What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 1: Canberra v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

axl rose

Bench
Do we do any ball work in the off season or just lift weights. Clunky. No lock for the spoon though as half the comp is woeful quality.

Last edited:

Vozzy

Juniors
- first half defence was good
- most of the game attack was flat with no depth
- BJ is too dumb and becomes a liability
- Brooks does 1 good thing every 10 sets (what happened to playing either side of the ruck)
- MBye tries but lacks skill which led to Roberts getting the ball under pressure constantly
- Joe Off was best of the new guys. I liked Stefano once he was on.
- Liddle needs time before I judge him but there are far worse then him but if Simpkins is straight up better you have to put him in
- only good thing is all players are accountable now with players who could take their spot. Brooks got benched last year and it seems like it achieved nothing. If we are 0-5 Madden needs a crack.

stryker

First Grade
Nah all good , no 2nd look needed :sunglasses:
I’m glad you’re happy with a player whose body is made out of cobwebs, constantly throws forward passes, is as slow out of dummy half as Packer, makes terrible decisions, is a step behind the play and not the best defender.
I like winning and this bloke, along with Brooks, Mbye, Garner, Packer and co are dragging the club down. They are all average players on good money and/or being supported by the club with no payoff.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Should have thrown the 6 to Laurie when it was obvious Mbye was out of his depth~And we were still in it- half way through the second half- that slick kick of lauries was enough to convince me...
‘This inability to make on the run decisions hasn’t improved.

Totally agree regarding Mbye. He cannot read the game as a half. Is not a fullback either. We'll get value out of him as a back up hooker utility on the bench but that is his ceiling as a player.

Pezz70

Juniors
I thought Liddle did ok 33 tackles by half time. Wasn’t great but a few runs under his belt I think he will be fine. Biggest problem is the halves. I’ve always hoped Brooks would come good but ...... we spent loads of time in the opposition 20 and were just a rabble

simmo05

Bench
Well that was horrible. If Canberra held the ball it would have been 50. Bj has to go. He is a f**king disgrace. Even sent the captain off with a miss timed dog shot. Mbye is still a potato, garner shouldnt play NRL after that shit on wighton.
And what do you say about Brooks? I have been quietly supportive of him, believed that benji and farah were holding him back, but that display today was diabolical. He is shit, and always will be shit.
What were the team even working on over the pre season? Conceded over 30, scored f**k all, throwing offloads to no merkin, kicking the ball everywhere but where it should f**king go, and it goes on...
Ahh well, knew I shouldn't have got my hopes up!!

Hard to disagree , but things will improve .
I think they can and will improve.
The trial against a very poor Manly side did not help the Tigers, the game today was against a side that most predict will be top 4, a team that has played together for not 1 trial but basically a season or 2. The Tigers had 2 new starting props, a reserve prop, a new centre and fullback and did well until the dumb footballers that did not depart like Garner & Brooks did their dumb things. There was enough to see that things are on the up.

But I’m a glass half full type.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Am I still toxic? or just a realist sick of this shit?

I mean it’s not wrist slitting yet lol. It was a poor performance but I’d rather play like that in round 1 than round 25 playing for a finals spot.

i am hoping we see notable improvement with Adam Doueihi back as our outside backs hardly saw any ball. I don’t think Nofa seen one clean ball the entire game for example and Jimmy the Jet ran around like he was playing u8s footy.

I have absolutely no confidence in BJ despite his “diet and attitude change”.

I thought if anything our forwards and Laurie were pretty good. We got over the advantage line on a few occasions but looked lost in attack. I’m a supporter of Brooks but he looked like a deer in headlights today and some of his decisions put us on the back foot but he certainly wasn’t alone.

Pezz70

Juniors
I think they can and will improve.
The trial against a very poor Manly side did not help the Tigers, the game today was against a side that most predict will be top 4, a team that has played together for not 1 trial but basically a season or 2. The Tigers had 2 new starting props, a reserve prop, a new centre and fullback and did well until the dumb footballers that did not depart like Garner & Brooks did their dumb things. There was enough to see that things are on the up.

But I’m a glass half full type.

The thing that really stands out about the Tigers is the really poor execution of plays in the opposition 20. There was no depth, no threatening or organised play, it was like the play book goes out the window and it’s a free for all, no composure. That’s a halves issue in my eyes. The little play for Liddles try looks like a set play but I’ve got a feeling it was just opportunistic. Mbye shouldn’t be in the halves and I think Brooks might be on the edge of wearing out his welcome. I think Liddle showed enough today to suggest he’ll improve. He hasn’t really played many games, he’ll get his wind back. Game time is gonna benefit him

Unacceptable

There’s no other word for that second half performance.

Only a handful of players look serious, competent or both.

My bromance with Brooks is over. He’s finished. Drag the young bloke in next week and bj...he needs brain surgery. Ffs, implant a snails brain in him and lift his iq.....as was said, he’s just about a liability. Is he here to play footy or clown around?

Surely ad is working out ways he can be suspended for the rest of the season instead of playing with these blokes.

A few positives, but I’m not exactly in the mood.

What is it going to f**king take?

It’s becoming a human rights cruelty issue following this side. I’m surprised Amnesty isn’t investigating.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Unacceptable

There’s no other word for that second half performance.

Only a handful of players look serious, competent or both.

My bromance with Brooks is over. He’s finished. Drag the young bloke in next week and bj...he needs brain surgery. Ffs, implant a snails brain in him and lift his iq.....as was said, he’s just about a liability. Is he here to play footy or clown around?

Surely ad is working out ways he can be suspended for the rest of the season instead of playing with these blokes.

A few positives, but I’m not exactly in the mood.

What is it going to f**king take?

It’s becoming a human rights cruelty issue following this side. I’m surprised Amnesty isn’t investigating.
You must be taking this hard.
Out of all of us, you were the most excited and optimistic.
I know the feeling. I was like that a long while back.
Frustrating that nothing looks to have changed.

stryker

First Grade
I mean it’s not wrist slitting yet lol. It was a poor performance but I’d rather play like that in round 1 than round 25 playing for a finals spot.

i am hoping we see notable improvement with Adam Doueihi back as our outside backs hardly saw any ball. I don’t think Nofa seen one clean ball the entire game for example and Jimmy the Jet ran around like he was playing u8s footy.

I have absolutely no confidence in BJ despite his “diet and attitude change”.

I thought if anything our forwards and Laurie were pretty good. We got over the advantage line on a few occasions but looked lost in attack. I’m a supporter of Brooks but he looked like a deer in headlights today and some of his decisions put us on the back foot but he certainly wasn’t alone.
Adam Doueihi is a 8/10 player when on top form.
He is no messiah from what I have seen.
The forwards were winning the battle at the break and the Raiders were trying to out flank us to score. That was my positive.
Ill discipline negated that work straight after the break the pigs gassed out and Canberra marched up the guts for a comfortable win. It’s a simple blueprint to beat this squad.

Wizardman

First Grade
I do have high hopes that our pack will be a better product at round 26 than now. I just cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel for our hooker and halves. They have nothing sadly and will have nothing come round 26.

phenisha

Juniors
For mine the only 2 positives are our fullback puzzle seems solved. In the first half there was improvement in forwards and edge, and as stryker said Raiders were trying to go around. So that is good. Just the same negatives as previous years.

WA Tiger

Bench
We need a hooker as well.
I think we have one just his name isn’t fairytale Liddle..I still think Talau will get that wing spot Once again nothing from AJ..

Reporter :- Why did you put Mbye at 6
Madge :- I don’t choose the team
Reporter :- Bullshit You don’t recruit the team, and I’m afraid you finding a spot for Mbye regardless has your signature all over it
Madge :- Ok ok I’m well he’s an older bloke who the guys feel safe around ...
Reporter AND?
Madge :- He’s played 6 before
Reporter :- Yea but that was when players could punch players. Fk Madge
Madge: Sorry I won’t do it again
Reporter:- Fk off u won’t

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
For mine the only 2 positives are our fullback puzzle seems solved. In the first half there was improvement in forwards and edge, and as stryker said Raiders were trying to go around. So that is good. Just the same negatives as previous years.

I think our starting forwards are fine aswell, noticeable drop in intensity when Packer and Mikaele came on though.