What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maroons scared of Soward - Thurston

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
TEST halfback Johnathan Thurston says Queensland will breathe a collective sigh should Blues selectors continue to shun the talents of Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward. Thurston will tangle with Soward in Wollongong tonight and believes the talented No. 6 is ready, willing and able to launch a Origin assault against the Maroons.

Thurston, who formed a tight bond with Soward when the pair roomed together in camp with the Indigenous All-Stars, said the 25-year-old deserved to be held in the same esteem as the game's premier playmakers.

The Cowboys skipper says Soward's speed, vision and towering kicking game underpinned by a renewed self-belief make him a genuine superstar.

"I don't think he's too far off rep football, and if he's not there for NSW, there will be a bit of relief in our Maroons camp," Thurston said. "Jamie's definitely got the talent to play at the highest level.

"He's got a great kicking game and a great set of wheels, he can certainly run and it's probably his biggest weapon.

Perhaps the most stunning observation from Thurston, regarded as among the game's best players, is how Soward looks like "Mr Natural".

"He's very relaxed, he just cruises around." Thurston said.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hnathan-thurston/story-e6frexnr-1225845627222

Personally I would prefer Soward didnt play for soo, we need Soward on board.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
I think Soward should play origin. 3 games without him is nothing. St George always seem to win in the Origin periods anyway. It will allow guys like Beau Henry a chance in first grade too. With Soward in NSW they are a big chance IMO. Not with Barrett or Campese.

petetheileet

First Grade
Carney...
2 great games all of a sudden he is a lock for the 6

Soward had 15 good games last season...

there is so much to happen in the next 6-8 weeks but i wouldnt mind seeing him get a go

whoever they go with they just need to stick with him for god sake

and Stanley would prob get the call up ahead of Henry id think

Godz Illa

Coach
Discussion on the State of Origin series seems to start earlier and earlier every year and it bugs the hell out of me. There's no respite anymore, it looms like a dark cloud across the entire first half of the season. Give us a break ffs!

stewm

Juniors
seems like a bit of mind games, coming from thurston.

That is exactly what I thought.. Funny how Thurston wasn't saying this right after the All Stars match and happened to wait till now.

Still. good that Jamie is starting to be mentioned at that level.

petetheileet

First Grade
Thurston probably wasn't asked about him until now

people have to understand that players just dont come out and say things

they are prompted with questions by the media about what the media want to write about

Slackboy72

Coach
Carney...
2 great games all of a sudden he is a lock for the 6

Soward had 15 good games last season...

there is so much to happen in the next 6-8 weeks but i wouldnt mind seeing him get a go

whoever they go with they just need to stick with him for god sake

and Stanley would prob get the call up ahead of Henry id think

Well Carney is a good player and I wouldn't mind seeing him in the NSW halves but let's just wait till ANZAC day, okay?

petetheileet

First Grade
I agree mate...

even before he played a game

and even before he left i thought he was the best young half in the country

i just hate how everyone gets so carried away so easily

Firey_Dragon

Coach
seems like a bit of mind games, coming from thurston.
Or perhaps they're mates now (after rooming together) and the interviewer asked a question on Soward, and he saw it as a good opportunity to give him a wrap.

It's way too early for origin talk for most of NSW halves, there is so much up in the air for all of them. Based on last years form, Soward should be the favourite, but you'll barely see him mentioned in discussions on the topic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the halves were
6. Bird
7. Carney/Pearce

or
6. Carney
7. Pearce

Soward isn't the type of player that gets picked for NSW. If he was born in QLD he would have been there last year.

dragon_around

Juniors
"He's got a great kicking game and a great set of wheels"

Hope Thurston didn't have to grab them to find that out.

Discussion on the State of Origin series seems to start earlier and earlier every year and it bugs the hell out of me. There's no respite anymore, it looms like a dark cloud across the entire first half of the season. Give us a break ffs!

Realistically We'll lose Weyman Creagh and Morris for Origin with possibility of Soward and Coops depending on how he plays until then...

It wont be that bad, we have good depth in forwards this year, be a good opportunity for the younger guys like Merrin to step up, they'l be much ebtter for it next season...

Realistically We'll lose Weyman Creagh and Morris for Origin with possibility of Soward and Coops depending on how he plays until then...

It wont be that bad, we have good depth in forwards this year, be a good opportunity for the younger guys like Merrin to step up, they'l be much ebtter for it next season...

Forgot that will Lose Boyd and Prolly Costigan...f**king QLDER"S...

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I wouldn't be surprised if we lost Scott this year either. He could potentially make lock depending on whether Bird is picked in the halves or the forward pack (or if Hindmarsh makes it or not this year).

Jubileeboy

First Grade
This falls into the same category as Ricky Stuart deflecting the media attention away from his s h i t team by making the ridiculous statement regarding Pearce.
His team has just lost 12 games in a row.

Pearce for captain of the Blues......pfftt.

Stuart would struggle with Cronulla-Caringbah.

j0nesy

Bench
I don't think Soward has been at his best this season, which says a lot about the rest of our team. Soward will come good, I have no doubt he has the ability but I think there are one or two ahead of him. In my opinion Brett Morris is more likely to get the call up this season.