What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs North Qld @ Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba

Who will win? Finals Week 1: North Qld v Newcastle

• North Queensland Cowboys 13+

• North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Woody90

Juniors
I feel the same. A prelim would be a good look given where the team came from during the year. That said, it's always questionable how successful the coach is when the team is essentially carried by a single player, ala last year.

I actually don’t think Ponga carried us last season as much as it’s made out. The whole side was in better form and we were playing some really good football at the start of the season last year while he was out. We still win a lot of those games at the end of the year without him IMO as the whole squad was really confident and in form.

He’s definitely carrying the squad now though which to me says we’ve gone back to Ponga ball rather than a style that suits the overall squad and a big part of that’s on coaching.

Knight Tales

Bench
A few trick shots we have not seen all season, being executed well, would be something I hope to see tonight. Something which puts them back on their heels and blows their game plan apart. Bellamy said it just now. It is a different season and it is all about intensity and execution. Whoever holds out longest wins.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
I actually don’t think Ponga carried us last season as much as it’s made out. The whole side was in better form and we were playing some really good football at the start of the season last year while he was out. We still win a lot of those games at the end of the year without him IMO as the whole squad was really confident and in form.

He’s definitely carrying the squad now though which to me says we’ve gone back to Ponga ball rather than a style that suits the overall squad and a big part of that’s on coaching.
I don't think it's 100% like that. The team has to do their role (defend well, get field position, make supporting runs etc) and Ponga is there to get us those 2 or 3 tries a game. If the team can't lay a platform for Ponga, he won't be able to win the game for us. It's not just Ponga carrying the team anymore. It's good synergy if you ask me.

Woody90

Juniors
I don't think it's 100% like that. The team has to do their role (defend well, get field position, make supporting runs etc) and Ponga is there to get us those 2 or 3 tries a game. If the team can't lay a platform for Ponga, he won't be able to win the game for us. It's not just Ponga carrying the team anymore. It's good synergy if you ask me.

What I’m saying is that I think last year the team was doing a good job in attack of laying a good platform and then when Ponga came back he could play off the back of that and just chime in if and when needed. The platform was good though so we still played well in attack and scored plenty of points when he wasn’t there.

At the moment we’re basically relying on Ponga to do everything which isn’t a good thing.

Yosh

Coach
What I’m saying is that I think last year the team was doing a good job in attack of laying a good platform and then when Ponga came back he could play off the back of that and just chime in if and when needed. The platform was good though so we still played well in attack and scored plenty of points when he wasn’t there.

At the moment we’re basically relying on Ponga to do everything which isn’t a good thing.
Our forwards have been excellent lately. Backline also excellent. Our halves aren't creating much in attack but Crossland is a class defender and supporting well on his side while Cogger's kicking game has been first class.

Woody90

Juniors
Our forwards have been excellent lately. Backline also excellent. Our halves aren't creating much in attack but Crossland is a class defender and supporting well on his side while Cogger's kicking game has been first class.

I agree our forwards and backs have been good, but KP set up our only points last week.