What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Changes Need to Be Made

Y2Eel

First Grade
I dont really understand all the Hype around the keating boys.....

for mine i would have Mortimer at 7 and Mateo at 6 Kris keating and Robson can fight out the bench spot..

Avenger

Immortal
I dont really understand all the Hype around the keating boys.....

for mine i would have Mortimer at 7 and Mateo at 6 Kris keating and Robson can fight out the bench spot..

I agree, Keating boys could be the new Witt boys.

Ant

Juniors
Look I dothink we need to make some improvements with team, but it is amazing each year how quick we are to right off our team and certain players.

Currently every member of the team needs to show improvement, but based on last year we know they have the talent. I don't think wholesale changes are required, some fine tuning.

I think the first half against Manly we were bad, but we were not horrible against the tigers or dragons and went down by 11 and 6 points respectively to two teams who are contenders 1st and 4th favs in betting going into the round. It's not like we were losing to hopeless teams, both teams had to play really well to beat us.

So yes we need to improve and I will bet that we will. I also agree there are some questions about the best make up of the team.

It;s a lot about attitude, we need to improve simple stuff.
- We need to have a faster moving defencive line and take better control in tackles.
- we need more options in our ruck play (multiple players in motion)
- we need better support for our forward, mateo and Cayless saw potential off loads go begging. Hayne is going great in other areas but is not a great support runner, we need all our backs to step up in this area.
- our halves need to concentrate on quick distribution, if they dsitribute effectively openings for them to run will come later in games.

I don't see any reason to change the halves or hookers because none of them have been going that great. One thing Robson can do is accurate bombs inside the 20m, Hayne is not suited to this role he is rarely pinpoint accurate.

I know every year for some reason eels fans like to hit the panic button and sack half the team, but have some faith. We are not being beaten by more than a couple of tries, and even on Friday it took two absolute pinpoint grubbers to get two of those tries.

Simple things will lead to improvements, not massive changes this early.

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
If these forums are any indication the Wenty team is going to get a dramatic influx of players in the coming weeks.

lucablight

First Grade
I agree, Keating boys could be the new Witt boys.

I think people have the wrong impression of K. Keating. People are having a go at Robson for not having a creative kicking and passing game but I don't see how K. Keating has shown he's any better in this department. Even last year when he was playing well his strengths were his running game and support play. I don't ever remember him putting people into gaps or setting up tries through kicks and getting repeat sets.

yy_cheng

Coach
One thing Robson can do is accurate bombs inside the 20m
Like the first or second kick which was way too far for our chaser to get near. He is to my mind, a cheaper Finch and I would only have him in the team because he is cheap.

CrazyEel

Bench
Like the first or second kick which was way too far for our chaser to get near. He is to my mind, a cheaper Finch and I would only have him in the team because he is cheap.
That's what I thought last year, this year I have come to realise he's not that good :crazy:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Geees, on 1st impression I thought this string was about whinging whining members of this Eels forum.... but alas I was wrong.
It seems they are still a protected species around here....
OK, lets see what they have to say this time around........ hhhmmmmm

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Having seen a bit about how people are playing this season, here's a line-up I think might do better by the time we hit the back half of the season.

Don't think these changes should be made now, but unless we start getting into gear much better by say round 8, then a re-adjustment might be called for.

1. Burt - can read a game defensively and position his wingers better than anyone else
2. Inu - has made the most of openings and can be fitted into the starting side
3. Reddy - obviously will play on Grothe's side
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Hayne - roving commission in attack, just has to hold his spot in the line in defence. Not losing anything by not having Morts there imo, Burt/Inu's contribution to the side > Morts
7. K Keating - with Hayne at 6, you need someone with some temperament and spark at 7. Morts isn't it, and Robson would be better at...
13. Robson - can still contribute his effort in defence in this role, and be called upon to step in to help and steady the ship in attack if we need it. Mateo can do what he does (very little at the moment) as impact from the bench.
12. Smith - goes ok. Would benefit from some better direction in the forwards to improve his game, someone to learn off but there isn't anyone shining at the moment.
11. Hindmarsh - really needs a rest to be fresh, but with the loss of Shackleton we've not no choice but to keep playing Hindy.
10. Moimoi - was good enough to start last year, just not breaking the line like he did. He's trying his guts out, it's just not happening yet.
9. M Keating - there really is no-one else. I think Mitchell isn't ready for NRL. I guess if he needs a spell during the game Robson can give him a breather at dummy half, allowing Mateo time to come on.
8. Mannah - why not? Starting Cayless isn't really achieving much imo.

14. Mortimer
- I think he could come on and contribute spark in attack, but he's not up to having the responsibility for 80 mins yet. You can basically throw him into the halves when you needed, and take anyone else in the team off (replace a back and Hayne shifts into the backline, replace a forward and K Keating shifts to lock or hooker).
15. Cayless - would add some experience from the bench, hopefully improve his go forward if he has a longer warm-up pre-match?
16. Poore - hopefully he'll come good over time, work on fitness at training. Don't know why he's not breaking the line yet.
17. Mateo - we all know his skills, I just don't see the point in starting him in the first 30 mins when we're not yet going forward to make use of them. He can do what he does now as impact, and maybe turn a game, rather than tire himself out while we're giving it away in the first half.

Other fill-ins when needed: Oake and Horo (forwards), Wright (backs). Don't think we should rush in any hooker/playmaker if we lose one, just utilise Robson and play an extra back rower.

There is a lot of merit to this proposal of yours Bart... I like it

I would consider
13. Smith and rotating with 2nd row if we bring Mateo into lock
7. Robson I would keep Robson at 7 and try Hayne at 6
Everything else you suggested is very doable. We need a stable 7 and I wouldn't move Robbo from there. Lets wait and see what happens when the forwards are firing up for a few matches before casting any further judgements over Robbo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm actually pretty content, believe it or not. I mean, we went from 15-nil to 15-12 in the space of minutes against Wests (ignoring the fact they outscored us, in terms of tries, 5 to 2), and with confidence and in good form I feel we would have gotten the bikkies. Obviously not to be that day - Wests were too good and good on them.

I am just saying that when we get it right, we will be laughing.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm actually pretty content, believe it or not. I mean, we went from 15-nil to 15-12 in the space of minutes against Wests (ignoring the fact they outscored us, in terms of tries, 5 to 2), and with confidence and in good form I feel we would have gotten the bikkies. Obviously not to be that day - Wests were too good and good on them.

I am just saying that when we get it right, we will be laughing.

Exactly. Anyone proposing changes atm needs to have a good hard look at themselves.

Suity

Exactly. Anyone proposing changes atm needs to have a good hard look at themselves.

Suity
its very hard to judge anything at the moment when we have no go forward and the halves have no room to work in so others get brain explosions and try low percentage plays to try and make something happen

IFR33K

Coach
Anyone suggesting Robbo as a hooker or 14, should give the game away.

He is too slow, has no running game, and has limited vision. Wouldnt A Mitchell be a better choice here, with KK and Morts in the halves. Or even Burt in the 14, as he is quick out of dummy half, and always make pleny of meters.

Mateo shouldnt be doing the 1 out hit ups. He should be looking to put players away with his amazing off loads.

I dont want to start bagging Hindmarsh, but surely he can run with a bit more venom in attack. He would have to be the slowest/softest back rower, running with the ball in his hands. I cant see him playing on to 2012.

Inu and Burt both need to be picked in the 17.

ROGUE

Juniors
If media speculation is correct and if KK has signed elsewhere do we bother with him at 7 or 6 at all

IFR33K

Coach
If media speculation is correct and if KK has signed elsewhere do we bother with him at 7 or 6 at all

Where and when did u hear this. I asked him, and he told me he will wait around 2 more weeks before deciding.

Latest posts