What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason v Kidwell

In-goal

Bench
Mason gob on during the Haka and got what he deserved, Kidwell absolutley smashed him.

Australia were lucky I believe with 2 try's coming from intercepts, Gasnier was well out of the line and should Jones's pass been on the money the Australian line was open..

Thurstons was just in the right place as Kidwell laid on a perfect pass for him.

By no means am I biased either way but I do believe that the tri-nations shouldn't start unitil the English season is over.

perhaps NZ can say that they will bring in Jason Cayless, Motu Tony, Willie Talau and perhaps one or two more?

Althoough I belive that this years final will be between Australia and GB, I still think a NZ will offer more than nusense value toward toward the back end of the competition.

I also think that it is wrong that Aus v NZ play the opening 2 games of the tournament, the timing of the english system must be reviewed in order to allow GB to compete from the outset.

In conclusion Willie Mason your sh*t

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I think the roos have at least 50% improvement in them. They played like crap for a lot of the game.

The haka is a challenge isn't it? Go for it Willie.

NPK

Bench
I don't have a problem with opponents responding to the haka like Mason did. The haka is an intimidation tactic really, so why the hell can't the other team respond? They're supposed to quietly cop it?
Let's see how well the Kiwis can play without the adrenalin the haka gives and the effects karva has after the game.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
gunnamatta bay said:
BTW in goal. I saw Willie's mouth moving but I have no idea what he was saying. Do you?

f**k off.

Stevie Wonder could have lip read that.

New Zealand have 90% improvement, we were overall pretty dire i though. Can only get better. Plus it is a joke that the comptetition starts the same weekend as the english grand final.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
IanRitchie said:
f**k off.

Stevie Wonder could have lip read that.

New Zealand have 90% improvement, we were overall pretty dire i though. Can only get better. Plus it is a joke that the comptetition starts the same weekend as the english grand final.

I see. You have no idea what he was saying then. Or are you deaf as well as stupid?

NPK said:
I don't have a problem with opponents responding to the haka like Mason did. The haka is an intimidation tactic really, so why the hell can't the other team respond? They're supposed to quietly cop it?
Let's see how well the Kiwis can play without the adrenalin the haka gives and the effects karva has after the game.

Do you know anything about culture at all?

To say "Wankers.....f**k off." during the haka is exremely disrespectful, especially when you're born in New Zealand.

Anyway he got what he deserved, he hit the ground like the big sack of sh*t he truly is.

Enjoy seeing out of one eye this week Willie you big-mouthed, overrated, overgrown soft-c**k.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Until someone can prove he was actually using the abovementioned words there is no proof he was saying anything 'disrespectful'.

Thus far no has despite listening to a lot of hear say generated by what appears to be over active imaginations.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
BTW Kidwell should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute and charged with assault by the police. No doubt the courrupt nz police will fail to act though.

Your sig says it all.

Kidwell's one of the best hitmen in the game at the moment...first Civoneceiva in the GF, now Mason. Inspirational defence.

Who's next?

ozbash

Referee
Thanks willie, you just motivated the kiwis for melbourne. :lol:

Willie Mason has been accused of disrespecting the haka after Australia defeated New Zealand 30-18 in a spiteful opening Tri Nations encounter at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday.

Mason, who sustained an ugly eye injury when crunched in a ferocious tackle by Kiwi enforcer David Kidwell, set the tone for a bloody battle when he stared down the haka and mouthed an obscenity.

Kidwell denied the hit was retaliation for Mason's actions during the traditional Kiwi pre-game ritual, but said his actions were disrespectful - a claim vehemently rejected by Mason.

Kiwi coach Brian McClennan says Mason's verbal assault of the team while they were doing the haka showed a complete lack of respect for New Zealand culture.

McClennan added Mason deserved to get smashed as he did by Kidwell.

The Bulldogs enforcer then ensured a fiery rematch in Melbourne next Saturday night by declaring he'd get square with Kidwell for his "cheap shot".

"Do I owe him one? Yeah, I do owe him one," Mason said.

"It's just part of the game, it's test football.

"You give some, you get some, that's about it.

"I didn't see him, I thought it was just a cheap shot, he wasn't in front of me, he was at the side.

"Whether they were trying to call it a big hit or not, I call it a cheap shot.

"That's the way he plays, I've never seen him run in the middle of the ruck to take a hit up.

"I don't care what he says."

Asked if Mason's actions during the haka were disrespectful, Kidwell said: "Yeah, it is, it's a big tradition for my people."

However, Mason said he meant no offence.

"It is a test match. I respect the haka, I respect the Maori culture and I felt a lot of emotion and things were said in the heat of the battle."

Earlier in the week, the NZRL asked cultural advisor Bailey Mackey to speak with the team about the cultural significance of the ritual.

The fiery mood carried onto the field as well - in the 23rd minute, a stoush between three quarters Matt King and Manu Vatuvei sparking an all-in brawl.

King came up swinging after Vatuvei pushed him over the sideline and into an advertising boarding, with a crowd of 17,887 baying for blood.

"I thought I got pushed in the back into the siteboard and I didn't think it was the right thing to do," King said.

"I just wanted to let him know I wasn't going to stand for it."

Vatuvei also pushed Darren Lockyer over the sideline after he cleaned up a ball in his in-goal, the Australian captain narrowly missing a quad bike on the sidelines.

"I was only an inches away from ending up on the motorbike - I was fortunate," Lockyer said.

Debutant Reni Maitua, who sustained an ankle injury, labelled it "dangerous" due to the proximity of the advertising boardings.

When the sides settled down long enough to play football, Australia took control of the game.

The Kiwis scored early through makeshift pivot Nigel Vagana, but two tries in the space of four minutes to Kangaroos fullback Karmichael Hunt swung the advantage in the visitors' favour.

While the defending champions were willing till the end, Australia always seemed in control, thanks mainly to a starring hand from halfback Johnathan Thurston.

In his first opportunity to make Andrew Johns' No.7 jersey his own in test football, the North Queensland playmaker had a hand in four of the Kangaroos five tries and kicked five goals from six attempts in a man-of-the-match performance.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said the fisticuffs were part and parcel of test football.

"I didn't see anyone in the stand not enjoy it," he said.

"Nobody got hurt, that's what you expect.

"You don't condone it, but sometimes it's nice to see that passion.

"If international football didn't have that, it would show that it's not important for the players.

McClennan was pleased with the effort of his team and predicted improvement as the tournament unfolded.

"You can't win the final if you don't make it," he said.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Mason got a good hit on kidwell aswell during that game just before kidwell got him...

Too bad his inspirational defence couldnt help them win the game...

Skinner

Coach
Y2Eel said:
Mason got a good hit on kidwell aswell during that game just before kidwell got him...

Don't see any black eyes on Kidwell mate.....not like limp willie

Y2Eel

First Grade
Skinner said:
Don't see any black eyes on Kidwell mate.....not like limp willie

So you dont see black eyes oin most of the guys SBW smashes doesnt mean he didnt smash them? ;-)

LOL @ Mason crying like a bitch in that article.

"aww it was from the side.....it was cheap... waaa waaaa WAAAAAA!!!"

Mason wanted to join the All Blacks if he switched to Union, then he disrespects the haka. That show's what kind of person he is, and his excuse was pitiful.

Y2Eel

First Grade
That wasnt a cheap shot he got hit hard and went down like a biatch... Lets see if he dogs it next game or comes out and squares up..

MKEB...

Staff member
Where was the cheap shot in that? Everybody in league gets absolutely nailed at some stage.

lets pass a new rule...If your name is Willie Mason, nobody is allowed to nail you.

Christ, what would he say if hit by an Ian Roberts bell-ringer or a Peter Johnstone cruncher.

you farkin Nancy...

nqboy

First Grade
Cheap shot? Have another look Willie. It was a beauty and you just have to shut your mouth and wear it until you can get one back on him.

I have no problem with disrespecting the haka. As others have said, it's a challenge meant to intimidate the opposition, so whatever they want to send back in return is fine by me. The Kiwis are being a bit precious complaining about swearing at the haka. Yes, it's close to your heart but we're trying to put you off your game so dry your eyes princess.

And it's so typical of the Kiwi culture that all the focus is on the big hit instead of the final score. They have always preferred winning the fight to winning the game. Dumb.

Latest posts