What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magpies Victa Jerseys

magpiemax

Juniors
yappy said:
I think you'll find Gobbs that Classic were Throwbacks manufacturer.

Read into that what you will, but from what I've heard of Classic I won't be assuming the best of them. It looks like they've just about lost all of the NRL sides (including the Tigers I believe), as well as the el cheapo unsponsored jersey business (you know the ones you get at Kmart).

The Maggies ditched them because they were just hopeless, and it seems a few more people are agreeing with our assessment.

Just on a bit of a tangent - How f*cking good did the Kiwis look? Classic simple black and white jersey with the white shorts (to show up the oppositions blood stains) just like the great early 60's Magpies. I quite enjoyed that game for so many reasons.
must admit as much as i like the wests tigers,something just stands on the back of your neck at just the thought of a team running out in a black jersey with a white v (donnelly,raudonikus,boyd,ribot,mullins,libinskuis,dorahy,lamb,leis,lucas, dowling,bowland,cooper,brown,giteau,cogger,o'grady,rowles,alan neil,lidcombe oval and getting your nuts in the "shell or sugar coated"

Gobbso

Juniors
magpiemax said:
must admit as much as i like the wests tigers,something just stands on the back of your neck at just the thought of a team running out in a black jersey with a white v (donnelly,raudonikus,boyd,ribot,mullins,libinskuis,dorahy,lamb,leis,lucas, dowling,bowland,cooper,brown,giteau,cogger,o'grady,rowles,alan neil,lidcombe oval and getting your nuts in the "shell or sugar coated"

Gezzz i'm jealous of you old Magpie fans. I would've given anything to have watched the Magpies play in that sensational era. Just from the countless stories i've read on here, memories from my old man and late grandfather and read over and over and over again, its sounds as it was Rugby League and Western Suburbs at its best! ;-)

yappy

Bench
Sugar coated thanks Max.

Copy of big league, a pie and sauce, and a can of coke. Grab a spot on the benches behind the posts at the southern end so that when the Maggies score you get your mug on the Moose's call whilst you're throwing all the torn up bits of paper and dunny rolls with the guys with the big flags. Start moving towards the fence when the clock stops for the last five minutes so you can be over it like a flash and either grab a corner post or make for the players when the hooter sounds.

Then march down the road at the end of the game towards Olympic Drive making sure you walk close to someone with a tranny (how different the meaning of that phrase has become :lol: ) so you can catch Frank Hyde on 2SM doing the around the grounds.

$145 to relive those memories? Worth so much more.

i_like_footy

Juniors
$140 is not much of a reduction from the authentics so I dont think that $14 would be a big enticement for demand of these jerseys
just think pay $140 for an old or pay the extra $14 for a teams brand new jersey
its a good idea but I dont think that $140 would get people paying for them (with the excepion of die-hard supporters)

I dont think these jerseys cost as much to make as the polyester jerseys so why charge polyester price for cotton jerseys?

also its the off-season when jersey prices usually go down a bit (in some stores old and the teams latest design)

theyre doing this in the off-season and in a couple of months time new current NRL jerseys will be on sale
that will obvosely take away some demand for these retro jerseys so why not pitch them at a more attractive price than what you have them at now??

2 x 4

Juniors
cant wait to see the die hard boys at campbo next year all decked out in true magpie jerseys victa a aussie legend , mow em down maggies :twisted:

innsaneink

Referee
As a kid goin to Ashfield Boys High school from 74-76, we played rugby union but the school got all the old jumpers from Wests Leagues club next door.
It was always an honour for me to put one of those old smelly jerseys on
( they were like 10 years old & 10 sizes too big,they were like dresses, coming down past all our knees.)
Most of me mates were Roosters fans coz they were the big thing at the time...they couldnt understand what a big deal it was for me.
My best mate,Bucky,was a Parra fan,but he also played League with me on
the weekends for Holman whos colors were blue n gold, as well as union for the school through the week.
He always reckoned I played like a girl on the weekends but like Ray Price on the Wednesdays...always said I had a bludge on saturdays.
I think it was them magic old jumpers.

wounded magpie

Juniors
I ordered my jumper today, and can't wait until Monday when it should arrive.

Whilst I could have spent the $160 an a million other things (like the wife and kids), going to Lidcombe Oval on those Sunday was a special part of my life, and crikey I deserve to spoil myself every now and then.

yappy

Bench
8) That's the spirit champ! You won't be a Wounded Magpie once you get it on your back - you'll be bloody 10 foot tall and bullet proof!

magpiemax

Juniors
yeah..it was a great feeling to que up at that old brick gates to lidcombe oval(turnstiles)on a sunday i always remember walking in to the right into the ground basically walking in to the left was for people who could afford to go to that massive :lol: grandstand we once had.then i remember an elderly gent who walked around in a white dust coat and shout out"doubles on the main game,cmon 1 dollar for da first try scorer on either side."i thought what da heck why not in those days all i had was only a buck.....come to think of it,thats all i got these days as well.anyway i remember playing a side like norths and remembering that they had elderly supporters mostly.and how amazed i was at how these little old ladies doing their knitting and knowing just about every reserve grader by their first name.and then finally having sweaty palms waiting for first grade to start.and then winning and as yappy said walking up along da railway line to lidcombe railway,and thinking how great its going to be watchin dallas donnelly kicking that field goal for his mum on channel 7 that night.he kicked it for his mum it was mothers day.if i could go back in time i would want just want 10 minutes back at lidcombe oval. :(

wounded magpie

Juniors
Reading your comments Magpiemax, sent a shiver up my spine.

We used to sit on the hill opposite the stand, however when the crowd reached say 13 000, went straight for the cycle track (best seat in Sydney it was).

After the game we used to run on the field, and try to reinact the days play. We used to take conversions from sand mounds on the field and then play the traditional game of touch (which then became grab - held- tackle.

And of course when walking out of the ground, sing that mighty song;

"We are the boys from Western Suburbs, come along and give a cheer"
etc etc

Talking about field goals, what about Geoff Foster....He used to kick a few, and they were as fluent off the boot as Dallas's.

Ah memories

Go the Pies (and of course Tigers)

magpiemax

Juniors
wounded magpie said:
Reading your comments Magpiemax, sent a shiver up my spine.

We used to sit on the hill opposite the stand, however when the crowd reached say 13 000, went straight for the cycle track (best seat in Sydney it was).

After the game we used to run on the field, and try to reinact the days play. We used to take conversions from sand mounds on the field and then play the traditional game of touch (which then became grab - held- tackle.

And of course when walking out of the ground, sing that mighty song;

"We are the boys from Western Suburbs, come along and give a cheer"
etc etc

Talking about field goals, what about Geoff Foster....He used to kick a few, and they were as fluent off the boot as Dallas's.

Ah memories

Go the Pies (and of course Tigers)
yeah they were great days,but its time to move on and hopefully these wests tigers can do what we have not done since 1952.also keep in mind that those days of yesteryear
were also great because we were younger as well.but hopefully our kids will have the same memories of wests tigers when they are our age.
cheers max

Nikki

Coach
R u the guys who get out to every Magpies game and have that really loud noise maker???

magpiemax

Juniors
Nikki said:
R u the guys who get out to every Magpies game and have that really loud noise maker???
no, but i have been known to have a large horn.
p.s.....wounded magpie do you remember those drag cars they once had at half time?wasnt the sound absolutely deafning?

Juniors
Boys,
After many many telephone calls to Throwbacks (Classic) and some help from some old Magpies who helped out along the way with "The Gobbs" who sent me some good old photo's, and Roy Masters who put me in the right direction.....I finally managed to convince them to produce these jerseys and I feel very very proud.

A couple of points though that you may want to know,

* these jersey's wont be too original although they will very much look like the real deal.

* They will not be 100% cotton like the real ones from 78-82 , they will be about 60%.

* Westmont were the original producers and I am hoping that they will respond with something also, (The VICTA Track top top) which looked fantastic.

* I will be lobbying Classic to reproduce the "Thickset" type of numbers that adorned these great "Victa" jerseys so that the numbers we get wont be the modern rubbish that is available these days but the thicker type they had in the good old days.

Thanks again to all the guys who help.....Rick Wayde too who had this idea at the same time as me, and Warren MacDonald who also supported it as well.

Roy Masters told me on the phone that he will be getting one and when I gave Bruiser back his old IPEC jersey at henson Park a little while back he said he wanted one as well so I bet they will be selling like hotcakes.

Take care guys

See youz at the footy next year,

( Bill )

yappy

Bench
Massive cheer for you Billy boy. A dead set legend. Such a small thing, but boy has it brought joy to a lot of Magpie hearts. BTW are you going to the presentation night? Would like to thank you personally for your work getting these up.

They are going to sell like hot cakes. My missus let the cat out of the bag - I don't need to wait til chrissy - just another fortnight til my birthday :D .

I told the diehards down at the City this arvo and it was erections all around. Gonna be a lot a happy boys decked out in Victa next season.

On the loud noise maker - that's Peter and his clacker. He doesn't get on here though - he's too busy sinking schooners and beating everyone at pool at the pub.

Juniors
I will hope to go to the presentation night but am on a bit of a budget and will have to ask the Mrs if she wants to go but I will have to pump it up and say that Ryan Girdler, Luke Ricketson and that Craig Wing bloke are there to get her to come along.......... would love to have a beer with you Yappy and chat about the old Wests days.

This is a victory for the old days when as kids we used to go to Lidcombe and watch our players play. This is a victory for Good Old fashioned Rugby League.

Bill.

yappy

Bench
Good old fashioned Rugby League - what a beautiful idea. No "vision", no "franchises", no "super" anything. Just a team and a group of people who care because its their team. I'll drink to that Bill. Hope I'll drink to it with you mate. Look farward to talking about old times, and good days to come.

wounded magpie

Juniors
Received my Victa jumper today, and put it on straight away. I tell you what, I felt 10 feet tall and like a man of steel. Wore it to Kings Langley shops, and it was amazing how many comments I got (all positive).

Best $160 investment I made for some time, especially after my atrocious few weeks on the punt.

Gobbso

Juniors
Ohhhh, its enough to make you melt at the sight of it....

That's it, before uni on thursday i'm gonna drive up the road and put my order in at Rick Wayde's Footy Shop. I can't wait any longer....Even if i just have it and don't put it on till Christmas, at least i can still marvel at it and count down the days till i can wear that magnificant piece of Black and White History :lol:

Latest posts