What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Brothers in Red V.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
My plan is

Step 1 sack Mary
Step 2 hire Trent Barrett ( the Manly boys apparently like him )
Step 3 sign Tom , Jake and Ben
Step 4 sack Barrett and sign a real Coach

A cunning plan.

So cunning, you can put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

possm

Coach
Mission impossible
You know Millward would be the SGI official who is fraughted the most in hearing the player managers say that their player does not want to come to SGI because Mary is coach. Suely it is his responsibility to relay this to the CEO and the CEO's responsibility to repost this to the SGI Board.

The Board should then SACK MARY!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You know Millward would be the SGI official who is fraughted the most in hearing the player managers say that their player does not want to come to SGI because Mary is coach. Suely it is his responsibility to relay this to the CEO and the CEO's responsibility to repost this to the SGI Board.

So it’s Millward’s fault again?

Possm - McGregor has given the Board umpteen reasons to sack him and they have not done so.
By any objective measure, he is not up to FG standard and yet they continue to support him blindly including the new CEO (I was nauseous when I read the clap trap accompanying the extension announcement).
Any other club would have shown him the door by now but there seems to be no inclination to do so at St. George.
Millward is part of the problem and knows in advance that he is pushing shit up hill to sign top line players because McGregor is coach. He just does his job and gets his salary.
It's more like the public service than a commercial enterprise or a high profile professional football club.
While McGregor and Millward are in those positions we are not going to win anything and we will never sign good players when we are in competition with clubs that have professional coaches.
You mention the responsibility of the CEO is to advise the board that McGregor is a major obstacle in signing players but please show me where anyone of the Board has been accountable and responsible in the way this football team is run?
What depresses me is that I see not light at the end of the tunnel.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Sack him?.....he's got the keys to the city.....the green light :joy:

BLM01

First Grade
Possm - McGregor has given the Board umpteen reasons to sack him and they have not done so.
By any objective measure, he is not up to FG standard and yet they continue to support him blindly including the new CEO (I was nauseous when I read the clap trap accompanying the extension announcement).
Any other club would have shown him the door by now but there seems to be no inclination to do so at St. George.
Millward is part of the problem and knows in advance that he is pushing shit up hill to sign top line players because McGregor is coach. He just does his job and gets his salary.
It's more like the public service than a commercial enterprise or a high profile professional football club.
While McGregor and Millward are in those positions we are not going to win anything and we will never sign good players when we are in competition with clubs that have professional coaches.
You mention the responsibility of the CEO is to advise the board that McGregor is a major obstacle in signing players but please show me where anyone of the Board has been accountable and responsible in the way this football team is run?
What depresses me is that I see not light at the end of the tunnel.

The only thing is. Tell me who are the real good coaches and how many teams in the comp are there again? Outside Bellyache, Robbo, Wayne & maybe Dessie...who else?..Flanno..suspended
Maybe cranky McGuire but not convinced with him as he had a boring style with a big pack in 14 and the game has changed since he won.
Brown, Morris has only won a few games on the trot..Mary has even done that
Ricky...Brad Arthur?....maybe
Their the teams ahead of us on the ladder
Toovey......just sitting there waiting to be tapped into and given another shot!!!!
JD.....another unproven 1st grade risk.
I dont think Mary is a top 1st grade coach either but unless you get one of the Big 4...no one else stands up and grabs you..except Toovey..for me
We need to be careful what we wish for and who is next in line

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Hey, if we did sign the turbo brothers, they would have to start in CC and work their way into first grade. They can't just think they can come to this club and go straight into first grade. We have standards!.

Just saying.......

The only thing is. Tell me who are the real good coaches and how many teams in the comp are there again? Outside Bellyache, Robbo, Wayne & maybe Dessie...who else?..Flanno..suspended
Maybe cranky McGuire but not convinced with him as he had a boring style with a big pack in 14 and the game has changed since he won.
Brown, Morris has only won a few games on the trot..Mary has even done that
Ricky...Brad Arthur?....maybe
Their the teams ahead of us on the ladder
Toovey......just sitting there waiting to be tapped into and given another shot!!!!
JD.....another unproven 1st grade risk.
I dont think Mary is a top 1st grade coach either but unless you get one of the Big 4...no one else stands up and grabs you..except Toovey..for me
We need to be careful what we wish for and who is next in line
You're not far off in your assessment however we are supposed to be a "Super Club" and before that charade started, the greatest rugby league club in the world.
I would expect that our head coach was one of the best in the comp.
As I have touted many times before, I wouldn't mind JD (no risk in my opinion but OK, I get where you're coming from) or Toovey of the coaches that could be available right away.
Hasler and Bennett were available but we weren't even in the hunt.
Put simply, you just have to look at McGregor's CV to understand why he is the worst coach in the comp.
Of course, I am not advocating firing McGregor to hire Brad Arthur or Stuart or Young or Millward or Barrett, God forbid, but there are alternatives that we turned our nose up at.
Our whole coaching function is a joke ever since Bennett.
First and foremost the style of football we play which ultimately explains our results.
Clubs like Melbourne and Easts play for keeps.
The only thing they are focused on is winning premierships.
We do not.

BLM01

First Grade
You're not far off in your assessment however we are supposed to be a "Super Club" and before that charade started, the greatest rugby league club in the world.
I would expect that our head coach was one of the best in the comp.
As I have touted many times before, I wouldn't mind JD (no risk in my opinion but OK, I get where you're coming from) or Toovey of the coaches that could be available right away.
Hasler and Bennett were available but we weren't even in the hunt.
Put simply, you just have to look at McGregor's CV to understand why he is the worst coach in the comp.
Of course, I am not advocating firing McGregor to hire Brad Arthur or Stuart or Young or Millward or Barrett, God forbid, but there are alternatives that we turned our nose up at.
Our whole coaching function is a joke ever since Bennett.
First and foremost the style of football we play which ultimately explains our results.
Clubs like Melbourne and Easts play for keeps.
The only thing they are focused on is winning premierships.
We do not.
Yeh you keeo talking aboutr history...moving forward right now what are the options

Yeh you keeo talking aboutr history...moving forward right now what are the options
OK let's forget history for the sake of this argument.
JD is the most qualified coach in the NRL that does not have a first grade gig.
I know you don't agree but he is a quality option.
Toovey would be the other option that would be a massive upgrade on McGregor.
Does that answer your question?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
images

images

images

images

images

possm

Coach
I'd be happy with Toovey with Barrett and JD as assistant coaches. Recruitment can still be managed by Millward however, he should report to the head coach and the head coach report to either a director of football or the CEO.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You said experienced, not potential.

Explain how an eternal bridesmaid is more experienced than any of those on that list..

You said experienced, not potential.

Explain how an eternal bridesmaid is more experienced than any of those on that list..
Sorry Musby, this is not a complicated debate.
In my opinion, Jason Demetriou is the best coach available today that does not have a FG head coaching position.
I have never once used the word "experienced".
You can try and disrespect him by saying he is the "eternal bridesmaid" but that just shows your ignorance.
He will surface as a head coach somewhere in the not too distant future, I'm sure.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sorry Musby, this is not a complicated debate.
In my opinion, Jason Demetriou is the best coach available today that does not have a FG head coaching position.
I have never once used the word "experienced".
You can try and disrespect him by saying he is the "eternal bridesmaid" but that just shows your ignorance.
He will surface as a head coach somewhere in the not too distant future, I'm sure.
Sorry, you said qualified..

Explain how the eternal
bridesmaid is more qualified than any of those in that list..

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

Toovey is an unknown. He inherited Hasler's team, support staff and systems. I think JD has demonstrated in CC (NSWCUP) that he can build these things himself and get the team playing good football.

JD is much less of a risk than continuing with Mary.

BLM01

First Grade
It does..but how is JD qualified as a 1st grade coach. He has never done it. We wenr down that road with Price. Toovey for me.