What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Hughes played 60mins on broken ankle

Spike

First Grade
Just heard on the footy show that Mark Hughes played 60 minutes last night with a broken ankle. He is likely to miss the rest of the season but that's pretty impressive.

~bedsy~

First Grade
OMG that's unbelieveable.
He looked abit down, but it didn't look at all like he was playing with a broken ankle. Now that's what I call courage :clap:

Stranger

Coach
Yeah Great work to him.

On a note i played 10 mins with some bone damage do my ankle and that hurt like you wouldnt beleive, cant imagine 60mins with a broken one.

Alex28

Coach
he took a needle for it at halftime, but he still couldn't move freely on it. we were dead lucky that the Dragons didn't attack the wings and that he didnt have to do too much work in the second half - we would have lost by 30...

macavity

Referee
the big question now has to be: will he be re-signed?

if that is him for the season you would have to doubt that he will be...?

oh, i can't believe he did that either.

aqua_duck

Coach
Should he be re-signed? Simple answer, no.
Look I applaud him for his bravery last night but the club isn't suppose to be a charity, and going on his recent form (whenever on the odd occasion that he isn't injured) HE DOESN'T DESVERVE A NEW CONTRACT.

~bedsy~

First Grade
When I was watching him I knew he was in some discomfort... but I had no idea he was playing on a broken ankle.

As for contract renewal I don't think he will be re-signed and I feel for the bloke as his one fo my fave players and has done alot for the club.

northey

First Grade
as much as i love him, i think it is time he focused on his family, and gave up what he has done for most of his life... there will be other things waiting for him... hell he could even take over when super hubert retires!

aqua_duck said:
Should he be re-signed? Simple answer, no.
Look I applaud him for his bravery last night but the club isn't suppose to be a charity, and going on his recent form (whenever on the odd occasion that he isn't injured) HE DOESN'T DESVERVE A NEW CONTRACT.

Now that Kennedy has left - Hughes is supposed to be out third highest paid player behind Joey and Danny. IF we do resign him it should be on $60,000 a year not $215,000

aqua_duck

Coach
Look even if we do re-sign him for 60k a year it would practically be throwing 60k a year away. He's injured more often than not and when he's not injured he's only a fringe 1st grade/premier league level footballer.
The only deal he should get is a deal on match payments becasue quite simply his track record with injuries the past few years has been abysmal.

aqua_duck said:
Look even if we do re-sign him for 60k a year it would practically be throwing 60k a year away. He's injured more often than not and when he's not injured he's only a fringe 1st grade/premier league level footballer.
The only deal he should get is a deal on match payments becasue quite simply his track record with injuries the past few years has been abysmal.

Yeah you are right AD - Match Payments would be even better. If he plays well he plays more FG games and earns a little more - but his last 3 seasons since he was a SOO Full Back have been inconsistent at best. The $60k would be better spent on guys like Campbell and Mullen so they dont get stolen by Rooster talent scouts.

Spike

First Grade
I don't even want the Knights to sign him on match payments. As much as I liked boozy his number is up. He's provided the Knights great service up until the last couple of years but it's time to move on.

aqua_duck

Coach
I agree with you SPike but I'm just looking at worst case scenario and the old boys club strike again than the only deal i could live with is a match payments deal but really he's got nothing to offer anymore, he'll just be taking the spot of a promising youngster.

Alex28

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/Manly-wont-buy-into-spat-over-spit-amid-talk-of-fresh-angle/2005/05/22/1116700594870.html?oneclick=true

But the most remarkable aspect of the match emerged yesterday when X-rays confirmed that Knights fullback Mark Hughes had played for an hour with a broken ankle.

"I heard it crack - even some of the boys heard it - but I didn't know if it was broken or just ligaments," Hughes says in today's Newcastle Herald.

"I was in all sorts of pain. I had some needles at half-time and it felt a bit better because it was pretty numb. Then, after the game, it was already black and swollen and it's blown up even more today."

Hughes, who threw the final pass for a late Newcastle try, is off contract at the end of the season and, facing a 10-week recovery period, fears that he might have played his last game for the club.

"I don't really want to think about it but there's a chance I might never get back on the paddock for the Knights," he said. "I'd hate for it to end this way."

At least he is realistic about next year, unlike some former players of the club...

(are we going to be bombarded with "Bring Back Boozey" posts next year by clueless posters next year?)