What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Announcement at 12pm Today

Big Tim

First Grade
Sports Tonight currently reporting that "Brian Smith walks out on Knights"

Love sensationalism.

Other than offering Smith the piddly 1 year deal, the Knights have handled themsevles pretty well in the face of all the anti-Newcastle/Smith media stories, and seemed to have discussed with both parties before making any decisions.

Rick can seal his 3rd year with a win on Monday IMO.

IanG

Coach
Also in the Big Pond Video of the Team Announcement Rick Stone was the one there instead of Brian Smith. Wonder if that was a clue to something.

Karmawave

Bench
Today is one of the better days in the history of the Knights.

Finally we are cancer free, and can set about recovering not only our season ( I think we'll make the 8 now ) but more importantly our junior system as well.

cram

Bench

Finally we are cancer free, and can set about recovering not only our season ( I think we'll make the 8 now ) but more importantly our junior system as well.

Oh, my God.....this is a very historic day!!!:D :crazy:

roopy

Referee
I have to say that Stone looks more like 52 than 42.
God knows what a few years coaching firstgrade will do to him.

antonius

Coach
Very interesting period in the clubs history is upon us. Have to say I'm not that confident ATM.

Whats Doing

Bench
Very interesting period in the clubs history is upon us. Have to say I'm not that confident ATM.

Usually a change of coach does wonders. Lets give Stoney our full support and see whats happens.

If it doesn't work out, Yosh keep your clip board close to your side :D

antonius

Coach
Usually a change of coach does wonders. Lets give Stoney our full support and see whats happens.

If it doesn't work out, Yosh keep your clip board close to your side :D
I'm more thinking long term. We may well win a couple of games on the back of this, but we've signed Stone for two years. A man relitively unproven. Who's served under Hagan (enough said) and Smith.

Nuffy

Bench
Time will tell, I hope Stone is a raging success but it would seem from a distance that Stone was the popular choice.................... but was he the best choice.

The elephant in the room is the fact that it seems that the club didn't actually speak to anyone, do we know whether they actually formally interviewed Stone.

"jobs for the boys" can bite you bigtime, I hope this isn't another case.

The Board, Chief and Burro have a awful lot riding on Stones success, they backed him without a true selection process so its a massive leap of faith, as a fan I genuinely hope he succeeds, but if he doesn't then the fallout will be spectacular.

antonius

Coach
He was the popular players choice (not always a good thing) Why do the Knights always seem to do things that approach the realms of dumb? Why not appoint him as interim coach, and go through the process!!! I think your on the money Nuffy. seems to be jobs for the boys. Like you I hope I'm wrong, and he's a roaring success, but past record of our club on these sort of dealings suggests otherwise. Have to say the events around our club over the last five years are very very depressing.

Yosh

Coach

I really hope your right, I am not disagreeing with you and honestly I have no idea how we'll go. Stone is unproven but if he can instill a stone cold mentality into our players we'll be a much stronger team :sarcasm:

Anyways obvoiusly wish him all the best!

OR ELSE BOOM Yosh to coach Knights 2012!

Nuffy

Bench
Tony

When we had Joey, Bedsy et al, most decisions looked after themselves and the impact on the team and club were limited.

Over the last 5 years, with the depletion of the teams quality and retirement of Joey, playing and non playing decisions have been infinitely more important.

To be fair, the club seems to be better run under Burro and facilities have improved immeasurably. Brainsnaps however are still just a heartbeat away.

Exhibit one............... the Smith saga. Again, no issue with him leaving nor the club releasing him from the contract. It was the all too predicatable 3 ring media circus that it turned into. How did no one associated with the club see the potential ramifications?

So with that in mind, why not run a thorough recruitment process, just to make sure its a quality decision?

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
Brian Smith's Knights coaching career = FAIL.
Wrong.

First Grade - Partial Credit. Did a great job in getting rid of the dead wood. Was doing a fantastic job this year right up to when he deserted his players. Did the job he was ultimately asked to do. He did a great job of getting the squad winning games after the end of Joey's career - a lot quicker than many thought would be possible.

Facilities - Pass. Much better coaching staff and facilities under Smith. He deserves the credit for this. Hagan asked for what Smith made happen for years and never got it.

Juniors - Fail. Seems to have ignored this part of the Knights culture. Started to correct it but too little, too late.

So Karma...it hasn't been a complete fail. In many ways his legacy will be felt for many years to come. Some good, some bad, but for the most of it for the better.

Karmawave

Bench
Wrong.

First Grade - Partial Credit. Did a great job in getting rid of the dead wood. Was doing a fantastic job this year right up to when he deserted his players. Did the job he was ultimately asked to do. He did a great job of getting the squad winning games after the end of Joey's career - a lot quicker than many thought would be possible.

Facilities - Pass. Much better coaching staff and facilities under Smith. He deserves the credit for this. Hagan asked for what Smith made happen for years and never got it.

Juniors - Fail. Seems to have ignored this part of the Knights culture. Started to correct it but too little, too late.

So Karma...it hasn't been a complete fail. In many ways his legacy will be felt for many years to come. Some good, some bad, but for the most of it for the better.

Clutchfest.

Part fail, semi fail, little fail = still fail.

CJG 182

Juniors
F*ck Karma you're embarrassing when it comes to anything related to Smith.

Your repetition is painful, not fully and generally incorrect. Snore.

Bad feelings about the next few years. I hope we're content in the 9-12 spots.

Alex28

Coach
As for the appointment of Rick Stone...I can't help but think that we have taken the easiest option rather than make the hard decision of employing someone out of the club and risking losing Stone as an assistant. The old boys/looking after their mates mentality is back alive and well within the club? Did he get the role because he was the best applicant or because he is mates with blokes up high within the club?

Looking at Michael Maguire's resume I'm not all that convinced.

antonius

Coach
Tony

When we had Joey, Bedsy et al, most decisions looked after themselves and the impact on the team and club were limited.

Over the last 5 years, with the depletion of the teams quality and retirement of Joey, playing and non playing decisions have been infinitely more important.

To be fair, the club seems to be better run under Burro and facilities have improved immeasurably. Brainsnaps however are still just a heartbeat away.

Exhibit one............... the Smith saga. Again, no issue with him leaving nor the club releasing him from the contract. It was the all too predicatable 3 ring media circus that it turned into.

So with that in mind, why not run a thorough recruitment process, just to make sure its a quality decision?
Exactly, and they haven't.

To be honest I'm sick of hearing how we ran with Joey and Buderus. Other clubs have run without them, or have moved on successfully after losing major players. We don't do that. We seem to have a knack of paying extraordinary amounts of money for players that are mediocre to say the least. You can excuse the odd one but really we have signed some real bloopers in the last eight years, that eventually has to have an impact. Why is it we seem to be doing this consistantly, other clubs seem to unearth enuine stars, or are able recruit really astutely. We seem to have the ability to respond to knee jerk signings on a regular basis. I'll be honest (and a lot here wont agree) but I'm not wrapped in our current roster.

CJG 182

Juniors
Macguire, Flanagan... would have been good to at least have at look these two..

Jobs for the boys.

I would rather give Ben Rogers the captaincy for a season than repeat the Hagan years.

Latest posts