What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 1: Canberra v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WA Tiger

Bench
Talau made mistakes but I still thought he had some nice touches. Kepaoa can play. The only issue I see with him is catching the footy off bombs but Talau missed one the other night.
Soon find out I suppose...There needs to be selection decisions that are spot on and changed if necessary immediately..This did not happen last year...

It will be a tough gig first up ,but looking forward to the team gelling as the season goes on and gaining momentum towards the back end of the season to hopefully make the 8.

A 1st Rd win ?

Just to raise the confidence levels a small bit. Last time the Tigers lost in Rd 1 was 2014 v St George.

From 2015 on, the wins have been against, Gold Coast, Warriors, Souths, Chooks, Manly & St George.

A warmer, fuzzy feeling can be had from the fact that in 2020 it was 2 wins from 1st 3.
2019, 3 from 3,
2018, 2 from 2 and that was the Chooks followed by the Storm.

I had no idea their starts were that good, or is it a simple fact that I remember the finishes to the season more, as they are so much more disappointing ?

Blackwhitegold

Juniors
A 1st Rd win ?

Just to raise the confidence levels a small bit. Last time the Tigers lost in Rd 1 was 2014 v St George.

From 2015 on, the wins have been against, Gold Coast, Warriors, Souths, Chooks, Manly & St George.

A warmer, fuzzy feeling can be had from the fact that in 2020 it was 2 wins from 1st 3.
2019, 3 from 3,

I had no idea their starts were that good, or is it a simple fact that I remember the finishes to the season more, as they are so much more disappointing ?
That just shows it’s not how you start the season it’s how you Finnish. From about round five that’s when it starts getting serious. Losing 3 or 4 out of the first 5 games I wouldn’t be worried but that has to be the only losing streak for the year to make the 8.

Vozzy

Juniors
I think if Jarrod Croker doesn't play we are a real chance. I think they won't turn 4 into 6 as much. I can see us winning 22-20.

That just shows it’s not how you start the season it’s how you Finnish. From about round five that’s when it starts getting serious. Losing 3 or 4 out of the first 5 games I wouldn’t be worried but that has to be the only losing streak for the year to make the 8.
100% Blackwhitegold. Many a supporter get carried away at the end of March or mid April by how well their team are going. Long suffering Tiger supporters just wish to win 3 on the trot after winning. 2020 was the last time the Tigers played in September. I want to see them play in September for real though.

a win in Rd 1 would be a great start.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Mbye being out round 1 wouldn’t really concern me

the problem now is Madden could possibly debut against a scary Canberra pack. Or do you put Talau there to just lay a platform for Brooks and tell him to tackle his rig out. I think Doueihi being out hurts us big time but lucky it’s only 1 game

Trollhammaren

Juniors
A 1st Rd win ?

2019, 3 from 3,

If the season wrapped up in April every year we would never finish outside the Top 8.

Fordy20

Juniors

the problem now is Madden could possibly debut against a scary Canberra pack. Or do you put Talau there to just lay a platform for Brooks and tell him to tackle his rig out. I think Doueihi being out hurts us big time but lucky it’s only 1 game

I like the idea of Talau at 6. He seems to read the game pretty well and has a handy passing game. He also seems to have the ability to find the try line without having a lot of pace. Playing him at five-eighth for the one match would give Madden more time at halfback in the lower grades as Brooks' understudy, but I do wonder if playing Talau in first grade in all these different positions is ruining his ability to lock one down.

I don't think he has the pace or the ability in the air for a winger and while his footwork and ball playing ability might make him a decent running five-eighth, we already have a lot more depth in that position. If he can get his defence right, his skills would make him an ideal centre, so I'd really like to see him string some games together there in the lower grades to work on his defensive positioning and decision making so he can slot straight in whenever Leilua or Roberts are injured or do something dumb.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I like the idea of Talau at 6. He seems to read the game pretty well and has a handy passing game. He also seems to have the ability to find the try line without having a lot of pace. Playing him at five-eighth for the one match would give Madden more time at halfback in the lower grades as Brooks' understudy, but I do wonder if playing Talau in first grade in all these different positions is ruining his ability to lock one down.

I don't think he has the pace or the ability in the air for a winger and while his footwork and ball playing ability might make him a decent running five-eighth, we already have a lot more depth in that position. If he can get his defence right, his skills would make him an ideal centre, so I'd really like to see him string some games together there in the lower grades to work on his defensive positioning and decision making so he can slot straight in whenever Leilua or Roberts are injured or do something dumb.

Also worth noting he played Australian schoolboys in the #6 jersey. It’s not an attack on maddens ability, I just think with Talau having just under a years NRL experience it might be a little less gamble than putting the blow torch on Madden first up. I’d like to see him at least play half a season in reserves first before we start blooding him in.

Talau is already 1st in line to replace Roberts or BJ should they do something dumb (let’s be honest it might not take long) and I see him as our future long term centre aswell. I think our 2 centre’s this year are stop gap at best, although 2 very handy stop gap centre’s when they’re on song

Tiger05

First Grade

Mbye has gone from a critical player for us to a back-up or potentially really good bench utility player.

I'm worried about Madden against the Raiders but I think that is what Madge will run with.