What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Changes Need to Be Made

salvy71

Juniors
Whats not correct.

Teams arent going to let you get away with what you were doing at the end of last year. Good teams anyway.

And the same thing happend at the Warriors, they offloaded like crazy, got them some success, then teams figured out how to play them and control it. Look at the Tigers tonight, always tried to get hold of an arm or both in the tackle.

That sh*t aint going to stop.

Offloads work if there are players backing up and following the man hitting the ball up ....the difference between last year and this year is that nobody is backing up - which is probably why Mateo isn't passing the ball ....there's nobody around to catch it .

salvy71

Juniors
2nd week in a row that I don't think Mateo passed. I seems to me that DA said to him you have to be conservative and now he is deliberately not passing.

I think it's more a case of nobody backing up to enable him to pass the ball , a successful team has a player hitting the ball up and at least 2 following them up in case of an offload ....at the moment the boys are hitting the ball up 1 out - it's attitude more than anything.
Same goes for defence - last year when they made the grand final they were moving up fast , at the moment they're hanging back - which is why Marshall carved em up all night long .

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Offloads work if there are players backing up and following the man hitting the ball up ....the difference between last year and this year is that nobody is backing up - which is probably why Mateo isn't passing the ball ....there's nobody around to catch it .

I noticed a couple of times Mateo was screaming for someone to back up for offloads.

bartman

Immortal
Halves aren't a big problem imo, and not where changes need to be made.

I think our problems are:
a) Lack of discipline
b) Errors
c) Lack of go forward
d) Lack of passion/desire (could be inflated egos/expectations)

Fix these four, and you don't need to "fix" the halves imo.

bartman

Immortal
Having seen a bit about how people are playing this season, here's a line-up I think might do better by the time we hit the back half of the season.

Don't think these changes should be made now, but unless we start getting into gear much better by say round 8, then a re-adjustment might be called for.

1. Burt - can read a game defensively and position his wingers better than anyone else
2. Inu - has made the most of openings and can be fitted into the starting side
3. Reddy - obviously will play on Grothe's side
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Hayne - roving commission in attack, just has to hold his spot in the line in defence. Not losing anything by not having Morts there imo, Burt/Inu's contribution to the side > Morts
7. K Keating - with Hayne at 6, you need someone with some temperament and spark at 7. Morts isn't it, and Robson would be better at...
13. Robson - can still contribute his effort in defence in this role, and be called upon to step in to help and steady the ship in attack if we need it. Mateo can do what he does (very little at the moment) as impact from the bench.
12. Smith - goes ok. Would benefit from some better direction in the forwards to improve his game, someone to learn off but there isn't anyone shining at the moment.
11. Hindmarsh - really needs a rest to be fresh, but with the loss of Shackleton we've not no choice but to keep playing Hindy.
10. Moimoi - was good enough to start last year, just not breaking the line like he did. He's trying his guts out, it's just not happening yet.
9. M Keating - there really is no-one else. I think Mitchell isn't ready for NRL. I guess if he needs a spell during the game Robson can give him a breather at dummy half, allowing Mateo time to come on.
8. Mannah - why not? Starting Cayless isn't really achieving much imo.

14. Mortimer
- I think he could come on and contribute spark in attack, but he's not up to having the responsibility for 80 mins yet. You can basically throw him into the halves when you needed, and take anyone else in the team off (replace a back and Hayne shifts into the backline, replace a forward and K Keating shifts to lock or hooker).
15. Cayless - would add some experience from the bench, hopefully improve his go forward if he has a longer warm-up pre-match?
16. Poore - hopefully he'll come good over time, work on fitness at training. Don't know why he's not breaking the line yet.
17. Mateo - we all know his skills, I just don't see the point in starting him in the first 30 mins when we're not yet going forward to make use of them. He can do what he does now as impact, and maybe turn a game, rather than tire himself out while we're giving it away in the first half.

Other fill-ins when needed: Oake and Horo (forwards), Wright (backs). Don't think we should rush in any hooker/playmaker if we lose one, just utilise Robson and play an extra back rower.

hindy111

Post Whore
Im not sure we need major changes.We have played bad and only just lost. A forward needs to step up.I think ando will make changes this week personaly.Not many just a few slight adjustments to keep everyone on there toes

yy_cheng

Coach
1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Reddy
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Mateo
7. KK
13.Robson
12.Smith
11.Hindy
10.Poore
9. MKeating
8. FFMM

14. Mortz
15. Mannah
16. Caylo
17. Horo/INU

Robbo to do what he does best, defend and clean up but take him away from playmaking.
Switch Mateo to 6 so when the defense does rush in, he has the footwork and offloading to get us out of a bad situation.

Poore is there because I think that if he works with FFMM, it might get the best out of him ala Weymann.

Out of KK and Mortz, KK is quicker, throws smoother passes and I think a better kicking game.

Delboy

First Grade
We don't need major changes, a new 7 and a back up hooker off the bench that adds speed around the ruck.

Keep Horo for his size and Oake back to Wenty, and if Captain doesn't aim up in the next couple of weeks , another bullet to bite. We cant play a 7 that takes 2 steps to pass the ball, (but he can tackle). look how may toimes he put support under pressure due to slow service

parra pete

Referee
I hate to say it, but Hindy should move to prop and let an attacking second rower come into the team. The old warhorse seems to be on his last legs.
Hindy, the new scapegoat....

bartman

Immortal
Hindy's basically playing a prop's game now. If one of our four props get injured or suspended, I wouldn't be surprised to see that shift happen.

Hindy just looks like he would benefit from a rest, but with Shack out he can't really get one.

lingard

Coach
KKKKKKaaaaaaarthunk....That's the sound of supporters arses being chucked in the corner.
West were too good, and when a side is too good there is SFA you can do about it

Wests were incredible, actually. No-one`s giving them credit. I think it`s Jeff Robson`s fault. :roll:

lingard

Coach
Sometimes you have to look outside the box to win. We probably would have to look outside the club for a decent. I heard that Hodkinson was keen to come home but we didn't have any room/funds for him. He too would look good as our number 7.

And I would have seriously looked at signing Todd Carney before the year simply because our biggest weakness by far was halfback. And he would have come cheap. There was a chance it would have blown up in our face and it still might blow up in the Roosters face. But they took a risk and it just might be the best signing of the year.

Not against Benji Marshall, Tim Moltzen, Gareth Ellis, Robbie Farrah and Lote Tuquiri, he wouldn`t.

lingard

Coach
We don't need major changes, a new 7 and a back up hooker off the bench that adds speed around the ruck.

Keep Horo for his size and Oake back to Wenty, and if Captain doesn't aim up in the next couple of weeks , another bullet to bite. We cant play a 7 that takes 2 steps to pass the ball, (but he can tackle). look how may toimes he put support under pressure due to slow service

And let me see.....your new 7 would be the dynamic, the wonderful, the guy who looks good, the guy who provides spark, the ..........oh, Kris Keating.
I don`t think so. Not so far, anyway.

PJ Marshal

Coach
poor old ben smith makes some terrible optios in defence and gives away too many silly penalties

id have him on the bench if our back row depth wasnt so slim

plus its a pitty our hooking depth isnt greater, because matt keating makes some terrible options at times....prob needs a bit of time off theb ench or at wenty

Last edited:

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Keating and Mortimer in the halves would put the opposition defence in 2 minds, they will not know who is kicking or running the plays each tackle. At the moment they know mortimer is the only one doing it all because robson simply cant.

And as much as a i love cayless, i would give him 4-6 weeks and if he isnt improving, anderson should pull him aside and have a quiet word with him, he is only starting because of his role at the club, he should see he for himself is not delivering and aiming up and stand down himself, he will receive a lot more respect that way.

caylo

Bench
we do need a few changes but nothing overy drastic IMO. Our pack is fine, they just need to warm to the task. It is difficult to play a high risk footy (like we did last year) without making some errors.

Importantly is the defence on the edges which I am worried about, I think round one with Inu and Tahu was our best peformance in defence and IMO Reddy needs to shift to the wing and Inu to the centres. Reddy can handle hard runners on the edges but I think he doesnt read what wide running halves like Benji, Soward and Mullen do and IMO Inu reads those plays much better. Outside of that I think KK has to be promoted with Robo moving to #9 or 14, while our dumby halfs arnt the best they are solid and they arnt our biggest problem. IMO Robson does not pass quick enough and shunts our attack sometimes.

fanaticeel

Juniors
IMO and for what its worth (about $1.95) I think we would go better with KK at 7 and Mortz at 6. Or even Morts at 7 and Feleti at 6.. just my $1.95 worth :sarcasm: