What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 1: Canberra v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JB04

Juniors
f**k, why would you play MDud for only a few weeks then put Madden in. Pick someone good (Madden or AD) and stick with it.
Play Madden who hasn’t played in over a year and yet to play at NRL level against the Dally M five eighth in Wighton and his massive Canberra pack??

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon it's the best spine we have. AD to come back in and someone drops out.

Let's see who gets picked first though.

Tiger05

First Grade
Play Madden who hasn’t played in over a year and yet to play at NRL level against the Dally M five eighth in Wighton and his massive Canberra pack??

I wouldn't play Madden. I reckon against the Canberra pack and a player like Wighton Mbye is a better option than Madden. Wighton could kill us anyway.

Tiger05

First Grade
Talau gets the bench spot.

1. Daine Laurie
2. David Nofoaluma
3. James Roberts
4. Joseph Leilua
5. AJ Kepaoa
6. Moses Mbye
7. Luke Brooks
8. James Tamou (capt.)
9. Jacob Liddle
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Alex Twal

Interchange:
14. Tommy Talau
15. Thomas Mikaele
16. Stefano Utoikamanu
17. Russell Packer

Reserves:
18. Jock Madden
19. Michael Chee Kam
20. Tuki Simpkins
21. Alex Seyfarth

Tiger05

First Grade
I would have that starting team but Simpkin on the bench. 3 good middle forwards on the bench and a utility. I suppose the idea is AD comes in at 6 and Mbye drops to the bench utility role.

Tigerm

First Grade
I would have that starting team but Simpkin on the bench. 3 good middle forwards on the bench and a utility. I suppose the idea is AD comes in at 6 and Mbye drops to the bench utility role.

I think Mbye will be a very important member of the team throughout the season.
Pretty happy with that team, considering who we have out?
The backs have a fast feel about them for a change

Fordy20

Juniors
Agreed. With Kepaoa, Roberts and Laurie there, that backline looks like it has some speed in it. Apart from injury and suspension, that's the starting 13 I'd expect every week, once Doueihi pushes Mbye to the bench.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Hearing Talau will end up starting at #6 and Mbye back to the bench. I think the selection on the bench is purely smoke screens

ohh wow really? that would be huge

my guess is he'll basically just play as another runner with Brooks and Laurie running the show

if youre going to do a makeshift 5/8 it round 1 is the time, remeber we beat the warriors in round 1 2016 with Lawrence a last minute 5/8

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Talau gets the bench spot.

1. Daine Laurie
2. David Nofoaluma
3. James Roberts
4. Joseph Leilua
5. AJ Kepaoa
6. Moses Mbye
7. Luke Brooks
8. James Tamou (capt.)
9. Jacob Liddle
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Alex Twal

Interchange:
14. Tommy Talau
15. Thomas Mikaele
16. Stefano Utoikamanu
17. Russell Packer

Reserves:
18. Jock Madden
19. Michael Chee Kam
20. Tuki Simpkins
21. Alex Seyfarth

Huge pack and fast backs

Who is this team?

JB04

Juniors
No Croker is huge, he usually carves us up. Also supposed to be raining so that really will give us more of a chance, I’d imagine

Vozzy

Juniors
I like having only one hooker it shows that Liddle must be super fit this year and doesn't waste a bench spot. Talau/Mbye cover a lot of spots if there is an injury. Packer must be training the house down. He looked pumped on the weekend whenever we scored hopefully Tamou can turn him into a leader. I think having a tough start helps know where you're at. There is more of a chance of an upset early and if you lose you know areas to keep working on.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I like having only one hooker it shows that Liddle must be super fit this year and doesn't waste a bench spot. Talau/Mbye cover a lot of spots if there is an injury. Packer must be training the house down. He looked pumped on the weekend whenever we scored hopefully Tamou can turn him into a leader. I think having a tough start helps know where you're at. There is more of a chance of an upset early and if you lose you know areas to keep working on.
If we r ever going to get any return on the huge investment in Packer it’s the yr his contract expires.
I’m looking forward to seeing Talau at 5/8 assuming he starts in that position.

gordsy

Juniors

Mate I get it but you have to play against men at some stage.
It's my desire to see Madden kick on so we can piss off Mybe and use that money on depth.

Tiger05

First Grade
Mate I get it but you have to play against men at some stage.
It's my desire to see Madden kick on so we can piss off Mybe and use that money on depth.

I don't think you have to worry about Mbye going. We aren't going to keep him unless he somehow kills it this season in a massive way.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
ohh wow really? that would be huge

my guess is he'll basically just play as another runner with Brooks and Laurie running the show

if youre going to do a makeshift 5/8 it round 1 is the time, remeber we beat the warriors in round 1 2016 with Lawrence a last minute 5/8

Yeah I don’t think he’ll play an explosive role more so just let Brooks run the show and Talau can tip the ball off when needed. Let’s Mbye come off the bench to give Liddle a spell aswell

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
If we r ever going to get any return on the huge investment in Packer it’s the yr his contract expires.
I’m looking forward to seeing Talau at 5/8 assuming he starts in that position.

Even if Packer kills it this year there’s not a snowballs chance in hell I’d resign him given we know he dogs it shortly after extension time . But yes I’m expecting him to play well this year, in the trial he looked reenergised