What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall and Halatau definitely out of Tri Nations

hybrid_tiger

Coach
NZ Warrior said:
You people obviously missed the point. You also obviously think that all these Kiwi players just happen to need surgery immediately.

When the naivety clears and no longer clouds your opinion, you may enter back into this debate.

Halatau and Marshall have been playing injured all year.

If you don't want to believe it, than thats your problem.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I don't know what you Kiwis are complaining about.

Regardless of the side that they put on the field, they will be belted by Australia even if they chose a C-side. Such is international rugby league - not even a contest.

In a couple of years, maybe the Kiwis will be able to compete, with some good new talent coming through.

But do you want this talent to last one year or ten?

And besides, the Wests Tigers pay Marshall and Halatau's wages. They have the right to do whatever the f**k they like. And no amount of Kiwi whinging will change that.

Marshall has stated numerous times that he would love nothing more than to play for NZ as much as possible. If he didn't need the operation he would be playing.

So quit the f**king whinging.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
LOL hybrid.

A full strength Kiwi side would compete with Australia 9 times out of 10 at the moment and probably win 2 or 3 out of 10. If you think that the Roos would blast a side off the park which had Marshall and Jones in the halves, SBW/Lauiti'iti/Puletua/Faumuina/Pritchard as backrow options, and Cayless/Asotasi/Wiki etc as props, then you are nuts. The fact is not that international league cannot be competitive, but that it never will be because NZ never get anywhere near a full-strength side on the field due to a) UK players not being available, and b) any NRL player in the slightest bit injured has surgery during the internationals and not during the NRL.

ozboy

Juniors
I blame the Newcastle Knights and NRL for Joey Johns not being able to play for Australia since 2002.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
any NRL player in the slightest bit injured has surgery during the internationals and not during the NRL.

Sorry, but Marshall and Halatau are not "slightly" injured. If they were, I guarantee you they would be playing.

They have been playing with injury for the entire season and they need surgery as soon as possible. (Makes Marshall's great performances even better)

The Tigers pay their wages, so they decide that the best option is to have the surgery in the off season.

The NRL Clubs pay there wages. If marshall was to play for instance and get hurt why should Wests continue to keep paying him his wages should not the NZRL pay his wages. It's not ideal to have all these players injured or out but sometimes it's just how it happens. Australia sent a depleted side over last year for the Tri Nations also.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
hybrid_tiger said:
Sorry, but Marshall and Halatau are not "slightly" injured. If they were, I guarantee you they would be playing.

They have been playing with injury for the entire season and they need surgery as soon as possible. (Makes Marshall's great performances even better)

The Tigers pay their wages, so they decide that the best option is to have the surgery in the off season.

I never said they were slightly injured.

I accept the latter point but I can't believe that anyone would deny that it is a tragic state of affairs.

Special K

Coach
I don't get the buzz about Halatau. He is a good player but that is it. He is not big enough or good enough to play in the backrow for the kiwis and he is not fast enough or good enough to be a centre.

Again I'm not knocking him but when you consider the options the Kiwis have at centre and in the backrow I can't see how he would get on the plane. He played a bit of hooker on the last tour didn't he? Maybe that is why... He is a good player but not a international

I'd love to see Benji, Jones and SBW as the 6, 7 and 13 but geez that would be great to watch.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Special K said:
I don't get the buzz about Halatau. He is a good player but that is it. He is not big enough or good enough to play in the backrow for the kiwis and he is not fast enough or good enough to be a centre.

Again I'm not knocking him but when you consider the options the Kiwis have at centre and in the backrow I can't see how he would get on the plane. He played a bit of hooker on the last tour didn't he? Maybe that is why... He is a good player but not a international

I'd love to see Benji, Jones and SBW as the 6, 7 and 13 but geez that would be great to watch.

He could be a reserve hooker imo. Usually I wouldn't be too worried but with so many injuries as always, we can't deal with many more.

ozboy

Juniors
I blame the NRL that Ali Lauitiiti is a fat, lazy b*****d wasting his talent in the UK.

I also blame the NRL for Clinton Toopi's conmplete loss of form.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I've never said anything about anyone wasting their talent or in poor form. I want Ali in the side whether he's fat and lazy or not, and if Leeds won't let us have him then I sure as hell blame them.

Clinton Toopi is embarrassingly hopeless and always has been so I don't care about him.

simon says

First Grade
Id just like to say that most Tiger fans are really miffed that they arent playing.....Id love to see Bunji/Hammer Halatau and co plying,and its a real shame.

Lets hope that this surgery enables them to have ditinguished careers in the future.

And to the #$^$%^$^ who says Halatau isnt much chop....did you see his game against the Cowboys.....I dont care how big he is,how strong is the Hammer.It is a 17 man game now fellers.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
If these players have been playing injured for the entire season, then what's another 3-4 games??? It's obviously very serious if the Tigers keep on playing them. Under your logic, the Tigers would have booked them in for surgery when the regular season was over.

Yet they are fit enough to play in the finals series. Why are they not fit for another few international games???

This thing about the clubs paying the wages, so they should get final say is just not going to work. The International Federation might as well throw in the towel and give up all hope of building a strong international competition.

This has been debated to death, but the International Federation has to work with the NRL & ESL, set in place some strong guidelines and try to find a place for international League during the regular season.

ozboy

Juniors
Just read that Francis Meli has just ruled himself out of the upcoming Tri-Nations.

I still blame the NRL.

As for Dene Halatau, shows how sad NZ RL has become when there fans start whinging about him missing the series.

Special K said:

If you had posted this after the game v the Cowboys at Campbelltown in 2004, I'd have agreed with you wholeheartedly. In fact I'd have chastised you for not being hard enough on him.

But he's been great in 2005 and was devastating against the Cowboys last Friday.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
LOL @ people not rating Dene Halatau.

The guy is a gun and can play multiple positions. He should be one of the first players on the plane...

I suggest you watch the Cowboys game last week. Absolute class.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think we all watched the Cowboys game hybrid. He was awesome. However I still don't think he is that good. Hohaia is certainly a dreadful half but imo he would be first choice hooker cos he was awesome there for the Warriors.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
I think we all watched the Cowboys game hybrid. He was awesome. However I still don't think he is that good. Hohaia is certainly a dreadful half but imo he would be first choice hooker cos he was awesome there for the Warriors.

Halatau can play lock, hooker, second-row and centre.

I also happen to think he sh1ts on Lance Hohaia, even in the hooking role. But that is a matter of opinion.

The fact that NZ are unhappy that he won't be able to play tells me he is figuring into their plans nicely.