What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mascord: Rugby league, your image stinks, fix it.

big hit!

Bench
To fix rugby league you first need a big broom to sweep out the brain matter that supports this Forrest Gump behaviour.
Ex-players supporting stupid has to stop. Sterlo, Fittler, Johns, every week you hear the same reports from the same muppets.
It has worn thin and the code took the wrong bet.
They rewarded bad and bad is now killing support and it could be too late to fix this mess.

Stop sending in the clowns, the code has enough already, one footy show is too many.
Foxx is now being over-run with stupidity.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

I don't think the NRL have any input into who 9 and Fox employ to present their Rugby League coverage.

Furthermore, considering that these guys are practically the front line image for rugby league off-field (as well as the belligerents and bozos on radio), and they have played or been around rugby league for most of their lives, then they are a general reflection of who the man that plays rugby league is. Blokey dinosaurs on massive coin who still harbour strong working class attitudes and behaviourisms. If they're representing the game, it's time to get professional. The only ex-player who is for mine is Sterlo.

Parra

Referee
Why disparage working class people. They have nothing at all to do with this. Pissing into your own mouth shows no class at all.

big hit!

Bench
Why disparage working class people. They have nothing at all to do with this. Pissing into your own mouth shows no class at all.

i understand. A grew up in a working class family myself.

I guess I mean bogan more accurately.

Canard

Immortal
To fix rugby league you first need a big broom to sweep out the brain matter that supports this Forrest Gump behaviour.
Ex-players supporting stupid has to stop. Sterlo, Fittler, Johns, every week you hear the same reports from the same muppets.
It has worn thin and the code took the wrong bet.
They rewarded bad and bad is now killing support and it could be too late to fix this mess.

Stop sending in the clowns, the code has enough already, one footy show is too many.
Foxx is now being over-run with stupidity.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Yet more proof that this guy is just one big troll in the Bunniesman vein.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Well the ABC did not fail to disappoint.

In their report ozzie rules is described as "one of the world's most popular sports".

But of course the media have no agenda.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Lost count of how many times Carney has been called a "good bloke"' by former and current players since this story broke:lol:

eozsmiles

Bench
Lost count of how many times Carney has been called a "good bloke"' by former and current players since this story broke:lol:

Only on camera, which kind of makes it worse. It's the whole boys club, and they probably think they are doing the right thing by not dragging him down further. There are players in the comp that genuinely hate each other and players on the same teams that don't like each other, but everyone is a good bloke when the cameras are rolling. Ask a player about Robert Lui on camera and they'll probably say he is a great team mate who would do anything for you............ :crazy:

I was talking to a mate the other day who played a couple of seasons with Todd. He didn't say he was a good bloke, just a lunatic who is dangerous to be around. Not a microphone in sight though. He said he is simply a dumb merkin who doesn't understand how stupid he is. He then said he's seen the bubbler performed many times on mad monday, so maybe that's why players are kind to each other on TV - glasshouses and all that.

steavis

Juniors
I only just came across this threat. Thanks everyone for caring enough to comment, positive or negative. I did the following month's Bondi Beat about the response. You can find it on the front page of stevemascord dot com. Cheers!

A poor piece underlined by abject Uncle Tommery. Hidden away in there is an acknowledgement that the media is largely to blame for the image of the game but you continue to focus instead on token incidents 'confirming' those prejudices, effectively giving the media a free pass.

Funny. When players like Sandow act up, the journos are quick to put the boot into rugby league and yap on about how the rugby league community needs to do more to change negative perceptions so that we're viewed more favourably, because one individuals actions are a reflection on the sport as a whole.

But when Sandow acted up I didn't once see someone put forward the same rallying cry towards the indigenous community... "Yeah, guys, forget all this institutional racism, forget the fact the media hates you and peddles anti-black propaganda for fun, it's on you if everyone stereotypes and looks down on you because now and again people like Chrissy Sandow make a twat of themselves. Sandow is responsible for negative sentiment." :lol:

Not to trivialise racism by any means, but as a comparison in reason its telling. Could you imagine if that half-arsed logic was applied to anything outside of sport? It would be rightfully dismissed as the drivel that it is.

We all know that journalists and big media outlets are largely responsible for shaping public discourse. And you won't get paid for it, but if you're so fiercely passionate about rugby league and its image, Steve, why not jump on your blog and knock out a few thousand words about the role the media plays in popularising anti-league sentiment.

After all, rugby league does not have a disproportionately high incidence of misbehaviour in relation to other sports - it's worth keeping this point in mind - so putting so much emphasis on player and code accountability, and absolving the media of fault, is a nonsense.

I appreciate that the natural follow-up argument is that rugby league cannot control or hold the media to account, but it can do so of its players and itself, therefore the focus should be on what rugby league can do for rugby league and not what the media can do for rugby league. I get that. I don't agree with it necessarily, but I get it. However, as a journalist and true fan of the game, why not share with us some in-depth musings on the medias relentless assault on rugby league and working people? That's what I don't get.

What it ultimately boils down to is that your article was in many ways a betrayal. You said nothing new, you merely repeated what we've already heard from the media for decades. It was boring, Rothfield-esque shite that was controversial for no other reason than that it came from Steve Mascord - a guy most of us here championed for one reason or another.

Honestly, rugby league must be one of the few sports in the world in which so-called fanaticals and friends of the game get in line to heap shit on it and parrot the same bullshit as the detractors. In a time when the code needs people to defend it, in comes Mascord with his omnishambolic balderdash. That you're continuing on, blind to the harm that YOU have done to the sport with your article, is staggering.

Give the media a fair serve (I appreciate your impartial editors won't allow it in their prized rags) or go away. :lol:

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
A poor piece underlined by abject Uncle Tommery. Hidden away in there is an acknowledgement that the media is largely to blame for the image of the game but you continue to focus instead on token incidents 'confirming' those prejudices, effectively giving the media a free pass.

Funny. When players like Sandow act up, the journos are quick to put the boot into rugby league and yap on about how the rugby league community needs to do more to change negative perceptions so that we're viewed more favourably, because one individuals actions are a reflection on the sport as a whole.

But when Sandow acted up I didn't once see someone put forward the same rallying cry towards the indigenous community... "Yeah, guys, forget all this institutional racism, forget the fact the media hates you and peddles anti-black propaganda for fun, it's on you if everyone stereotypes and looks down on you because now and again people like Chrissy Sandow make a twat of themselves. Sandow is responsible for negative sentiment." :lol:

Not to trivialise racism by any means, but as a comparison in reason its telling. Could you imagine if that half-arsed logic was applied to anything outside of sport? It would be rightfully dismissed as the drivel that it is.

We all know that journalists and big media outlets are largely responsible for shaping public discourse. And you won't get paid for it, but if you're so fiercely passionate about rugby league and its image, Steve, why not jump on your blog and knock out a few thousand words about the role the media plays in popularising anti-league sentiment.

After all, rugby league does not have a disproportionately high incidence of misbehaviour in relation to other sports - it's worth keeping this point in mind - so putting so much emphasis on player and code accountability, and absolving the media of fault, is a nonsense.

I appreciate that the natural follow-up argument is that rugby league cannot control or hold the media to account, but it can do so of its players and itself, therefore the focus should be on what rugby league can do for rugby league and not what the media can do for rugby league. I get that. I don't agree with it necessarily, but I get it. However, as a journalist and true fan of the game, why not share with us some in-depth musings on the medias relentless assault on rugby league and working people? That's what I don't get.

What it ultimately boils down to is that your article was in many ways a betrayal. You said nothing new, you merely repeated what we've already heard from the media for decades. It was boring, Rothfield-esque shite that was controversial for no other reason than that it came from Steve Mascord - a guy most of us here championed for one reason or another.

Honestly, rugby league must be one of the few sports in the world in which so-called fanaticals and friends of the game get in line to heap shit on it and parrot the same bullshit as the detractors. In a time when the code needs people to defend it, in comes Mascord with his omnishambolic balderdash. That you're continuing on, blind to the harm that YOU have done to the sport with your article, is staggering.

Give the media a fair serve (I appreciate your impartial editors won't allow it in their prized rags) or go away. :lol:

Well said, there are many like myself who continue to ask that players be given far more compassion than they receive. The time they have to spend sacrificing a 'normal' social life to train and play the game we love results in a level of naivety that those incapable of the same achievement fail to understand.

Anyone watching Four Corners re pedophilia in the church wouldn't be able to comprehend why Monaghan is ostracised for something that should have remained private while years of known depravity of innocents was ignored. Media will always take the easiest path, it's up to us not to propagate the bullshit by adding substance

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Are you high ?

Are you suggesting a high profile player pictured getting a dog licking dog food off his c**k doesn't deserve what is coming to him because the church covered up kiddie fiddlers ?

MaxPower

Juniors
There is one sporting code that seems to have a rather disproportionate influence over the media in this country. Would it be unreasonable to suggest they would use this influence to harm a competitor?

POPEYE

Coach
Are you high ?

Are you suggesting a high profile player pictured getting a dog licking dog food off his c**k doesn't deserve what is coming to him because the church covered up kiddie fiddlers ?

Whether or not I think a harmless prank supposed to remain harmless amongst friends but was rendered dangerous to the minds of children more by the exposing than the doing is beside the f**king point dumbarse.

The opposite happens when something dastardly threatening the entire lives of innocents for years is purposely concealed only because the media thinks it's too difficult to pursue even when common knowledge

What makes it worse is people like you don't take my posting in the context it was meant because it upset your miniscule grasp on the reality that on a scale of shit happens the things we read on the back page are insignificant