What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sydney @ Sydney Cricket Ground

Who will win? Round 1: Sydney v Newcastle

• Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spot On

Coach
AOB is smart enough to bring the greatest player in history and let him coach his attack. He will have a long career making calls like this. Does anyone really think. Bellamy and Bennett do it all on their own? They are world class man managers.

Bellamy is a genius. Not only have his teams wrestled the life out of opposition, they have always moved the ball and played footy.

TooheysNew

Coach
AOB is smart enough to bring the greatest player in history and let him coach his attack. He will have a long career making calls like this. Does anyone really think. Bellamy and Bennett do it all on their own? They are world class man managers.
You really think that was AOB's decision?

Alex28

Coach
The only other thing I'll say is that we've had many, many false dawns... and everyone patting themselves on the back today should cast their mind back over the past 15-20 years of being a Knights fan before getting too excited. We were good today, but the Roosters were very bad too. Uncharacteristically poor from them.

It's something to build on though, and I just like seeing us with a little bit of enterprise in attack again. Joey is worth his weight in gold. Welcome home old boy.
Even when there is something to be happy about, this forum mopes…

Jono078

Referee
I personally don't think it was AOB's decision. I think the club made it clear last year there would be reviews and they'd bring in whoever necessary to help.

As it turns out Joey wanted to be back here and the time was right and can only assume he's had the positive influence we're seeing so far.

Rest of the year will determine AOB's future.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
I personally don't think it was AOB's decision. I think the club made it clear last year there would be reviews and they'd bring in whoever necessary to help.

As it turns out Joey wanted to be back here and the time was right and can only assume he's had the positive influence we're seeing so far.

Rest of the year will determine AOB's future.
I have noticed AOB employs assistant coaches that are less experienced than some of the other top coaches . A bit like Browny in that regard, the assistants arent taking his job any time soon.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Our biggest star out there today was Andrew Johns. That was really fun to watch, but not getting ahead of myself. Our plodders still have their plod moments and ruin a lot.

The coaches have done their job in the off season, though. We're moving and promoting the ball again. That Gagai/Young side could be very dangerous. Was very impressed with Young.

I wonder how Connor was feeling in the sheds.

Well he wanted to be challenged so I guess now he can’t complain.

perverse

Referee
Even when there is something to be happy about, this forum mopes…
In what way am I moping?

Not running around and jerking everyone else off because we beat an underperforming Roosters in round 1 is moping?

As I said, there's a lot to like about the win. I enjoyed watching it immensely! I've also been here before, 5 years running now in fact. I'm simply calibrating my expectations based on experience. Try reading all my posts, or even all of the one you quoted, before having a crack at me for no reason, yeah?

Old dog

Juniors
Think we are putting to much emphasis on Joey for the success, yes he may have instigated a change in attack but players have to accept and adapt to change. I would like more credit given to the players with obvious thanks to the coach and his staff/assistants.
For example I thought Clune outplayed Pearce from last season. Clifford was better for a season start and more control, these two things would not have happened with Pearce playing and Joey teaching, ego thing.
Someone said before I think “a team of champions will get beat by a champion team, we could have one in the making

Seage

Juniors
The only other thing I'll say is that we've had many, many false dawns... and everyone patting themselves on the back today should cast their mind back over the past 15-20 years of being a Knights fan before getting too excited. We were good today, but the Roosters were very bad too. Uncharacteristically poor from them.

It's something to build on though, and I just like seeing us with a little bit of enterprise in attack again. Joey is worth his weight in gold. Welcome home old boy.
I was thinking the same thing and what you say is completely accurate. But then I thought, 'f**k it', I've watched us get mauled time and again and bullied by the Roosters for god knows hom many years. I genuinely gave us 0% chance of beating them today, and the fact we did so well, I'm going to enjoy it. Who cares if the Roosters were uncharacteristically trash. Who cares if we'll undo all these good vibes with a turgid, listless display at home next week in an inexplicable loss to the Tigers.
For 7 days, let's act like gloating morons and rub the spoils of victory into those less fortunate teams.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I was thinking the same thing and what you say is completely accurate. But then I thought, 'f**k it', I've watched us get mauled time and again and bullied by the Roosters for god knows hom many years. I genuinely gave us 0% chance of beating them today, and the fact we did so well, I'm going to enjoy it. Who cares if the Roosters were uncharacteristically trash. Who cares if we'll undo all these good vibes with a turgid, listless display at home next week in an inexplicable loss to the Tigers.
For 7 days, let's act like gloating morons and rub the spoils of victory into those less fortunate teams.
Love this.

And not only for the use of the adjectives TURGID and LISTLESS.