What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly - 16000

t-ba

Post Whore
I think it's fair to say that if Manly suddenly disappeared from the competition, it wouldn't be a bat of an eyelash from anyone.

There hasn't been an NRL match this year that has generated as much post match interest as Friday nights match did.

If that was a club like Penrith or Cronulla getting the calls we 'got', there's no way we would have seen as much wailing and teeth gnashing as this.

We're a necessary evil. Who is everyone going to froth bile at the mouth in hatred for if we're not here? I suppose the Dogs could try and buy it.

Didgi

This is getting a bit tiresome now tbh... a good portion of Manly fans have accepted the crowd was poor, there's those that still dispute it, then there's the brainless geniuss left over... unfortunately this latter group seems to be in the majority. Kinda agree with t-ba, how many times can you say the same thing?

alien

Referee
There hasn't been an NRL match this year that has generated as much post match interest as Friday nights match did.

If that was a club like Penrith or Cronulla getting the calls we 'got', there's no way we would have seen as much wailing and teeth gnashing as this.

We're a necessary evil. Who is everyone going to froth bile at the mouth in hatred for if we're not here? I suppose the Dogs could try and buy it.

perhaps the lol@souths circle jerkers would pick up a few more recruits.
imagine if you saw a banner like this at the footy:
scaled.php

The 'small 4', Cronulla, Manly, Penrith and Roosters are always going to struggle to pull crowds against the likes of the cowboys and titans in Sydney.
So what to do?
I was just thinking if Penrith were playing Nth Qld in a finals game it would be at ANZ we would be lucky 15k.
Same for Cronulla playing Gold Coast at SFS.

15k? Penrith couldn't bring more than 50 fans to the SFS in 2010

Sackyhack

Juniors
My theory is that the reason for the small crowds is the same reason why the game is so great. If you ask any RL fan to list their teams in order of favoritism, they will usually only have three positions which are certainties:

1st - Their team

Last - Their most hated team (which is usually a choice between Doggies, Roosters, Manly, Dragons)

And all other teams kind of just merge into one group in the middle.

RL fans are extremely tribal, and there's just no emotional investment in the other teams to warrant going out to the game.

The TV ratings are so good though because RL is simply an awesome game, and if it's being played by anyone, you just wanna watch it (although sometimes the commentary needs to be turned off or drowned out).