What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mat Rogers to the Titans

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Steelers4eva said:
Hopefully the NRL will send out a very clear message to these guys and refuse to register his contract, that should also apply to Lote, Wendell and any one else who thought the grass was greener. I suggested this when Gaz was contemplating the switch as well. It would make a handy bargaining tool against those players who decide to use union as leverage when negotiating with their NRL clubs. The clubs could then say "here's the best we can do, if you want to go to union just remember you can't came back".

League survived the departure of these clowns and we can certainly do without them coming back. Just remember the money these guys take out of a salary cap could be used to keep 3 or 4 up and comers in the game and away from union, rather than fund a pension fund for traitors.
Why? And become like Union was and be vindictive and bitchy about it?
Union used to be heavily criticised because it had a policy of black banning any player who considered a switch to League. IMO, it was unprofessional and essentially a low act to deny a bloke a job, that is discriminating against him simply because he played a different sport. I also wonder if it could be tested legally.

Rugby League is supposed to be a professional game, it should remain as such.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
B-dos said:
yes i was aware of that. thanks.

asked by me.

geez, settle down son. this isnt a court of law. I was having a lighthearted comment thats all.

Cheers. Well they certainly have recruited well. I think they have done very well assemble that team and keep the budget in tact. They obviously have a good recruitment team.

Thanks for that willow but take a chill pill mate.
LOL. I never said it was a court of law. I think you're overeacting. As long as you understood my meaning, that's the main thing.

Thomas

First Grade
Willow said:
Why? And become like Union was and be vindictive and bitchy about it?
Union used to be heavily criticised because it had a policy of black banning any player who considered a switch to League. IMO, it was unprofessional and essentially a low act to deny a bloke a job, that is discriminating against him simply because he played a different sport. I also wonder if it could be tested legally.

Rugby League is supposed to be a professional game, it should remain as such.

Spot on Willow.

As a RU fan, I know all too well how people who switched codes were dealt with. Things have changed now and I'd hate to see RU do that again.

Likewise with the NRL. The QRL did it to Berrick Barnes last year and Wayne Bennett said that it is that type of behaviour that could turn a player off the game for life.

I'm sure Rogers will play for the Waratahs next year and possibly with the Wallabies should he remain injury free.

innsaneink said:
Yeah...especially since we have Jason Moodie in our sights. :crazy:

I'd rather find Hassan Saleh and re-sign him than Rogers.

They both shat on the sport but ony one did it through lack of talent.

Surely

Post Whore
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
According to Surely, that shouldn't be a problem. He's behind 20 odd Wallabies apparently. And we can probably add Cross and sh*tcofske to the list in front of him.

He'll go.

He'll go, but he wont get a spot in the run on side.

Stop being a pack of softcocks.

Union would like nothing more than to see League disappear. Union is struggling and we should be laying the boot in and if that means telling any turnncoat that they're not welcome back, so be it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thomas said:
Spot on Willow.

As a RU fan, I know all too well how people who switched codes were dealt with. Things have changed now and I'd hate to see RU do that again.

Likewise with the NRL. The QRL did it to Berrick Barnes last year and Wayne Bennett said that it is that type of behaviour that could turn a player off the game for life.

I'm sure Rogers will play for the Waratahs next year and possibly with the Wallabies should he remain injury free.
Yes it has changed with Union actively chasing League players nowadays. But they used to be notorious for the treatment they handed out to any player who considered playing League. Union had a long history of it and the policy was widely criticised as being small minded and unprofessional. I feel that some folks have short memories, or perhaps it was just before their time which is understandable.

Razor

Coach
I also wonder if it could be tested legally.

Union would have lost the court case if a player took it to court, but then all Union had to do was say "We did consider signing the player back but decided he wasn't good enough". Same as the ARL did in 1995 when the court ruled that they had to consider SL players for the World cup.

Briza

Juniors
I Hope so, the amount of wrong desicions he makes for the wallabies is outstanding, they will be a better side without him!

Simo

First Grade
To many pages to read all the way through in case this has been pointed out but I am voicing my opinion of those who just found out that he is 31 and will be 33 and 34 when he plays for the Gold coast........dud buy and way to expensive for an old codger who in my opinion was a good player without being great and a pretty good kicker without being in the El Mazri class.

Rogers is coming back for his super cheque - the player was at best an average league player and even worse at union.

union won't miss him since they have Ryan Cross who was the top school boy rugby player until he signed with the Roosters in 1996. Cross will be a Wallaby for certain

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Mat Rogers coming home to NRL as a Titan
Written by: Titans Media
13/09/2006
Rogers-mat_2005_02.jpg

Rugby League and Union dual international Mat Rogers has agreed to a 3 year deal with the Gold Coast Titans.

The former Cronulla Sharks and current Australian Wallabies star will finalise his contract with the Australian Rugby Union in 2007 before returning to the NRL and the Gold Coast Titans along with his family, model and TV presenter Chloe Maxwell and their son Max.

Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle says the signing of Rogers is a massive coup, not only for the Gold Coast Titans, but for the NRL and the entire Gold Coast Community. “Having that star factor plays an enormous role, not only in attracting new sponsors but in generating huge excitement throughout the community.”

“Mat Rogers will be a huge drawcard for the Titans during our first season at Robina Stadium in 2008 and I look forward to his arrival.”

“This club is determined to compete on all levels be that commercial or on the playing field and Mat will provide international star attraction to our team and add another dimension to our backline.”

Equally as comfortable as an outside back or in the halves, Rogers has been signed as a running back for the Titans in 2008. “To his credit he could have secured a far greater financial contract by staying in rugby union but he firmly believes he has outstanding business in our game that he wants to resolve and we have no doubt that he will once again prove to be a potent strike weapon when he returns to the NRL.

“We look forward to welcoming Mat his partner Chloe Maxwell and their son Jack, Skyla and Max to the Gold Coast and our club in 2008.

This is another announcement that should excite our fans and the whole of the rugby league community as we work towards kick off in 2007. ”

“Having a rugby league and union dual international of Mat Rogers calibre playing in the National Rugby League again is a coup not only for the Gold Coast Titans but for the National Rugby League.”

While he won't see Mat until the 2008 season, Coach John Cartwright says securing the signature of a player like Mat Rogers will be a huge boost to the entire squad. “Mat is an exceptional talent and I am thrilled that we have continued to attract some of the sports biggest names north to the Titans. Wherever Mat slots into the backline in 2008, one thing is for sure, he will create more than a few head aches for his rivals and plenty of scoring opportunities for his team mates, it will be a pleasure to have him on board.”

NRL CEO David Gallop congratulated the Titans on their efforts assisting a great rugby league name to return to the National Rugby League. “The Titans have already shown they are out to make an impact in 2007 and the fact they are planning beyond that even now, underlines just how committed they are.”

“Certainly this is a signing that will make everyone sit up and take notice of the Gold Coast and it will be fantastic to see Mat resume his National Rugby League career in our Centenary year.”

Mat Rogers Fact File

Mat Rogers and his family have a long association with the Gold Coast.

Mat attended TSS, The Southport School and his late and legendary father, Steve Rogers played for the Southport Tigers where he won a Premiership in 1972. He was also Captain Coach at Nerang for a short period before moving to play with Cronulla in 1972.

Name Mat Rogers
Born February 1 1976
Place of Birth Sydney
School TSS, The Southport School, Gold Coast
Playing History Australian Schoolboy Rugby Union International.
Cronulla Sharks 1995-2001
5 Games Queensland State of Origin team
11 Tests Australian Kangaroos Rugby League Team
New South Wales Waratahs Super 14 side 2002
Australian Wallabies Rugby Union team, debut 2002 v France,
41 caps for the Wallabies, Points 158 (13t, 27c, 13p)
2008 Gold Coast Titans
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=12113

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Updated: Rogers signs with Titans
Written by: The League Guru
13/09/2006
Titans-logo-angle-200x200.gif

Former Cronulla winger and dual International Mat Rogers has announced he will quit rugby union after next year's World Cup in France and return to rugby league.

Rogers has signed a two-year deal with the new Gold Coast Titans franchise once his current contract with the Wallabies expires at the end of next season.

"It's great opportunity to start afresh," Rogers said today,

"I spent my formative years on the Gold Coast and it was the best days of my life."

Rogers stressed his commitment to the Wallabies up to and including next year's World Cup campaign.

"I'm certainly looking forward to the next 12 months in rugby," he said.

"It would be good to finish with a bang and I can move on knowing that I have achieved everything. By no means do I feel I have achieved everything in rugby, there's still a lot to go."

Wallabies coach John Connolly said Rogers had discussed his plans with the ARU and his decision would not have any impact on his prospects of playing at the World Cup.

"Mat's done a great service for rugby, he's been a great team man," Connolly told a Sydney radio station.

"He'll be 32 at the end of the World Cup next year and whatever decision he makes, we'll support him."

Rogers was one of three high-profile rugby league players who defected to union ahead of the 2003 World Cup, where Australia finished runners-up to England. Rogers played 11 tests for Australia in rugby league and was a member of the Kangaroos team that won the 2000 World Cup before switching codes in 2002.

He has played 41 tests for the Wallabies at fullback, centre and fly-half, scoring 13 tries.
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=12112

Woods99

Juniors
Willow said:
Yes it has changed with Union actively chasing League players nowadays. But they used to be notorious for the treatment they handed out to any player who considered playing League. Union had a long history of it and the policy was widely criticised as being small minded and unprofessional. I feel that some folks have short memories, or perhaps it was just before their time which is understandable.

Rugby union was the last of the sports to maintain an "amateur" tradition.

Tennis at the top level was amateur until fairly recently. When players turned professional, they were unable to play in any of the big events (including the Davis Cup).

The Olympics, and all the associated athletic and swimming sports, were amateur until fairly recently as well.

Until fairly recently, amateur cricketers in England ("gentlemen") were distinguished from professionals ("players"). There was an annual match between the "Gentlemen" and the "Players". Sir Leonard Hutton, in 1953, was the first "player" to captain England.

So it was not just rugby union that had an amateur ethos. All the British sports did, except rugby league.

Fortunately, those days are over, and players can pick and choose which sports to play, and whether to pursue a professional career.

Oh. Except for golf, which still maintains an amateur stream.;-)

So he'll be 35 at the end of the contract and his bodies already not coping @ 30 in a less intensive sport for backs.

Yep great signing titans.

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Rugby union was the last of the sports to maintain an "amateur" tradition.
That means they were the last to pay players money on top of the table. It also means banning anyone for “life” who stepped foot on a Rugby League paddock. Of course Union going professional had nothing to do with being sh*t scared of Super League.
Woods99 said:
Tennis at the top level was amateur until fairly recently. When players turned professional, they were unable to play in any of the big events (including the Davis Cup).

Not true. Tennis has been OPEN for the Grand Slam Circuit since 1968, 38 years ago. Here is bit on our champion Rod Laver path to professionalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Laver

As a professional

Laver turned professional after completing the Grand Slam in 1962. He quickly established himself among the leading professional players, delighting crowds with duels against Pancho Gonzales and Ken Rosewall. During the next seven years, Laver won the US Pro Championships five times, including four in a row from 1966-1969.
In the first half year of 1963, Laver was beaten badly by both Rosewall and Hoad. Hoad, in fact, won the first 8 matches against Laver, Rosewall 11 out of 13. By the end of the year, however, with three tournament titles, Laver had established himself as the No.2 professional player (on par with Hoad) behind Rosewall. In 1964 he ranked together with Rosewall with seven important titles, but Laver had a 12-3 head-to-head record over Rosewall and won the two most prestigious titles, the U.S. Pro over Gonzales and the Wembley Pro Championship over Rosewall (coming from behind in a tight 5-setter). In 1965 he became clearly the No. 1 professional player, winning 15 titles. In ten finals he met the still dangerous Gonzales, and won eight of their clashes. In 1966 he won ten important tournaments, again including the US Pro and Wembley crowns. In 1967 he won a record 18 titles, including the Wimbledon Pro, US Pro, Wembley Pro and French Pro Championship, which gave him a clean sweep of the important Pro titles. The tournament in 1967 on Wimbledon's Centre Court was the only Pro event ever staged on the sacred lawns and paved the way to open tennis. Laver beat Rosewall in the final 6-2, 6-2, 12-10.
Laver played 111 matches against Rosewall, all of them as a professional, winning 62 while losing 49. In open era the count is 22-9.
[edit]
As an Open Era professional

With the dawn of the Open Era in 1968, professional players were once again allowed to compete in the Grand Slam events. Laver became Wimbledon's first Open Era champion in 1968, beating fellow-Australian Tony Roche in straight sets in the final.

Woods99 said:
The Olympics, and all the associated athletic and swimming sports, were amateur until fairly recently as well.
Up until the end of the Cold War, US athletes were put into Colleges to compete for Olympic Sports. Trust funds were set up and payments were made to athletes on retirement. The Eastern Block countries put their athletes in the military
Woods99 said:
Until fairly recently, amateur cricketers in England ("gentlemen") were distinguished from professionals ("players"). There was an annual match between the "Gentlemen" and the "Players". Sir Leonard Hutton, in 1953, was the first "player" to captain England.
This means Cricket allowed the idiot sons of the aristocracy to maintain their amateur status. County Professionals had different change rooms to the amateurs. WSC put an end to that stupidity
Woods99 said:
So it was not just rugby union that had an amateur ethos.
Again, that's the payments under the table
Woods99 said:
All the British sports did, except rugby league.
I wonder how popular Soccer is in England?
Woods has never heard of BARLA.
Rugby League in England created BARLA in 1970’s. The sport below the professional level struggled for government grants because the old Union mates in high places classed Rugby League as a professional sport, even at the junior level. BARLA took Rugby Union on with the issue of free gangway as well

Woods99 said:
Fortunately, those days are over, and players can pick and choose which sports to play, and whether to pursue a professional career.
That means all is forgotten, but not forgiven

Woods99 said:
Oh. Except for golf, which still maintains an amateur stream.;-)
This quote of the day. Of course, companies are lining up to sponsor weekend hackers, but social golfers prefer to maintain their amateur status,

sheet_ed

Juniors
So he'll be 35 at the end of the contract and his bodies already not coping @ 30 in a less intensive sport for backs.

Yep great signing titans.

Couldn't agree more, $300K for a 32/33 year old - Titans must know that they will be broke by the end of 2007 otherwise what IDIOT would pay this - they will need some very strong outside backs to push him around in his old mans wheelchair.

Just shows you that the ARU isn't dumb - the NRL is the ARU's new old folks home.

Wonder when George Greegan is coming to league.

This now goes up on my wall with the Roosters signing of Anasta. LOL