What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 1: Canberra v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WA Tiger

Bench
Reporter: Just because you can put Mbye at centre and fullback Doesn’t mean you can put him at 6.. That’s a completely different proposition

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Discipline is still our biggest issue IMO.

we were with Canberra until the kick out on the full, the offloads in the red zone and numerous drop balls. A heavy flow of possession to a team like Canberra and they will destroy us

Tiger Ted

Bench
The thing that really stands out about the Tigers is the really poor execution of plays in the opposition 20. There was no depth, no threatening or organised play, it was like the play book goes out the window and it’s a free for all, no composure. That’s a halves issue in my eyes. The little play for Liddles try looks like a set play but I’ve got a feeling it was just opportunistic. Mbye shouldn’t be in the halves and I think Brooks might be on the edge of wearing out his welcome. I think Liddle showed enough today to suggest he’ll improve. He hasn’t really played many games, he’ll get his wind back. Game time is gonna benefit him
AD will solve a lot our poor execution issues.I’ve watched this kid since he excelled in Balmain juniors at 5/8.He has a lot of what brooks is totally devoid of -game awareness.I’d luv to c Madden partner AD in halves coz as I’m sick of saying Brooks is glaringly the biggest liability in the team.When the FK is Maguire going to realise that brooks is not a game managers arsehole.
I’m not concerned about last nites debacle & am quite optimistic as I believe in DL AD & JL/JS we have the makings of a high quality spine.Bring on the filthy rorters !

Tiger Ted

Bench
Adam Doueihi is a 8/10 player when on top form.
He is no messiah from what I have seen.
The forwards were winning the battle at the break and the Raiders were trying to out flank us to score. That was my positive.
Ill discipline negated that work straight after the break the pigs gassed out and Canberra marched up the guts for a comfortable win. It’s a simple blueprint to beat this squad.
We don’t need AD to b the messiah.We just need him to consistently play at 8/10 as opposed to the 0/10 we get from the supreme dunce brooks each wk.If AD takes control of game management we can make the 8.

Pezz70

Juniors
AD will solve a lot our poor execution issues.I’ve watched this kid since he excelled in Balmain juniors at 5/8.He has a lot of what brooks is totally devoid of -game awareness.I’d luv to c Madden partner AD in halves coz as I’m sick of saying Brooks is glaringly the biggest liability in the team.When the FK is Maguire going to realise that brooks is not a game managers arsehole.
I’m not concerned about last nites debacle & am quite optimistic as I believe in DL AD & JL/JS we have the makings of a high quality spine.Bring on the filthy rorters !
I think Douehi will be good at 5/8, I think Madden might get a run at half in the next few weeks, I think if Jake Liddle gets a few games under his belt we’ll see some good things, I don’t think there’s a place in the side for Garner with Luciano Leilua playing well, and I think Mbye needs to play off the bench with three big men if we are to make the finals. Garner is useful if playing as a ball runner on the left edge, has nothing to offer on the right or in the centre and L Leilua looks good on the left edge, so we need a proper right edge back rower

Blackwhitegold

Juniors
I think Douehi will be good at 5/8, I think Madden might get a run at half in the next few weeks, I think if Jake Liddle gets a few games under his belt we’ll see some good things, I don’t think there’s a place in the side for Garner with Luciano Leilua playing well, and I think Mbye needs to play off the bench with three big men if we are to make the finals. Garner is useful if playing as a ball runner on the left edge, has nothing to offer on the right or in the centre and L Leilua looks good on the left edge, so we need a proper right edge back rower
Could Blore solve the right edge issues when he is back from injury? After last week’s efforts and with everyone available my team to play the rosters would be.
1. Laurie
2. Nofo
3. JTJ
4. Talau
5. AJ
6. AD
7. Madden
8. Tahmou
9. Liddell
10. Offa
11. Blore
12. Luciano
13. Simpkins
bench
14. Mbye
15. Mekaile
16. Steffano
17. Muzgrove
Players dropped from last week, Brooks couldn’t organise a f**k in a brothel let alone organise a NRL team. BJ I see why raiders let him go, he just has no brains to think what he is doing to cost the team at the time. Garner just a dumb average player. Twal didn’t hit the line at speed, he always stops running when he gets to the line and no off loads. Packer just no Impact in this team. The team above would be our best 17 but it can change due to form. We need to be switched on against the roosters or we will get 60 put on us. It’s the best time to play them now early in the season plus they aren’t at full strength but there still a good team.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Could Blore solve the right edge issues when he is back from injury? After last week’s efforts and with everyone available my team to play the rosters would be.
1. Laurie
2. Nofo
3. JTJ
4. Talau
5. AJ
6. AD
7. Madden
8. Tahmou
9. Liddell
10. Offa
11. Blore
12. Luciano
13. Simpkins
bench
14. Mbye
15. Mekaile
16. Steffano
17. Muzgrove
Players dropped from last week, Brooks couldn’t organise a f**k in a brothel let alone organise a NRL team. BJ I see why raiders let him go, he just has no brains to think what he is doing to cost the team at the time. Garner just a dumb average player. Twal didn’t hit the line at speed, he always stops running when he gets to the line and no off loads. Packer just no Impact in this team. The team above would be our best 17 but it can change due to form. We need to be switched on against the roosters or we will get 60 put on us. It’s the best time to play them now early in the season plus they aren’t at full strength but there still a good team.

Lol if you think there will be wholesale changes you’ve got rocks. I am still convinced we shot ourselves in the foot more than Canberra being some shit hot side. Our discipline was shocking for a 1st grade standard team

Madden was even worse than Brooks in the game prior and is still a couple months away at the very least.

I’d also have Simpkin on the bench as I don’t think Liddle can produce 80 quality minutes

Too much wrist slitting over an error riddled 40 mins in round 1

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Lol if you think there will be wholesale changes you’ve got rocks. I am still convinced we shot ourselves in the foot more than Canberra being some shit hot side. Our discipline was shocking for a 1st grade standard team

Madden was even worse than Brooks in the game prior and is still a couple months away at the very least.

I’d also have Simpkin on the bench as I don’t think Liddle can produce 80 quality minutes
Re: Liddle, he played 80 last game, probably his first, he will only improve from here. We need him to do this IMO, so we can utilise our bench better.

Tiger05

First Grade
Based on what?
He was f**king useless last year

I think this is bullshit. He looked good to me. He can make a break, throw a good pass, put a good kick in, take a bomb and he tries pretty hard.

I reckon he is our great hope. You also stated at some point recently he would give us an 8/10 performance week in and week out. Not many players do that.

Tiger05

First Grade

Too much wrist slitting over an error riddled 40 mins in round 1

Brooks wasn't that bad. He has some quality touches. Sure he needs to somehow organize us when we go to pieces like we did against Canberra but personally I think that is a tough ask. I don't think Brooks is a gun half but he has some upsides.

I said from the start Liddle can't play 80 minutes. Sure he can be out there for 80 minutes but hooker is one of the toughest positions in the game. I reckon it's too much to ask him to play a consistent quality 80 minutes.

I think the following changes are required:-

1. Jake Simpkin to the bench.
2. AD to 6 but this isn't really a change.

I think that this is less of a priority but I think it'd help putting Tuki Simpkins in the team and giving him plenty of time at lock. Twal does a decent job but he is very plodder like.

Packer to me drops off the bench for Tuki Simpkins and Mbye drops out for Jake Simpkin.

I'd also consider dropping BJ and promoting Talau. Talau to me is starting to show something and BJ is an emotional mess who you can't trust to perform.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Brooks wasn't that bad. He has some quality touches. Sure he needs to somehow organize us when we go to pieces like we did against Canberra but personally I think that is a tough ask. I don't think Brooks is a gun half but he has some upsides.

I said from the start Liddle can't play 80 minutes. Sure he can be out there for 80 minutes but hooker is one of the toughest positions in the game. I reckon it's too much to ask him to play a consistent quality 80 minutes.

I think the following changes are required:-

1. Jake Simpkin to the bench.
2. AD to 6 but this isn't really a change.

I think that this is less of a priority but I think it'd help putting Tuki Simpkins in the team and giving him plenty of time at lock. Twal does a decent job but he is very plodder like.

Packer to me drops off the bench for Tuki Simpkins and Mbye drops out for Jake Simpkin.

I'd also consider dropping BJ and promoting Talau. Talau to me is starting to show something and BJ is an emotional mess who you can't trust to perform.

Tuki was apparently a standout once again in reserves. I would give him a couple more hit outs before making the transition to firsts on the bench. Then we have Musgrove & Blore to complete the forwards. Pretty fearsome pack IMO

Tiger05

First Grade
Tuki was apparently a standout once again in reserves. I would give him a couple more hit outs before making the transition to firsts on the bench. Then we have Musgrove & Blore to complete the forwards. Pretty fearsome pack IMO

I like the look of our pack. Musgrove and Blore will improve our forwards if they get on the field.

WA Tiger

Bench
Was there any reason why Jimmy got hooked at the end, sure it wasn’t his best game but BJ was diabolical in comparison.
Madge not reading the room again? You don’t want the Jet to be in a huff or to lose confidence unecessarily..that could lead to ugly..

Latest posts