What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary better than Price

BigH

Juniors
Just like the top four teams, better then the bottom four, same deal with coaches, Mary has done ok but time will tell, he will get booted once day but it won't be his fault, he will be a victim of salary caps and club management and recruitment

twinkletoes

Juniors
Dragons were touted as wooden spoon contenders at the beginning of the season given the roster and coaching staff. They have exceeded all expectations this season. The players have worked hard and played exceptionally well in the first half of the season. I think their early preseason start may have something to do with the drop off in from towards the end of the season.

For the first time in 4 seasons they have made the finals. They are a very frustrating side to watch...last night on half a dozen occasions they made such dumb mistakes I was pulling my hair out and Yes we can all see their deficiencies and where things could be a lot better. But for the time being I think they should all be congratulated and let enjoy what they have achieved beyond most expectations.

Everyone starts from scratch in the finals..lets hope they surprise a few people

inside_pass

Bench
After 6 or 7 years as a member here, I?m finally breaking my posting virginity, guess I just need to rant.

I joined here back when the club signed Bennett as coach as finally after years of disappointment I thought our hierarchy had finally seen the light. Loved Brownie as a bloke and player but he was out of his league and needed a change of scenery to reach his potential. Bennett did what he was bought to do and finally after decades we all had the chance to rejoice.

Exit Bennett and the hierarchy returned to the dark days by employing Price and returned the jobs for the boy?s structure. Could have smashed the TV when watching the match (Roosters, Anzac Day if I remember correctly) and the commentators at half time announced Price had been re-signed for the next few years. Enter a period of accepting mediocrity and basically the hierarchy telling the fans they don't matter and suck it up, they are running the show!

The inevitable happened and Pricey, poor bloke was hopelessly out of his comfort zone, got the bullet in order to save the positions of the Muppets running the club. Enter Mary, ok, the Muppets have learnt their lesson and need a fill in but next year we will get a real coach again, so, I can live with that as much as it will hurt. Then, the Muppets strike again and tell us fans that they couldn't get Bennett again so the next best thing to do is sign Mary to a 3 year deal.....yes, that's right, a rookie coach signed to a 3 year deal. Once again fans, suck it up, the Muppets are in charge, mediocrity is all you're getting and you can all suck on the end of my crown........larger bottle.

Again, I liked Mary as a player, poor bloke loves the Dragons, would be nice to see a home grown lad take us to the heights we deserve, BUT, that was, and is, never going to happen in 3 years. He's a rookie coach with a couple of years coaching in the Gong league, and had success so that ensures he doesn't have to do a real apprenticeship, he is just handed a 3 year gig at the proudest sporting brand in the world, why you ask, incompetence of the Muppets running our great club.

My old man coached in the Gong league for freaking years and won numerous premierships but does he qualify to be Dragons head coach, not on your life, horses for courses, do your time, learn the trade, earn your pathway and be ready when the time comes. A real Board, a competent CEO, even the majority of the people in this forum know that, unfortunately, the imbeciles who make the decisions on our behalf make decisions that suit their agenda and we mere fans just don't matter.

Love my Dragons; have for over 40 years, will forever, but this rot has to stop. I don't blame the players, they want to win, they try to win, and they are embarrassed by their performances. I don't blame the coach, he wants to win, he tries to win, he's embarrassed by the performances, but he just too inexperienced and clueless to be able to do anything about it. One day, he might make the grade, I really hope so, but we as fans just have to sit back and watch another period of heartache as he learns what he should be learning as understudy to a real first grade coach and not learn it at the players and the fans expense.

I know the Mary supporters will bring up stuff like "Price was understudy to Bennett and look at him", but not everyone makes it and that's my point. You don't necessarily turn into a master coach by doing a trade under one, you have to have the goods to start with to be able to make it long term. Pricey didn't plain and simple and a smart Board would have realized that, at least certainly a lot quicker than they did. And Mary mightn't either, but our players and the fans at least deserve a coach who has had the appropriate schooling and not just a political appointment to suit the agenda of Muppets.

I know there is a lot of resentment on here about many of our players, but I don't have a problem with most of them. They were recruited to the club, so can't blame them, they need to feed their families and someone made them an offer they couldn't refuse. The problem is that we recruited poorly; we didn't have a plan when we put this roster together. The roster we have is not balanced and would take one hell of a master coach to gel these guys into a formidable team; certainly that sort of accomplishment is way out of reach for a rookie. And speed, where is our speed? How does someone put a roster like that together, it's completely incompetent recruiting.

Anyway, there is probably no one still reading by now lol, so I will stfu and go back to another 6 years of silence and mediocrity, and incompetence and one day the Muppets will move on and we will be great again........just hope it doesn't take another 30 years or this Dragons tragic won't be here to see it.
Great post mate and agree with all you said.
We are finally in the finals again but there are still a lot of problems at our club that are not a quick fix.

denis preston

First Grade
After 6 or 7 years as a member here, I?m finally breaking my posting virginity, guess I just need to rant.

I joined here back when the club signed Bennett as coach as finally after years of disappointment I thought our hierarchy had finally seen the light. Loved Brownie as a bloke and player but he was out of his league and needed a change of scenery to reach his potential. Bennett did what he was bought to do and finally after decades we all had the chance to rejoice.

Exit Bennett and the hierarchy returned to the dark days by employing Price and returned the jobs for the boy?s structure. Could have smashed the TV when watching the match (Roosters, Anzac Day if I remember correctly) and the commentators at half time announced Price had been re-signed for the next few years. Enter a period of accepting mediocrity and basically the hierarchy telling the fans they don't matter and suck it up, they are running the show!

The inevitable happened and Pricey, poor bloke was hopelessly out of his comfort zone, got the bullet in order to save the positions of the Muppets running the club. Enter Mary, ok, the Muppets have learnt their lesson and need a fill in but next year we will get a real coach again, so, I can live with that as much as it will hurt. Then, the Muppets strike again and tell us fans that they couldn't get Bennett again so the next best thing to do is sign Mary to a 3 year deal.....yes, that's right, a rookie coach signed to a 3 year deal. Once again fans, suck it up, the Muppets are in charge, mediocrity is all you're getting and you can all suck on the end of my crown........larger bottle.

Again, I liked Mary as a player, poor bloke loves the Dragons, would be nice to see a home grown lad take us to the heights we deserve, BUT, that was, and is, never going to happen in 3 years. He's a rookie coach with a couple of years coaching in the Gong league, and had success so that ensures he doesn't have to do a real apprenticeship, he is just handed a 3 year gig at the proudest sporting brand in the world, why you ask, incompetence of the Muppets running our great club.

My old man coached in the Gong league for freaking years and won numerous premierships but does he qualify to be Dragons head coach, not on your life, horses for courses, do your time, learn the trade, earn your pathway and be ready when the time comes. A real Board, a competent CEO, even the majority of the people in this forum know that, unfortunately, the imbeciles who make the decisions on our behalf make decisions that suit their agenda and we mere fans just don't matter.

Love my Dragons; have for over 40 years, will forever, but this rot has to stop. I don't blame the players, they want to win, they try to win, and they are embarrassed by their performances. I don't blame the coach, he wants to win, he tries to win, he's embarrassed by the performances, but he just too inexperienced and clueless to be able to do anything about it. One day, he might make the grade, I really hope so, but we as fans just have to sit back and watch another period of heartache as he learns what he should be learning as understudy to a real first grade coach and not learn it at the players and the fans expense.

I know the Mary supporters will bring up stuff like "Price was understudy to Bennett and look at him", but not everyone makes it and that's my point. You don't necessarily turn into a master coach by doing a trade under one, you have to have the goods to start with to be able to make it long term. Pricey didn't plain and simple and a smart Board would have realized that, at least certainly a lot quicker than they did. And Mary mightn't either, but our players and the fans at least deserve a coach who has had the appropriate schooling and not just a political appointment to suit the agenda of Muppets.

I know there is a lot of resentment on here about many of our players, but I don't have a problem with most of them. They were recruited to the club, so can't blame them, they need to feed their families and someone made them an offer they couldn't refuse. The problem is that we recruited poorly; we didn't have a plan when we put this roster together. The roster we have is not balanced and would take one hell of a master coach to gel these guys into a formidable team; certainly that sort of accomplishment is way out of reach for a rookie. And speed, where is our speed? How does someone put a roster like that together, it's completely incompetent recruiting.

Anyway, there is probably no one still reading by now lol, so I will stfu and go back to another 6 years of silence and mediocrity, and incompetence and one day the Muppets will move on and we will be great again........just hope it doesn't take another 30 years or this Dragons tragic won't be here to see it.

Great post. A review of what's gone on the past 4 years makes bad reading doesn't it ? It scares the shit out of me when you compare the Dragons board to the Roosters in quality but I feel we are going in the right direction. The frustration is yes , we can get rid of our coach , recruitment manager etc but the board remains untouched. I feel your pain but unless we get the spoon next year , which I'm sure we wont , these muppets will continue to feel they have a job for life.

drpeterb

Juniors
Dragons 09.
Brilliant post.
Everything you have said has merit.
Imagine if the Muppets did give Bennett the 5 year tenure he requested.
Not only would he have groomed the 2nd tier players into realising their potential, and staying with the club ( Hastings, Bird etc) He would of had more time to educate Price, Young (Dean not fat) and Hornby as his successor.

SBD82

Coach

You waited six years in silence, and the week we made the finals - for the first time in four years - you sink the boot into the club that you "support".

f**k me there are some negative merkins on here. We made the finals. If you were actual supporters this would be the time that you get excited about next week. We are going in as underdogs whether it's storm or sharks and I would love to see us get up.

to_ddeath

Coach
You waited six years in silence, and the week we made the finals - for the first time in four years - you sink the boot into the club that you "support".

f**k me there are some negative merkins on here. We made the finals. If you were actual supporters this would be the time that you get excited about next week. We are going in as underdogs whether it's storm or sharks and I would love to see us get up.

And judging how others support this team doesn't make you a negative merkin either??
Wake up to yourself.

T.

SBD82

Coach
And judging how others support this team doesn't make you a negative merkin either??
Wake up to yourself.

T.

f**k yourself.

I'm excited to watch the dragons finally play in a finals series after 4 years of not being there. If dragons "supporters" want to choose this week to bag the club they can get f**ked too.

A lot of people in here would prefer to be right and see the club lose than be proved wrong and have us succeed. It's been going on all year but I'll be damned if I let them ruin this week for me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'll be damned if I let them ruin this week for me.
So you're saying that people should just shut up?

Sounds like you're doing a good job of ruining it for yourself. Y'know, you do have a choice... like not reading posts that upset you.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Dragons 09, Great first post. A lot of venting there and yes, I did read it all.

Can't wait for the second post.

These forums are all all about creating discussion... don't be put off if some miss that point.

bmwpower

Juniors
f**k yourself.

I'm excited to watch the dragons finally play in a finals series after 4 years of not being there. If dragons "supporters" want to choose this week to bag the club they can get f**ked too.

A lot of people in here would prefer to be right and see the club lose than be proved wrong and have us succeed. It's been going on all year but I'll be damned if I let them ruin this week for me.

Buddy everyone wants the team to succeed. But let's take our glasses off and see that the problem still exists within the club and making the finals will not mask it. The club has a LONG way to go to being successful again. From top to bottom .

mickeylane

Bench
I'm tipping Dragons to beat Melbourne in Melbourne and grow a leg and then go on a roll.. Benji is the most dangerous attacking player in the semis by a long shot!!

The Nick

Bench
Buddy everyone wants the team to succeed. But let's take our glasses off and see that the problem still exists within the club and making the finals will not mask it. The club has a LONG way to go to being successful again. From top to bottom .

I think most on here would agree we're not where we want to be or should be, but making the finals for the first time since 2011 is clearly a step in the right direction.

The turnaround has come faster than 99% of us would have predicted. Even the wrist slitting brigade are clutching at straws at this point to try and paint Mary and the team as a failure.

Personally I won't be putting any money on us to beat the Storm in Melbourne but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the build up and cling to some hope that we can cause an upset.

Go the Dragons.

Straight Shooter