What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mascord: Rugby league, your image stinks, fix it.

ek999

First Grade
Maybe I could of worded it different.

Mascord and others expect players to be robots when these issues aren't just RL or sport exclusive.

They said on the news early in the week. Fines for not leaving premises had increased. How many of those people get suspended from work? or even got publicly shamed?

NRL players (and other sports stars) aren't normal people. that is never going to change. The players have a choice, they can accept the massive pay cheques and the fame and everything else that goes with being a professional sportsperson, or they can get another job which will remove them from the spotlight completely which leaves them to do whatever the hell they want without their every move and piss in mouth being in the media.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
I'm seeing alot of 'it's the media' or 'why don't the AFL and Rugby get similar treatment?' arguments in this thread.

Rugby League as the collective needs stop playing the victim/poor me card and rise above this.

Ultimately, the Media and AFL aren't the ones forcing these imbeciles to act like animals (ie. drinking your own piss, shitting in hallways etc).

Knightmare

Coach
Stop and think for a moment:

A sports journalist for one of Australia's biggest newspapers has come out and claimed that not only does the NRL have an image problem, but it is the games' fault. The article also mentions the AFL's female attendance figures (suggesting the AFL has a "female friendly" culture throughout its' ranks that is alien to the NRL). It fails to mention the AFL's long, ingrained "You must become a club member/ attend matches to fit into general society" culture that is especially prominent in Melbourne- the games' heartland. This is what drives the difference between the percentage of female attendees at games and any decent sports journalist would be well aware of this- which suggests the author of this article is either a) Ignorant of this fact or b) Deliberately omitting this fact in order to suit their argument. The greatest irony? The article in question is printed the same day an AFL player is charged on multiple accounts of rape. However, this won't be regarded as an example of the AFL's terrible culture but just an unfortunate incident that happened to involve an AFL player. I'd like to see somebody argue it would be exactly the same attitude if an NRL player had been convicted, but that's another story...

They then accuse the NRL of lacking "Blue chip" sponsors. Off the top of my head, right now companies like Telstra, Vodafone, DeLonghi, AAMI, Holden, Jet Star, Toyota, NRMA and St George Bank are all major sponsors of either NRL teams or the entire competition. I'd be interested to know what "Blue chip" sponsors or major Australian companies the AFL, ARU or FFA have in their respective competitions that the NRL are lacking?

Then, if you happen to question or disagree with anything in this article, clearly it means you are an idiot with your head in the sand and not only that- you are part of the problem. The author said it, so you'd better believe it's true. Either you agree with everything they've said or you're one of "them" and the game would be better off without you. The end.

If this article was penned by Bourbon Beccy or Slothfield, it would be rubbished and the vast majority of people would be drawing attention to the same points I've raised above. Yet because it's the opinion of Steve Mascord, apparently we should show complete reverence for every word he's written and treat it as gospel truth?

The NRL could improve it's image, but that has more to do with media training our players to be able to hold the public's interest when they speak as opposed to the 'umm'ing and 'ahhh'ing, the mumbling and all the same boring cliches trotted out every week. It has more to do with the code (as a whole) making more of an effort to promote the good work carried out by 99% of the NRL's players, fans and officials on a daily basis instead of treating Carney, Miles, Monaghan etc. like they are typical of the people in our game and not an unfortunate exception to the rule.

So pardon me (and many others) for disagreeing with the "Code in crisis!" brigade or the people who don't even like sport to begin with- let alone our code...

Last edited:

Mickyd39

Juniors
I'm seeing alot of 'it's the media' or 'why don't the AFL and Rugby get similar treatment?' arguments in this thread.

Rugby League as the collective needs stop playing the victim/poor me card and rise above this.

Ultimately, the Media and AFL aren't the ones forcing these imbeciles to act like animals (ie. drinking your own piss, shitting in hallways etc).

:clap::clap::clap:

Knightmare

Coach
Todd Carney is 28 and had many chances.
The codes image is mud, the sponsors have gone, and nobody wants to see Gallen the dawg lift the origin shield.
The code is killing itself softly with ex-players doing untold damage to the image of the code as well. Who let these clowns on TV, or is this part of the networks way of speeding up the process of the games demise.
Kill the sharks, stop propping up Manly, and start expanding the code, that is the first job the NRL need to do.
We need second teams in Brisbane NZ and a team in Perth, ASAP

Poor diddums. Want a cushion for that butthurt?

franklin2323

Immortal
NRL players (and other sports stars) aren't normal people. that is never going to change. The players have a choice, they can accept the massive pay cheques and the fame and everything else that goes with being a professional sportsperson, or they can get another job which will remove them from the spotlight completely which leaves them to do whatever the hell they want without their every move and piss in mouth being in the media.

The top players do though. DCE, Johnson, Smith, Cronk, Hayne etc all have almost perfect off field performance. Clarke, Kallis etc in cricket aren't the one's matchfixing.

The majority Carney aside are fringe FGers so even the massive paycheck excuse isn't there. They are just dickheads you see them every weekend at the pub. Hopefully they just become less and less frequent in the future

When it's a RL are grubs statement what other sports do is relevant. Ok genius what sport do we look at as to how to fix this behaviour? I am Dave Smith and co would be looking there if there was an answer

Who gives a f**k what other sports do? It has not one single thing to do with what RL does or should do. And to suggest that if there was an answer available a league administrator would find it is one of the more laughable examples of misplaced confidence I've ever seen.

I Reckon it's a pretty good article by Mascord and he writes from the heart but there's a couple of things in his argument that I think we can't do much about, and I quote;

"On the other is a governing body run by a former corporate banker trying to figure out why twice as many Australian women say they have been to an AFL game as to a rugby league match, and why rugby union still gets blue-chip sponsors despite all other indicators of its health indicating imminent cardiac arrest."

1. Getting more women into league - I can only comment on personal experience but all the women I know who prefer the AFL over league reckon it has a better perv value and nothing else. None and I mean none of them can tell you the finer attributes of the game. Obviously different requirements of the sports mean that AFL players have a leaner physique and the girls like the kit they wear. Does any woman want to see George Rose in AFL gear?

2. Rugby's corporate support. I work in the marketing industry and I'm one of a handful of people that didn't get a private school education which makes holding a rugby league conversation at the water cooler a lonely task. I've seen clients throw away tons of money sponsoring golf events even when I show them the rating figures that illustrate that nobody's watching the damn thing. Rugby benefits the same way in spite of sh1t ratings. Sponsorship is the indulging of one's passion with somebody else's money and rugby's their game.

Certainly, our game doesn't help itself with its off field notoriety but the working man's game is more likely to come off second best when the corporate class hold the purse strings.

Godz Illa

Coach
If this article was penned by Bourbon Beccy or Slothfield, it would be rubbished and the vast majority of people would be drawing attention to the same points I've raised above. Yet because it's the opinion of Steve Mascord, apparently we should show complete reverence for every word he's written and treat it as gospel truth?

Pretty much, yeah. Obviously not to the extent of "gospel" but I don't see why it is so outrageous that Mascord has credibility where the others don't.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the challenge is RL faces quite a unique situation compared to any other sport. We have a triple whammy:
1) bogan players who act like dckheads
2) a unfair reputation as a bogan sport
3) a unfirendly media that is keen to stick the knife in at any opportunity.

Most sports only have to deal with number 1. We have to deal with all three meaning any indiscretion is magnified ten fold in terms of impact on the games reputation and appeal. Like others have said we can't look at other sports for answers we have to find them ourselves. What I'd do if I was CEO:

A clear and consistent penalty system for player misbehavour from the NRL rather than clubs responsibility
A decent media dept (weren;t they employing 20 people or something?) that turns around the public perception through positive news
Tougher isolation action on journos that constantly sht on the game
A major and sustained brand marketing offensive that promotes the attributes of RL and what makes it the game we all love so much

The only problem with a 1 size fits all. What one club thinks is worth is a fine or suspension others might not.

2 examples Penrith stood down Peachey and a lower grader Moseley for being kicked out and banned from the Leagues Club. Probably every club has numerous of these sort of things. Hsrdly worth the NRL getting involved

What they can do is make it say 18months before a player can be registered if they are sacked. It will get rid of the grubs either way

Red Bear

Referee
Maybe I could of worded it different.

Mascord and others expect players to be robots when these issues aren't just RL or sport exclusive.

They said on the news early in the week. Fines for not leaving premises had increased. How many of those people get suspended from work? or even got publicly shamed?
They don't expect players to be robots. They expect them to be able to conduct their lives without shitting in hallways, pissing in their own mouths or simulating sex acts with dogs. Is that such a stretch?

They probably want less robotic players who give some sort of thoughtful response to interviews.

the media who keep comparing Rugby League to them

You keep comparing rugby league to them.

franklin2323

Immortal
They don't expect players to be robots. They expect them to be able to conduct their lives without shitting in hallways, pissing in their own mouths or simulating sex acts with dogs. Is that such a stretch?

The fact that pissing in your own mouth has a name shows it must be done by more then just Carney. All sort of stuff happens to hotels on Buck's nights and alike.

Get a radio scanner and one Saturday night turn it on. Most of the stuff like that is common. Doesn't mean RL players shouldn't get the arse for doing stupid stuff like that but it's hardly on RL players

seanoff

Juniors
the players and to a lesser extent the coaches represent the code. that applies to all sports, worldwide.

they get paid the big money, and with that comes big scrutiny. yes there are a lot of dickhead 22yo out there, but not many of them are on hundreds of k / year and not many with that level of public interest.

reading and listening to NFL players talk about the locker room. guys misbehaving are told by the senior players to quit it or else. and with non-guaranteed contracts in the NFL, the teams also have that luxury. No need for a big hoohaa, guys are just released. deSean Jackson was cut by Philly and none of the players said anything, because he was considered in the locker room, to be a selfish, lazy, jerk.

The problem is Carney was one of the senior guys at Cronulla. What hope have the younger guys got if that is their example. and he was on a no 2nd chance clause in his contract, which he supposedly broke multiple times already this year. young guys seeing that, learn that pretty much anything goes.

Surrogate

Juniors
the players and to a lesser extent the coaches represent the code. that applies to all sports, worldwide.

they get paid the big money, and with that comes big scrutiny. yes there are a lot of dickhead 22yo out there, but not many of them are on hundreds of k / year and not many with that level of public interest.

reading and listening to NFL players talk about the locker room. guys misbehaving are told by the senior players to quit it or else. and with non-guaranteed contracts in the NFL, the teams also have that luxury. No need for a big hoohaa, guys are just released. deSean Jackson was cut by Philly and none of the players said anything, because he was considered in the locker room, to be a selfish, lazy, jerk.

The problem is Carney was one of the senior guys at Cronulla. What hope have the younger guys got if that is their example. and he was on a no 2nd chance clause in his contract, which he supposedly broke multiple times already this year. young guys seeing that, learn that pretty much anything goes.

Come on mate, you're assuming all young people are stupid. Cronulla management have taught how not to discipline. Pets get treated better for peeing inside houses.

Danish

Referee

Ah yes... the young upstanding men of the NFL.

I suppose when they are busy raping or beating up women, getting drunk and bashing people, fighting dogs, or just straight up kicking people to death they are true role models.... at least when they aren't cramming themselves full of whatever PEDs they are using that reduce the average NFL player's lifespan by about 15+ years.

Honestly if you are going to hang shit on league, please don't try to bring up other sports with far worse player behaviour records.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My mate works FIFO on big $'s. They have a zero alcohol and drugs policy in system during work time, get tested before shifts, get caught and your sacked. Its not like other industries don't have a set of expectations on employee behaviour. End of day NRL has to decide what is more important, the games reputation and brand or players being given second, third and fourth chances in the hope these young guys come good at some stage in their lives.