel for this? Sure people from South East Queensland and surrounding areas will probably travel in numbers.
Will Raiders fans from Canberra travel in numbers if we lose a home game for this thing, no, cause most of them won't be able to afford and/or make it for a million different reasons, and it's wrong that they are negatively effected cause of politics in NSW and QLD and cause the NRL can't get their shit together.

And frankly who really cares if we get an increase in crowds, it'll be fleeting, incredibly minor, and will probably come at the expense of fan bases around the country which could lead to unexpected consequences...

At the moment, off the topic of my head, the following teams already take games on the road (away from their home ground)
- Melbourne (Suncorp)
- Manly (Suncorp)
- Roosters (Central coast, Adelaide)
- Souths (Perth, Cairns)
- Bulldogs (Perth)
- Tigers (NZ, Tamworth)
- Dragons (Mudgee)
- Titans (Gladstone, Toowoomba)
- Panthers (Bathurst)
- Eels (Darwin)

10/16 clubs are already keen and see the benefits of moving games around and enjoying the financial benefits of doing so. If the 3 regional clubs you mentioned don’t want to host a game, they can be the away team. Simple

You say there are a million reasons it’s wrong but haven’t really named one

Marlins

Juniors
Something like that would work
Thur
Broncos vs Dragons
Fri
Manly vs Warriors
Titans vs Eels
Sat
Wests vs Sharks
Bulldogs vs Knights
Souths vs Cowboys
Sun
Roosters vs Raiders
Storm vs Panthers

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
From a bloke in alice springs whose opportunities to see games are very limited this is a great idea. 8 games over 4 days, as long as its set in the calendar I'll be there.

Rugby league (or the world for that matter) doesn't just revolve around you merkins living in Sydney.

Travitoh

First Grade
I went to magic weekend in 2015 up in Newcastle. It was great with all the supporters coming together for a celebration of rugby league. I would normally get behimd Leeds but met a group of Castleford fans who were a great laugh so got behind them v Wakefield.
What makes it such a success however is the fact that it's a 2 hour train from Leeds to Newcastle.
How long would it take by train to get from Sydney to Brisbane?

Playing games on the Thursday and Friday still while makes sense from a broadcasting point of view, weakens the whole point of Magic Weekend. It'd be better off being played in a potential expansion market where not only the game can campaign to a new supporter base but the clubs can too.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No, no, no, no no! I mean I live in Brisbane and would love to see more RL here but why not use this as a promotional tool in Auckland, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide? A properly marketed event will pull in 160k for the weekend at any of those locations once you throw in travelling fans, local fans and curious 'event goers'.

M2D2

Bench
From a bloke in alice springs whose opportunities to see games are very limited this is a great idea. 8 games over 4 days, as long as its set in the calendar I'll be there.

Rugby league (or the world for that matter) doesn't just revolve around you merkins living in Sydney.
Explains all the utter and complete bullshit you post.

This is a stupid idea.

siv

First Grade
Has anyone asked the opinion of the 7 non Broncos clubs season member ticketed member opinion

I will be pretty pissed off if one of my teams regular PAID membership games is moved from my teams home ground

I dont plan to pay travel and accomidation costs for this

siv

First Grade
No, no, no, no no! I mean I live in Brisbane and would love to see more RL here but why not use this as a promotional tool in Auckland, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide? A properly marketed event will pull in 160k for the weekend at any of those locations once you throw in travelling fans, local fans and curious 'event goers'.

Seems the QRL is taking over the NRL

thorson1987

Coach
Meh, not a fan of it, but we already take a home game to Suncorp each year so as long as this isn't added to it or it's an away game I'm not overly fussed.

siv

First Grade
Lets understand the UK stuation

Magic weekend hasnt been moved off the M62

That means when clubs played in Manchester Magic Weekend almost everyone was within 2 to 3hr drive from home. Only London and Catalans had travel issues

For their Newcastle round where there was a attendance drop it was about 4hr away

But for Suncorp only 2 of 16 clubs are within 2hr drive. Bar Melbourne and Auckland every one else is up to 14 hours away by car

There is the same issue with 7s/9s

Not having a carnival atmosphere wont keep fans engaged for long

Not to mention the logistics of moving 80,000 people interstate

Saint Doc

Coach
Lets understand the UK stuation

Magic weekend hasnt been moved off the M62

That means when clubs played in Manchester Magic Weekend almost everyone was within 2 to 3hr drive from home. Only London and Catalans had travel issues

For their Newcastle round where there was a attendance drop it was about 4hr away

But for Suncorp only 2 of 16 clubs are within 2hr drive. Bar Melbourne and Auckland every one else is up to 14 hours away by car

There is the same issue with 7s/9s

Not having a carnival atmosphere wont keep fans engaged for long

Not to mention the logistics of moving 80,000 people interstate

Hasn’t been moved off M62?? Absolute drivel.

3/11 years in Manchester.
The other 8 years in Cardiff, Edinburgh and Newcastle.

Use google if you don’t know what you’re talking about