What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mat Rogers to the Titans

chub

Juniors
Does the Gold Coast get any sort of Salary Cap concessions in the first few years for entering the competition?

Lego_Man

First Grade
No, we're not the AFL. All of the Brisbane Lions' premierships are irretreviably tainted with that farce...if i was a fan of any Melbourne team in those years (including last year) i'd be pretty pissed off.

LESStar58

Referee
Massive signing! I was really suprised when I found out this morning.

Should have some cash free if they release Turner. I assume this is the case as they already have a number of good back 3 options....

juanfarkall

Coach
Maybe Mat is following in his late great father's footsteps by opting for the Titans.
After all Steve left the Sharks in order to try and play in a winning team.

Mat must feel that the Titans have more chance of making the finals/winning the comp than the Sharks.

Can't say I blame him.

DeeGan

Bench
chub said:
Does the Gold Coast get any sort of Salary Cap concessions in the first few years for entering the competition?

No.

I have had this confirmed on two seperate occasions with GM Ian Buchanan. We, like the rest of the 15 NRL clubs, will have to fit our team under the $4.0M salary cap.

The reported $300,000 per season is purely speculative - there has been no confirmation of this being the contract negotiated by the Gold Coast Titans. The Titans have not made a happen of discussing the size of contracts with the players we have signed in the past, we haven't done so here. It could be less for all we know.

Matt Rogers in returning to the game has given up a bucket load of cash is all that will be confirmed ;)

Woods99

Juniors
Green Machine said:
That means they were the last to pay players money on top of the table. It also means banning anyone for “life” who stepped foot on a Rugby League paddock. Of course Union going professional had nothing to do with being sh*t scared of Super League.

Not true. Tennis has been OPEN for the Grand Slam Circuit since 1968, 38 years ago. Here is bit on our champion Rod Laver path to professionalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Laver

As a professional

Laver turned professional after completing the Grand Slam in 1962. He quickly established himself among the leading professional players, delighting crowds with duels against Pancho Gonzales and Ken Rosewall. During the next seven years, Laver won the US Pro Championships five times, including four in a row from 1966-1969.
In the first half year of 1963, Laver was beaten badly by both Rosewall and Hoad. Hoad, in fact, won the first 8 matches against Laver, Rosewall 11 out of 13. By the end of the year, however, with three tournament titles, Laver had established himself as the No.2 professional player (on par with Hoad) behind Rosewall. In 1964 he ranked together with Rosewall with seven important titles, but Laver had a 12-3 head-to-head record over Rosewall and won the two most prestigious titles, the U.S. Pro over Gonzales and the Wembley Pro Championship over Rosewall (coming from behind in a tight 5-setter). In 1965 he became clearly the No. 1 professional player, winning 15 titles. In ten finals he met the still dangerous Gonzales, and won eight of their clashes. In 1966 he won ten important tournaments, again including the US Pro and Wembley crowns. In 1967 he won a record 18 titles, including the Wimbledon Pro, US Pro, Wembley Pro and French Pro Championship, which gave him a clean sweep of the important Pro titles. The tournament in 1967 on Wimbledon's Centre Court was the only Pro event ever staged on the sacred lawns and paved the way to open tennis. Laver beat Rosewall in the final 6-2, 6-2, 12-10.
Laver played 111 matches against Rosewall, all of them as a professional, winning 62 while losing 49. In open era the count is 22-9.
[edit]
As an Open Era professional

With the dawn of the Open Era in 1968, professional players were once again allowed to compete in the Grand Slam events. Laver became Wimbledon's first Open Era champion in 1968, beating fellow-Australian Tony Roche in straight sets in the final.

In the context of the discussion about professionalism in sport, 1968 is fairly recent.

Some of your colleagues are banging on about the damage that the Vichy regime in France did to your code...............they were gone in 1945.

Up until the end of the Cold War, US athletes were put into Colleges to compete for Olympic Sports. Trust funds were set up and payments were made to athletes on retirement. The Eastern Block countries put their athletes in the military

Yes. And in Australia, and many other countries, amateurism prevailed.

I am simply pointing out the facts of history, not defending them.

This means Cricket allowed the idiot sons of the aristocracy to maintain their amateur status. County Professionals had different change rooms to the amateurs. WSC put an end to that stupidity

Apparenty the "idiot sons" were good enough to play county cricket, and Test cricket?

There is no evidence that I am aware of that professionals were discriminated against in selection, other than that they could not captain the MCC (England).

Again, that's the payments under the table

I wonder how popular Soccer is in England?
Woods has never heard of BARLA.
Rugby League in England created BARLA in 1970’s. The sport below the professional level struggled for government grants because the old Union mates in high places classed Rugby League as a professional sport, even at the junior level. BARLA took Rugby Union on with the issue of free gangway as well

That means all is forgotten, but not forgiven

The "old union mates" are doing pretty well around the world since the game went professional, aren't they?

This quote of the day. Of course, companies are lining up to sponsor weekend hackers, but social golfers prefer to maintain their amateur status,

As far as I know, there is still a distinction maintained within golf between amateurs and professionals, particularly at the elite level. I do not claim to understand the intricacies of it.

GM, I do not know what your particular problems in life are. You seem to be a particularly sad person. All I have done in this thread is to point out the facts of sporting history. Amateurism was the norm in British sports until quite recently. I did not make that happen. As a rugby person, amateurism, and the loss of good players to league on a regular basis throughout my lifetime caused me a fair bit of pain.

League has done well in Australia, mainly because it was professional. It has struggled elsewhere. That is undeniable. Perhaps you could address your anger and your energy towards working out just why that is?

Calixte

First Grade
Woods99 said:
In the context of the discussion about professionalism in sport, 1968 is fairly recent.

Some of your colleagues are banging on about the damage that the Vichy regime in France did to your code...............they were gone in 1945.

Apparenty the "idiot sons" were good enough to play county cricket, and Test cricket?

There is no evidence that I am aware of that professionals were discriminated against in selection, other than that they could not captain the MCC (England).

The "old union mates" are doing pretty well around the world since the game went professional, aren't they?

As far as I know, there is still a distinction maintained within golf between amateurs and professionals, particularly at the elite level. I do not claim to understand the intricacies of it.

GM, I do not know what your particular problems in life are. You seem to be a particularly sad person. All I have done in this thread is to point out the facts of sporting history. Amateurism was the norm in British sports until quite recently. I did not make that happen. As a rugby person, amateurism, and the loss of good players to league on a regular basis throughout my lifetime caused me a fair bit of pain.

League has done well in Australia, mainly because it was professional. It has struggled elsewhere. That is undeniable. Perhaps you could address your anger and your energy towards working out just why that is?

Funny you accusing anyone of being sad.

Hates rugby league, always on a rugby league web-site.

Well done, you stupid old bastard.

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
No I don’t think it is Woods. 1995 is fairly recent. 1968 is 4 decades ago.
Woods99 said:
Woods, I never mentioned the connection between one of the 20th century’s most evil regimes, the Nazi Party and the French Rugby Union. I will also not mention the connection between the Afrikaner Broederbond which was a secret society founded in 1918 to advise the South African Government (National Party) on policy to promote Afrikaner Nationalism and Afrikaner interests including Rugby Union and apartheid. I will also not mention the New Zealand National Party encouraging Rugby Union to have contact with South Africa and breaking the Gleneagles Agreement for politic milage.

Voting for the Australian Liberal Party or Labor, yes Woods, but Rugby Union and Far Right Wing politics are not my go,

Woods99 said:
And we all know amateurism was a cover for shamateurism
Woods99 said:
Sorry, I thought you were trying to recreate history

Woods99 said:
Amateurs or gentlemen are few and far between in English cricket these days Woods,
Woods99 said:
I think you answered your own question Woods

Woods99 said:

I know that BARLA and the All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Committee don’t get bullied by the old union mates anymore.
As for Union doing well, it is pitiful if you ask me. Union in Wales is in the doldrums. Pacific Islands have lost their past glory. Mass migration from South Africa could cause the collapse of Union in that country in 20 or 30 years time. English Union will let anyone with a Rugby League background walk into their national squad. Scotland has gone backwards. Union can’t even organise a National Competition in this country. I have heard that soccer is making major inroads into Union’s playing numbers in the GPS. To be quite truthful, the ARU is run by a bunch on amateurs. But then again, New Zealand is doing quite well,

Woods99 said:

My understanding is the best amateurs are just biding their time, to break into the pros
Woods99 said:
GM, I do not know what your particular problems in life are.
Sorry Woods, I didn't realise I had problems.
Woods99 said:
You seem to be a particularly sad person.
Really?
Woods99 said:
All I have done in this thread is to point out the facts of sporting history. Amateurism was the norm in British sports until quite recently. I did not make that happen.
Soccer Woods? The most popular sport in the UK? I lived in London once and I would say that most of the population follow soccer, a professional game,
Woods99 said:
As a rugby person, amateurism, and the loss of good players to league on a regular basis throughout my lifetime caused me a fair bit of pain.
Why did it cause pain Woods? Maybe it is you that has the problem and not me.
Woods99 said:
League has done well in Australia, mainly because it was professional. It has struggled elsewhere.
I think Rugby League has done quite well in England. I think Rugby League has done quite well post 1975.
Woods99 said:
That is undeniable.
According to you?
Woods99 said:
Perhaps you could address your anger and your energy towards working out just why that is?
Sorry, I didn't realise I was causing you to troll Rugby League websites,

Charlie124

First Grade
i couldnt give a crap about what a player has done in the past (switching to union). Ill be happy to see Mat back in the superior code, Lote too if that happens, all it proves is that earning more than double the money in Union isnt as good as playing league. In my eyes thats a great thing for our game.

I also think its a little harsh to say he is a sh*t signing, he might be old but none of us have a crystal ball and none of us can say for sure that he wont be a fantastic player for them. Welcome back Mat, all the best

Perth Red

Post Whore
300 grand a year for a 31 year old does seem a bit much. Shame he has wasted the best years of his career. What position will he play I wonder? Centre??

Slappy

Juniors
A bullsh*t contract cooked up by the Titans and Rodgers as a publicity stunt.
Rodgers will retire at the end of this year, he's too old and injury prone, getting out of the contract on the grounds of injuries.
I'll be surprised if he ever plays a game for them!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Slappy said:
A bullsh*t contract cooked up by the Titans and Rodgers as a publicity stunt.
Rodgers will retire at the end of this year, he's too old and injury prone, getting out of the contract on the grounds of injuries.
I'll be surprised if he ever plays a game for them!
And the contract was signed in area 51.
btw, its Rogers.

Simo

First Grade
Perth Red said:
300 grand a year for a 31 year old does seem a bit much. Shame he has wasted the best years of his career. What position will he play I wonder? Centre??

Remember it for 2008/09 which means its 300 grand for a 33 and 34 year old!

innsaneink

Referee
ULT_7332.jpg

LOL...they carry on with a lot of crap dont they....lights smoke dramatic music & entrance, parading him round like a prize heifer...bet he felt a right git...

I hope in their attempts to be new, innovative and novel, they dont end up becoming an embarrasment to the game.
Im seriously reminded of another time with a lot of what the titans do, a time thats best left in the past.