What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

Knightmare

Coach
Saints are big enough in SEQLD to anchor a day, and probably the Storm,Cowboys and Warriors, so that could help.

Cowboys
Storm
Warriors
Dragons
Souths
Bulldogs
Eels

Will all hold up their end of the bargain re. numbers. Give those 7 teams games against the lower-drawing sides, and make the 8th game Broncos v Sharks maybe?

franklin2323

Immortal
I don’t get all the whinging.

The recurring themes on this forum and in the crowds thread.

- there are too many games in Sydney
- we need another Brisbane team so we’re playing more games at Suncorp to boost crowds

You think people won’t travel for this? They will. It’s a festival of rugby league! It’s going to be awesome. The total crowd for the round will probably be up there with the highest of any round all year.

Mothers Day weekend. Goodluck any guy that gets to go away for it should be in a developing market. Bris and Sydney get plenty of footy

franklin2323

Immortal
At the moment, off the topic of my head, the following teams already take games on the road (away from their home ground)
- Melbourne (Suncorp)
- Manly (Suncorp)
- Roosters (Central coast, Adelaide)
- Souths (Perth, Cairns)
- Bulldogs (Perth)
- Tigers (NZ, Tamworth)
- Dragons (Mudgee)
- Titans (Gladstone, Toowoomba)
- Panthers (Bathurst)
- Eels (Darwin)

10/16 clubs are already keen and see the benefits of moving games around and enjoying the financial benefits of doing so. If the 3 regional clubs you mentioned don’t want to host a game, they can be the away team. Simple

You say there are a million reasons it’s wrong but haven’t really named one

I doubt this will gain any club 1 single supporter

The Great Dane

First Grade
At the moment, off the topic of my head, the following teams already take games on the road (away from their home ground)
- Melbourne (Suncorp)
- Manly (Suncorp)
- Roosters (Central coast, Adelaide)
- Souths (Perth, Cairns)
- Bulldogs (Perth)
- Tigers (NZ, Tamworth)
- Dragons (Mudgee)
- Titans (Gladstone, Toowoomba)
- Panthers (Bathurst)
- Eels (Darwin)

And now all those games all over the place in places that get precisely no footy on average are at risk of being canceled so that we can hold more games in Brisbane... What a great trade :rolleyes:.

10/16 clubs are already keen and see the benefits of moving games around and enjoying the financial benefits of doing so. If the 3 regional clubs you mentioned don’t want to host a game, they can be the away team. Simple

The problem is that none of the clubs should be forced to host games in places they don't want to, I mean I don't really care about the Sydney teams cause their fans have tons of extra games they could attend, but even they shouldn't be forced to lose hosting rights by the moral of it, and if Melbourne or whomever wants to lose a home game for this then that is up to them (their fans still have a right to be pissed though), but by it's very nature this Magic Weekend will inevitably force at least a few clubs to move one of their home games to Suncorp when they wouldn't have under any other circumstances and don't really want to as it is and that is BS.

Also why is the NRL doing this? Because they don't have the balls to tell the NSW government to get f##ked after they screwed them over the stadium deal, so to make it up to the Queensland government that now won't be hosting grand finals that they probably should at least be hosting some of they create this abortion, and in doing so screw a bunch of their fans, typically the fans that will be most effected by it are the ones from outside of Sydney and Brisbane in the places that can least afford it...

You say there are a million reasons it’s wrong but haven’t really named one

No I didn't, I said there were millions of reasons why people won't be make it and as such will lose a chance to see their team when they normally would have been able to go...

Hoofhearted

Juniors
It's already paying off from what I can see, there has been a lot of guys around our office today talking about this and thinking about a weekend in Brisbane next year. Thing is we are in WA and all these people are AFL fans. Myself and a few mates are going for sure and we are going to meet up with a group of our mates from NSW for the weekend.
This is the type of event that will attract neutrals and even non supporters which is the whole aim of the event.

T-Boon

Coach
What makes it such a success however is the fact that it's a 2 hour train from Leeds to Newcastle.
How long would it take by train to get from Sydney to Brisbane?

The thing is, I bet you go to Newcastle for the game and head straight home on the train after the game.

Our one is a little different because people will be getting on a plain ride that takes 2 hours and they will be staying up there on the gold coast for a few days and making it a weekend away. Thats why it works so well. I already have a group of 5 mates keen.

The thing about NRL fans is we don't do 2 hour train rides to get to a game for the day. Or 1 hour in the car. Not happening. But we might get on a plain for a game and a weekend on the GC.
Queenslanders fly down to Melbourne for state of origin for example but they won't get the train to the Gold Coast for Brisbane v GC.

Saint Doc

Coach
It's already paying off from what I can see, there has been a lot of guys around our office today talking about this and thinking about a weekend in Brisbane next year. Thing is we are in WA and all these people are AFL fans. Myself and a few mates are going for sure and we are going to meet up with a group of our mates from NSW for the weekend.
This is the type of event that will attract neutrals and even non supporters which is the whole aim of the event.

Yep. I’m in a punters club of 12 guys. Every year we have an “Annual General Meeting” (read: piss up) with the proceeds. Already talking about heading to either the 9’s or Magic Weekend.

T-Boon

Coach
Couldn't they at least have held it somewhere where the impact of such an event would be more significant as well, like Melbourne, Adelaide, or Perth,

Seriously? Adelaide. Yeah...hey guys lets go to Adelaide for a weekend of football and .... museums? churches?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Crowds suck, so it is necessary. Its not just Sydney, crowds in canberra suck as well.

Meh, considering the Raiders recent history and the uncontrollable circumstances that they face being based in Canberra (with the current government and all) we're doing alright. As a percentage of the population we're probably a better draw then anyone apart from Newcastle and Townsville.

Besides any gains in crowds from this will be fleeting, and it'll come at a cost as well.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Besides any gains in crowds from this will be fleeting, and it'll come at a cost as well.

Unlike a double header it will be a proper event. There will be a major sponsor like Qantas or someone. The Qld government will get behind it. The NRL will promote it unlike double headers. I predict great crowds and crowds elsewhere will be bigger because of it.

siv

First Grade
The thing is, I bet you go to Newcastle for the game and head straight home on the train after the game.

Our one is a little different because people will be getting on a plain ride that takes 2 hours and they will be staying up there on the gold coast for a few days and making it a weekend away. Thats why it works so well. I already have a group of 5 mates keen.

The thing about NRL fans is we don't do 2 hour train rides to get to a game for the day. Or 1 hour in the car. Not happening. But we might get on a plain for a game and a weekend on the GC.
Queenslanders fly down to Melbourne for state of origin for example but they won't get the train to the Gold Coast for Brisbane v GC.

Maybe for a single person with mates

But for a family with with kids - its too expensive to fly interstate for a single game

Yes you will get exyra Brisbane regional fans attend. But less than 10% of normal people who attend or who are season ticket, ANZ members or SFS members would bother to attend

It continues to devalue the seated membership

siv

First Grade
So ESL get 60k for 7 games

Or 8,500 per game.

Now as the Manchester is the middle of the M62

Lets do some basic distances

Manchester to Newcastle - 250km
Manchester to Cardiff - 330km
Manchester to Edinburgh - 350km

2 to 4hr drive

Like going at worst
Wollongong to Newcastle NSW - 268km
or Central Coast to Canberra - 351km

I can easily drive to my teams game and get home with kids in the same day

Its a big difference to

Sydney to Brisbane - 915km
Townsville to Brisbane - 1337km
Canberra to Brisbane - 1189km
Melbourne to Brisbane - 1781km

Which take one full day if not two to drive

T-Boon

Coach
So ESL get 60k for 7 games

Its a big difference to

Sydney to Brisbane - 915km
Townsville to Brisbane - 1337km
Canberra to Brisbane - 1189km
Melbourne to Brisbane - 1781km

Which take one full day if not two to drive

Seriously what are we risking by trying this??
Our magnificent crowd standards?
Lets give it a go, try to promote it properly and see what happens.

t-ba

Post Whore
Could the match simply be a 25th fixture thus avoiding teams losing home games? Maybe they'll eliminate the rep window weekend for next year. Seems like something this administration would do.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Could the match simply be a 25th fixture thus avoiding teams losing home games? Maybe they'll eliminate the rep window weekend for next year. Seems like something this administration would do.

Rlpa won't sign off on an extra game

Latest posts