What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major League Baseball

Went to a few games in the States back in 2006 when I was over there with a team. Dodgers vs Braves and Padres vs Rockies (this was the same day as a Angels vs Yankees game, but we went here instead because the tour was run by a scout for the Rockies, which was a little disappointing). The experience over there was incredible, and I've never been as pumped for a sporting event as I am for this Sunday.

Red Bear

Referee
Yeah I went to 5 in the states last year, spent less than the cheapest ticket still available. Would love to go but don't have the money
My views at Wrigley were great though.
Night game
1269701_10151898580693872_583777032_o.jpg

Day game
1267151_10151898579313872_1504812830_o.jpg

Also went to Coors Field
556517_10151886166263872_364906128_n.jpg

And Citifield
739881_10151907253998872_1303110205_o.jpg

And Fenway Tour
1382083_10151942511798872_261162938_n.jpg

Teddyboy

First Grade
So Sydney fans can not fill grounds for there own sports but will for some yank import crap.

Snoochies

First Grade
So Sydney fans can not fill grounds for there own sports but will for some yank import crap.

Regardles if you like the sport or not, yes they will sell out because it's an urgency and rarity thing. Probably the one and only chance to see this.

As with local sport, you miss this week, you can go next week, next month, next year.

undertaker

Coach
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/03/airdate-major-league-baseball-opening-series.html

Next week two of the world’s biggest baseball teams go head-to-head at the Sydney Cricket Ground, with coverage to screen Live on GEM.

The famous Los Angeles Dodgers will play the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2014 Major League Baseball Opening Series – broadcast Live on GEM from 7.00pm AESDT on Saturday, March 22, and 1.00pm AESDT on Sunday, March 23.

The Sydney Cricket Ground will be transformed into a league-standard baseball field complete with players’ dugouts, a meticulously measured diamond, over 200 tonnes of imported American clay – and even hot dogs.

Ian Chappell, a keen baseball player before his cricketing glory days as Australia’s captain, will join the expert American commentary team to call both games.

“The Nine Network is excited to be a part of this historic sporting event,” said David Gyngell, CEO of Nine Entertainment Company. “As the home of sport and event TV, it is a natural fit for the Nine Network and Wide World of Sports to bring this great game to Australian viewers.”

Paul Archey, Senior Vice President of International Business Operations for Major League Baseball, said: “We are looking forward to partnering with the Nine Network to bring the MLB Opening Series Sydney to fans in Australia.

“The Nine Network has a reputation for carrying major global sporting events and we are excited they will be bringing the games to our current and new Australian fans.”

The 2014 MLB Opening Series Sydney also marks the 100th anniversary of exhibition games played by the Chicago White Sox and New York Giants at the SCG in 1914.

Ian Chappell calling the baseball...that.....um, will be, um, quite interesting.

hahagold

Juniors
Looks like there may be a high chance of rain..

50% chance of rain and thunderstorms for Saturday. DOH!

Better not be a rain out or I will have to eat my hot dog and go home zzzzz

undertaker

Coach
Looks like there may be a high chance of rain..

50% chance of rain and thunderstorms for Saturday. DOH!

Better not be a rain out or I will have to eat my hot dog and go home zzzzz

sucks for those who forked out $500 in the platinum section

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
It will still be good, even as a RedSox fan , watching it in Australia will be great, plus Dodgers got some of our cast off's Gonzo,Crawford and Becks

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
went there last night,

WOW...it really sucked.

It seemed neither team could care. As soon as it was over, everyone just ran away into the dug out. We joked that they were likely the first people out of the stadium. Australia should have won, if not for a 9th innings pitcher change up.

Snoochies

First Grade
went there last night,

WOW...it really sucked.

It seemed neither team could care. As soon as it was over, everyone just ran away into the dug out. We joked that they were likely the first people out of the stadium. Australia should have won, if not for a 9th innings pitcher change up.

Knowing a few on the Aussie team I know they definitely cared. The Dodgers not so much. Every Aussie out there was playing for a contract as there are alot of scouts out here at the moment. Many of the players are looking for a second chance whilst the young ones are looking for their first chance. What Ryan Searle did as the opening pitcher was phenomonal. The fact we held them for 1 hit for 7 innings is a great feat.

I'm biased yes because I follow the sport and have a close affiliation with Australian Baseball and this was massive for the Australian team. Tonight will be no different and I thinkt he Diamondbacks will put up a better fight because you were half right, the Dodgers didn't care.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Yeah that first pitcher was awesome. Most of our pitchers were quite good.

half the game the dodgers players were standing around and looking at women in the stands.

Anyone get out to either game on the weekend? What were your thoughts?

I went on Sunday, and whilst the game itself wasn't the best you'll ever see I had a blast. Was sitting out in right field, pretty much on the first base line, so the foul pole was a bit of a pain, but it was a great day none the less.

Mhartew

Juniors
Went to the first 3 games. Had a ball. But I'm a baseball fan so I would've been easy to please. My favourite games were the Team Australia ones, mainly because I'm more of an ABL fan than a MLB fan. Unbelievable to see them do so well against MLB opponents. Huge moment for Australian Baseball. Hopefully more people get out to ABL games after this.

The only negative's I heard from other people were about the concessions and the merch lines. I didn't really get anything from the food vendors so it didn't bother me. If it happens again (which I hope it does), I'm sure they'll be a lot better equipped to sort out these problems.

Also, I thought they did an amazing job of transforming the SCG to a baseball field. When they announced it, I thought they would have done a half arsed job. But they went all out, with the dugouts, the clay and the home run fences to make it an MLB calibre park. Very impressed.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
one of the best sporting experiences of my life, the field was incredible. Went to the Sunday game, the Dodgers dominated the game, even the 9th inning rally wasn't enough for The D-Backs.

As Mhart said i hope to see more people at the BlueSox games this season, its good when we get a full stadium there.

Mhart and Marshall were you surprised at the amount of LA Dodgers gear that was supported around, it almost felt like a Dodgers home game with the amount of hats and jerseys being worn, also awesome to see how many other Jerseys there were even some AAA teams.

Last edited:

Mhartew

Juniors
I wasn't overly surprised about the amount of LA gear. The Dodgers have been a very popular team for a while now, plus you've got to add all the people that have a holiday in LA and then come back with an LA hat or shirt and become "fan". Plus most teams in the league are more popular than the D-Backs.

I did see good representation from most teams in the league. Plenty of Yankees and Red Sox fans (to be expected), plus I saw stuff from the Reds, Cubs, White Sox, Blue Jays, Angels, Braves, Mets, Phillies, Rockies, Giants, A's, Twins & Brewers.

I was really surprised by the amount of people in Team Australia hats. Whether they bought them on the day or had them before hand. Saw them everywhere. Also saw some form of merch from every ABL team. Great to see.