What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Announcement at 12pm Today

Serc

First Grade
LOL, seriously...do you ever give up? Its a shame the mods around here don't do anything about you because you have such an effect (much of it stifling) on much of the discussion around here. I've thrashed the Smith issue enough with you and haven't bothered trying to talk about it for a while save for a bit of new info here and there.

Karmawave

Bench
LOL, seriously...do you ever give up? Its a shame the mods around here don't do anything about you because you have such an effect (much of it stifling) on much of the discussion around here. I've thrashed the Smith issue enough with you and haven't bothered trying to talk about it for a while save for a bit of new info here and there.

No seriously... he FAILED.

End of story. Just admit it once in a while and then I wouldn't have to keep going on about it trying to GET you to admit it.

Jobdog

Live Update Team

End of story. Just admit it once in a while and then I wouldn't have to keep going on about it trying to GET you to admit it.
No. He didn't fail - the last six weeks he's failed, by not stepping aside immediately. Sure, he didn't get us to the semi-finals in the two years he fulfilled, but lets face it, the first year he was left with Hagan's also-rans, the second he got us to within a whisker of making the semis and the third he got us into a fabulous position to make the semis before announcing the Roosters move, which has derailed our last six or so weeks.

Coastbloke

Bench
Time for nurturing of Newcastle Juniors again...

Rick Stone - hopefully - will recognise this and soon we'll start seeing the next Joeys, Simmos and Chiefs... :crazy:

Jesfery

Juniors
No. He didn't fail - the last six weeks he's failed, by not stepping aside immediately. Sure, he didn't get us to the semi-finals in the two years he fulfilled, but lets face it, the first year he was left with Hagan's also-rans, the second he got us to within a whisker of making the semis and the third he got us into a fabulous position to make the semis before announcing the Roosters move, which has derailed our last six or so weeks.

Agreed.... If anyone has failed its our Management for allowing Smith to do the deal with the Rorters.

That said, I think getting him out of the place now is the right call... Just hope its not too late.

otori

Juniors

Lol a fabulous position?

Serc

First Grade
Craig Hamilton also said Smithy has offered his assistance to Stone for the rest of the season should he want it.

Stone, Burro and Tew were at the press conference...with a statement by Smithy supplied to the media this morning I think.

Serc

First Grade

Admit what? That the team has mostly been on the right track since day one 2008, and was heading towards a 4th or 5th on the ladder this year until our insightful management screwed things up?

You think this is your moment of triumph - whereas the rest of us know that today is the day you crawled back a few steps on the good dozen or so you've lost on your Smith agenda mission over the past few years.

Agreed.... If anyone has failed its our Management for allowing Smith to do the deal with the Rorters.

Thats who I'm most annoyed at too, then the players and Smithy after that for completely losing the plot since!

antonius

Coach
At the end of the day Smiths early announcement that he was leaving the club has resulted in his time here a failure IMO. Who knows how the remainder of the season would have panned out. He leaves the club in limbo, and all things taken into account no better than when he arrived here.
Our junior system has gone to the pack and will take years to recover. We have a first grade team that apart from a couple is made up of players that wouldn't make it in any other NRL first grade side. Some of those are on ridiculous amounts of money for what they bring to the club. The worst part of that is we are stuck with them for next season, and for the most the following season as well.

To top it off we have now hired Smiths clone as our next coach. Will the fringe players we have play for this guy, or does it need Smith to get them motivated? The tenure of Brian Smith is over and it will take some time to recover from I think.

otori

Juniors
Four weeks ago we were on the cusp of the top four, so yes, I'd say that qualifies as being "fabulous" ...

Was referring to the word use not your opinion on how the season was going! Fabulous is not a word I'd associate with league or to describe a team's position :sarcasm:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Was referring to the word use not your opinion on how the season was going! Fabulous is not a word I'd associate with league or to describe a team's position :sarcasm:
Fabulous, great, awesome, fully sic bro. They all pretty much mean the same thing ;-)

Karmawave

Bench
Four weeks ago we were on the cusp of the top four, so yes, I'd say that qualifies as being "fabulous" ...

Yeah and the $1.70 favourite Fab Fevola was in a fabulous position leading at the 200m mark in the 4th at Doomben too before being unplaced.

It all comes down to what it ends up like at the end.