What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly's Lyon Hunt Continues

Disco

Bench
ADAM LUCIUS
15apr05
MANLY'S bid for former international centre Jamie Lyon will intensify over the weekend following the star centre's lightning visit to Australia.

English club St Helens has given Lyon permission to return home to attend the birth of his first child.

The former Eel will be at Brookvale Oval for Manly's clash with Canberra on Sunday and will hold informal talks with Sea Eagles officials.

Lyons has a year to run on his contract with St Helens and would be a welcome addition at Manly.

The Sea Eagles are likely to lose veteran Terry Hill at the end of the season and are struggling for depth in the centre position.

Two-game rookie Steve Matai and the inexperienced Paul Stephenson will play in the centres against the Raiders.

Lyon has been rated the world's best centre by St Helens coach Ian Millward.

Manly executive director Paul Cumm ings has denied making an official approach to Lyon but confirmed his club's ongoing interest.

``Jamie is playing outstanding football and you'd be mad to say you're not interested in a player of his calibre,'' Cummings said last night.

``Obviously he's under contract to St Helens but he's got a solid relationship with Crusher (Noel Cleal) and if he was ever to come back full-time then we'd be interested in talking to him.

``If he's at Brookvale on Sunday I look forward to seeing him.''

Meanwhile, Canberra captain Simon Woolford has warned the Sea Eagles his side still has room for improvement, despite winning four straight matches.

``We put a big emphasis on starting the season well and we've done that but there's a long way to go,'' Woolford said.

``The good thing about this team is we're not content with what we did last weekend.

``This team won't be gelling like we want it to until probably round eight or round nine.

``We didn't play our best footy on the weekend, especially in the second half.

``So we've got a lot to improve on and hopefully we can put a good performance together for 80 minutes against the Eagles.''

CC36

Juniors
No talks with Lyon, says Cummings
April 15, 2005 - 7:09PM

Manly executive director Paul Cummings has dismissed rumours that former Test centre Jamie Lyon is poised to hold talks with the Sea Eagles on Sunday.

The rumour mill went into overdrive on Friday after English club St Helens gave Lyon permission to return home this week for the birth of his first child.

Cummings confirmed Lyon - who has one year left on his St Helens contract - would attend Manly's NRL clash at Brookvale Oval on Sunday against Canberra.

But Cummings said Lyon would attend as a spectator - not a potential recruit.

"He's in Australia for the birth of his first child which happened the other day," Cummings said.

"If he comes to the football he's not invited down by us, he's not a guest of ours but he's most welcome.

"If he's there, by all means we are going to say hello to him but he's not there for anything else.

"He's not having any informal talks or formal talks with the club. He's really come back to spend time with his wife."

Cummings said Lyon would catch up with good friend Noel Cleal, who is also Manly recruitment manager.

Cummings said Parramatta's release of Lyon - which stipulated he doesn't play for any other NRL club before 2006 - would also prove a sticking point in negotiations.

"He's very close to Noel Cleal, they have a long friendship and most certainly Noel does see him," Cummings said.

"But my understanding is that if anything is going to be talked about, it could relate to 2007 because he is under contract to St Helens as per his release to Parramatta.

"And I am sure Parramatta, within that release, would have a clause in there that said if he ever returns to Australia before the end of 2006 he most certainly would have to play with them."

At the tender age of 22, Lyon caused a sensation last season when he suddenly left behind a lucrative Parramatta contract and returned to his NSW country home town of Wee Waa.

After attending a Manly NRL game he linked with English heavyweights St Helens.

A Sydney newspaper on Friday reported that Lyon would hold "informal talks with Sea Eagles officials".

"Lyon has a year to run on his contract with St Helens and would be a welcome addition at Manly," the paper said.

"The Sea Eagles are likely to lose veteran Terry Hill at the end of the season and are struggling for depth in the centre position ...(and) Lyon has been rated the world's best centre by St Helens coach Ian Millward".

© 2005 AAP

t-ba

Post Whore
Very nice of you to keep him match fit. Maybe he can win you another trophy, and you can translate a decade of success into a crowd average above 12,000 :lol:

winnyason

Juniors
why superleague is a joke full of aussies, this is why i will be dead before you when a ashes series.

lyon is a saint

Juniors
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

super league is getting better every year........ and if it was'nt for a blip in the final GB could of had a brill tri nations...... after all we finished top of the group 8)

also was it a aussie team or super league team that won the world club challenge?

also how many old men have retired from this so called rubbish league and gone to join a super NRL team...... craig smith, matt adamson, jason smith, allan langer.

how many rejects of super league have signed for NRL teams and made a name for themselves....... david kidwell, ian sibbit, andrew gee, marcus bai.

finally how many class internationals are ditching the NRL to join this so called joke of a competition........ vainikolo, lauititi, lyon, vinnie anderson, blacklock, meyers, talau, hape, logan swann...... you get my point.

Then you have adrian morley who isent even considered as one of GB's best... yet he holds he's own in the NRL and out plays most oppenets.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
WCC -- Holiday for the Aussie team resulting in a high alcohol consumption whiel over in GB.

All those "internationals" couldn't get s start so they went chashing $$$.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
hahahahaha vainikolo, lauititi, vinnie anderson, blacklock, meyers, talau, hape, logan swann hahahahaha rubbish players looking for $$$$

The Whippet

Juniors
lyon is a saint said:
Then you have adrian morley who isent even considered as one of GB's best... yet he holds he's own in the NRL and out plays most oppenets.

Yeah not one of your best but he still manages to be your captain?

lyon is a saint

Juniors
The Whippet said:
lyon is a saint said:

:? :? since when as morley been GB captain?

paul sculthorpe is the new captain and farrell was it before him.

as for them internationals somebody mentioned....... so they would'nt get in the manly team?

dont be daft they would walk straight in.

lyon is a saint

Juniors
The Whippet said:
lyon is a saint said:

:? :? since when as morley been GB captain?

paul sculthorpe is the new captain and farrell was it before him.

as for them internationals somebody mentioned....... so they would'nt get in the manly team?

dont be daft they would walk straight in.

t-ba

Post Whore
And Most of the Manly Side would probably walk in to St Helens side...Sean Long Probably has nightmares about Ben Kennedy...

lyon is a saint

Juniors
fair enough but i doubt they would....... kennedy, donald, menzies, kite...... there the only players that would walk in our team.

did you see lyon today then?

Fluffy

Juniors
Yes i saw Lyon yesterday.

I went and said hello. He seems very comfortable and knows some of the manly players very well. Almost like he is coming this way.

Mate if you dont htink he want back here your kidding yourself. His wife and kid are here and he has many friends at manly already. The crowd love him and he just looks happy.

Its only a matter of 2006 or 2007

Snoop

Coach
lyon is a saint said:
also was it a aussie team or super league team that won the world club challenge?

How about we have it at the end of our season and see how the game goes. It is basically a trial match for the Australian team.

lyon is a saint said:
also how many old men have retired from this so called rubbish league and gone to join a super NRL team...... craig smith, matt adamson, jason smith, allan langer.

Craig Smith went to England to finish his career and only got chased by injury riddled NRL teams once he returned here. Adamson, Smith and Langer were all itching to test themselves in the best comp in the world.

lyon is a saint said:
how many rejects of super league have signed for NRL teams and made a name for themselves....... david kidwell, ian sibbit, andrew gee, marcus bai.

Who the hell is Sibbit? Gee already had a name for himself.

lyon is a saint said:
finally how many class internationals are ditching the NRL to join this so called joke of a competition........ vainikolo, lauititi, lyon, vinnie anderson, blacklock, meyers, talau, hape, logan swann...... you get my point.

You tell me how many CLASS INTERNATIONALS are ditching the NRL cause you have only named one ... Lyons. And we all know that the Eels are the reason he is not playing NRL.

lyon is a saint said:

But still get's picked in your team? Do you often play people who aren't your best?

lyon is a saint

Juniors
Fluffy said:
Yes i saw Lyon yesterday.

I went and said hello. He seems very comfortable and knows some of the manly players very well. Almost like he is coming this way.

Mate if you dont htink he want back here your kidding yourself. His wife and kid are here and he has many friends at manly already. The crowd love him and he just looks happy.

Its only a matter of 2006 or 2007

thanks for that cool..... yeah he seems a nice lad when ever i have spoken to him... and i know for a fact he will leave saints after he's 2 years thats a done deal.

Latest posts