What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MARSH:I hit Barret in the chest

mickdo

Coach
Dirk Shark said:
arms, shoulders ok, but an elbow is different and I think that is what Barret took offence to.

0,5001,5025278,00.jpg

Look at the picture above. His elbows are pointed down. If he was 'cocking' his elbows they would be pointed up. It's more a forearm brace for contact rather then a raised elbow strike.

markstan

Juniors
mickdo said:
Players try to hit the kicker all the freaking time!!! Defenceless or not, he is fair game while he is kicking the damn ball and Marsh was 100% committed to the hit. And if you are going to try and put a hit on a player, you don't have much choice as to what you use in a hit... 2 arms, 2 shoulders. Go and play tiddly winks if you don't like it ffs.

In theory if he dosen't have possesion of the ball technically he dosen't deserve elbows fists etc coming at him. Can you imagine if a play maker goes to pass it, and people go leaping of the ground with elbows etc at there heads! Why should kickers be treated with disregard?

mickdo

Coach
markstan said:
In theory if he dosen't have possesion of the ball technically he dosen't deserve elbows fists etc coming at him. Can you imagine if a play maker goes to pass it, and people go leaping of the ground with elbows etc at there heads! Why should kickers be treated with disregard!
Now you are talking about changing the rules because you don't think kickers should be charged at. Fact is the rules are the rules and they apply to both sides. If a Dragon had hit an Eel in a chargedown and not hit high, the same rules would apply and it would be deemed legal. If you want to change the rules, send an email to the NRL.

markstan

Juniors
mickdo said:
Now you are talking about changing the rules because you don't think kickers should be charged at. Fact is the rules are the rules and they apply to both sides. If a Dragon had hit an Eel in a chargedown and not hit high, the same rules would apply and it would be deemed legal. If you want to change the rules, send an email to the NRL.

But it wasn't a chargedown at no stage was his face/shoulders near the ball. If Marsh was charging down he would be on a differnet angle. Im not having a go at Marsh, more so it's a grey area that needs light.

mickdo

Coach
markstan said:
But it wasn't a chargedown at no stage was his face/shoulders near the ball. If he was charging down he would be on a differnet angle. Im not having a go at Marsh, more so it's a grey area that needs light.
Fine. Let's call it a 'charge' then. They happen every game. Every so often you get a high one. Tackles happen every game. Every so often you get a high one. Do you want to get rid of tackling too?

markstan

Juniors
mickdo said:
Fine. Let's call it a 'charge' then. They happen every game. Every so often you get a high one. Tackles happen every game. Every so often you get a high one. Do you want to get rid of tackling too?

No, but there are a large number of charges at the head/shoulders of kickers and generally a massive number end up making high contact with kickers that is a problem and something should be done. No it wouldn't be just for Marsh to get suspended, but the NRL or RFL should come out and say in a couple of weeks or so, after they seek opinion etc. And demand no charges at kickers heads shoulders or at least make people clear.

*Paul*

Juniors
That picture paints perfectly what cocking the forearm is i.e. leading with it in a raised position. The only thing that saved him was that it missed full contact, and only dealt a glancing blow.

mickdo

Coach
*Paul* said:
That picture paints perfectly what cocking the forearm is i.e. leading with it in raised position. The only thing that saved him was that it missed full contact, and only dealt a glancing blow.
Yes, he is leading with his forearm. That's fine by me for any player who is trying to put a hit on. They all do it and realistically when you are trying to put a hit on its about the only thing you can use apart from your shoulder. Its a contact sport people.

*Paul*

Juniors
But when it contacts the head (specifically the chin in this case) of someone not in possession, albeit, as I said, only a glancing blow, it crosses into foul play.

Misty Bee

First Grade
gottabegood said:
Marsh is clearly the thug here. .....He instigated the incident like a fairy turning his head, so barret replied in like by smaking him while his face was turned.

Can I have your hallucenagenic drugs too?

Marsh turned his head to FOLLOW PLAY!!!! Barrett - who has the memory of a goldfish (last for about 2 seconds) forgot that he had just kicked the ball. Funnily enough, so did Saints entire forward pack.

I can't wait for the Tri-eries - when Paul Sclthorpe turn his head, I hope Joey and Hindy beat ttyhe living sh*it out of him.

BTW, can you get suspended for turning your head?

Misty Bee

First Grade
How is this different to a tackle that bounces off the shoulder and makes contact with the head - in our code deemed not to be a crime?

Marsh did nothing that doesn't happen to every kick in every game. Chargedowns - Steve Price has scored a ton of tries from it - is as essential a requirement in a first grade team as anything else.

The other thing is sthis: Barret is about the biggest half 5/8 in the game. Blokes like Scott Prince, Matt Orford, Preston Campbell, Stacey Jones etc are small blokes that put up with that for their entire career, and don't resort to react like Barret did. And it's usually big forwards aka Price, Croker, Hindmarsh, Kennedy, Mason et al doing the chargedown.

Last night it was reversed. The little bloke charging down on the big bloke.

I notice Barret never picked on Price, Croker, Hindmarsh, Kennedy, Mason et al .

For mine, first point of countact was Marsh's left forearm on Barrets chest. On the follow through, his right elbow glanced Barret's chin. Unintentional. Accidental. Legal.

And the fact remains that Barrets actions cost his side a win that meant the difference between top 4 and bottom 7.

NPK

Bench
Barrett's reaction:
marsh1.jpg

Marsh has his back to Barrett, looking downfield for the kick return
marsh2.jpg

marsh3.jpg

Hurriflatch

Referee
that last photo is Barrett cra*ing himself upon seeing Hindmarsh, Cayless, Morrison, Tahu, Grothe and Petersen coming to beat him down