What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 13 vs Raiders @ Bankwest Stadium

Who will win? Round 13: Wests Tigers v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pezz70

Juniors
We definitely aren't a top 4 team and the Raiders are.

I reckon we have something to work with though. Our outside backs are crap but our forwards are pretty good especially the younger guys like Aloiai, Twal and Mikaele. Liddle gives us some pace from dummy half but he needs a lot more game time. Our edge backrowers are good.

If we sign DWZ we get some pace and size in our outside backs.

The spine needs some changes. I like Brooks and Mbye in the halves with Thompson at 1 and Liddle at 9. At least that combo would have some speed.

I can’t accept Mbye at 5/8 in the NRL. Perhaps he can go play 5/8 in Canterbury Cup and see how he goes. If he carves them up for a couple of weeks then maybe give him another shot in the front line. There was a couple of little glimpses tonight from Mbye, but it’s just not enough to warrant him playing NRL. Mbye really staunches our attack he never seems to hit the ball at full tilt when he chimes in, you watch blokes like Slater, Tedesco, Gutherson (from the back) Ponga, Tom Trbo they all come into the line with far greater speed than Mbye.

Das Hassler

Bench
Stuart has a roster and salary cap structure that he's had the best part of a decade to mold...he'd WANT to have a complete side by now. Does Madge get the same chance to build HIS side?...hope so

Pezz70

Juniors
i
I don’t understand why our forwards don’t take hit ups?
its been a real trend for a couple of years now, I believe it’s coached, the forwards walk back after a kick, they rarely get back to the play in the first three or four tackles, every team does it and I think they’re coached to use that time to get their heart rates down, have a breather.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Our pack is crap. They are weak and small.
Not one member of our backline would play first grade currently if not for this club.
Piss poor effort after having 2 weeks to prepare against a club who have owned us for years. They did not have their strongest side and easily smashed ours.
Shameful.

If you have a smaller pack than average, you need them to quick & agile with offloads and passes between them as a unit - you hunt & defend as a pack - you don't try the one out hit ups all f**kin night.

The forwards need to be one unit, we just don't have the natural footballers within our smallish pack. Half of them wouldn't know how to pass the pigskin (or synthetic material that it is now).

Pezz70

Juniors
If you have a smaller pack than average, you need them to quick & agile with offloads and passes between them as a unit - you hunt & defend as a pack - you don't try the one out hit ups all f**kin night.

The forwards need to be one unit, we just don't have the natural footballers within our smallish pack. Half of them wouldn't know how to pass the pigskin (or synthetic material that it is now).

I agree somewhat. I think the key for our boys is to play fast and straight, they make a big deal about after contact metres these days but with our pack I’d much rather see them go to ground on their knees reasonably quickly. This would alleviate them getting tossed on their back all the time and losing the wrestle. Slow play the balls kill attack

Das Hassler

Bench
Have them watch the four 05 finals games over and over....smallest forwards in the comp working like a wolfpack

Tiger05

First Grade
Our pack is crap. They are weak and small.
Not one member of our backline would play first grade currently if not for this club.
Piss poor effort after having 2 weeks to prepare against a club who have owned us for years. They did not have their strongest side and easily smashed ours.
Shameful.

Our pack isn't crap at all. Twal, Aloiai & Mikaele are all quality middle forwards. Eisenhuth isn't bad. Our edge backrowers in Matterson, Lawrence and Chee-Kam are good.

Our outside backs are pretty ordinary.

Our spine is a mess because Robbie and Mbye aren't performing. Benji and Reynolds aren't great options at 6 and Brooks is pretty good but not great ala Andrew Johns. We need Brooks to be like Johns considering the players we have around him.

Tiger05

First Grade
That's coaching.. one out 2 meters from the ruck is ,has and will get you no where. We did not alter from.that shit all game

Exactly. We didn't threaten at all. I like Madge a lot but we didn't do offer much out there.

Tiger05

First Grade
I can’t accept Mbye at 5/8 in the NRL. Perhaps he can go play 5/8 in Canterbury Cup and see how he goes. If he carves them up for a couple of weeks then maybe give him another shot in the front line. There was a couple of little glimpses tonight from Mbye, but it’s just not enough to warrant him playing NRL. Mbye really staunches our attack he never seems to hit the ball at full tilt when he chimes in, you watch blokes like Slater, Tedesco, Gutherson (from the back) Ponga, Tom Trbo they all come into the line with far greater speed than Mbye.

What do you do with him ? He was pretty good last year. Is he just out of form ? He definitely has pace and the ability to put on a good play.

The reality is though that there is a fair chunk of the season gone and he has been given a lot of chances and he isn't doing enough.

What is his position ? To be honest I think Benji is our best 6 by far.

The unknown

Juniors
It's too late to persist with Mbye. If he hasn't got it by halfway through the season, when will he have "it?"

DWZ can't come soon enough. Thompson is good but I'm afraid will just never cut it at a high level in NRL, hence why Madge is probably hesitant in resigning. When can Bradley come in? we need a tall strong winger

We need a few mongrel props, they went missing again (apart from Aloiai and Mikaele)

I like Twal but he is more a workhorse prop. Not suggesting we get rid of him but he needs more support, cause he gets bashed easy

The Rosco

Bench
Sigh.
It's a nice stadium. I like how close you are to the decimation. Sorry, action.
Macnaz hit it on the head. Twice. All we do is make fkkn one out runs. 75m from their line, 6 m from their line. Same shit. We simply don't throw the ball around or vary our pattern.
The masochist in me says our "stock in trade defence" wasn't all that bad last night.
Yeah, I know . . . 0-28.
They scored 1 try from structured rugby league attack. The rest were from between 1-4 kicks and rebounds, and an intercept. Still, 0-28.
We just don't bother defences. Raiders had our measure comfortably all night. The only time we made them scramble with any urgency was in the last 6 minutes when we threw it around 15m out from their line. The other 70 minutes was one out, generally in any direction at all, and so fkkn predictable and easily defended.
We have zero creativity in the backline.
I thought Thompson tried his guts out as usual, but was exposed a few times positionally. I suppose this is what happens when you shuffle players about.
As a team, Canberra were simply bigger than us all over the park.
We need a couple of big angry motherfkkr pigs, 5/8, 2 tall fast centres. 2 tall fast wingers, and a tall fast fullback. That's it.
FFS, Give Gamble and Bradley a go. What's the worst that can happen ? . . they play shit and we get beat by 28 ?
How good to see Rowdy back !!! Didn't take Brooksy too long to start delivering those flat missiles at him.
Oh well, at least I'm going fishing. So the weekend isn't a total loss.
I just have to catch 29 fish to feel vindicated !
Edit: Just got back from fishing, I decided I'd take a leaf out of Canberra's book. I went for bream, but came home with a nice jewy around 90cm. Played what's in front of me, took my chances and came home happy !

Last edited:

magpie_man

Juniors
Sigh.
It's a nice stadium. I like how close you are to the decimation. Sorry, action.
Macnaz hit it on the head. Twice. All we do is make fkkn one out runs. 75m from their line, 6 m from their line. Same shit. We simply don't throw the ball around or vary our pattern.
The masochist in me says our "stock in trade defence" wasn't all that bad last night.
Yeah, I know . . . 0-28.
They scored 1 try from structured rugby league attack. The rest were from between 1-4 kicks and rebounds, and an intercept. Still, 0-28.
We just don't bother defences. Raiders had our measure comfortably all night. The only time we made them scramble with any urgency was in the last 6 minutes when we threw it around 15m out from their line. The other 70 minutes was one out, generally in any direction at all, and so fkkn predictable and easily defended.
We have zero creativity in the backline.
I thought Thompson tried his guts out as usual, but was exposed a few times positionally. I suppose this is what happens when you shuffle players about.
As a team, Canberra were simply bigger than us all over the park.
We need a couple of big angry motherfkkr pigs, 5/8, 2 tall fast centres. 2 tall fast wingers, and a tall fast fullback. That's it.
FFS, Give Gamble and Bradley a go. What's the worst that can happen ? . . they play shit and we get beat by 28 ?
How good to see Rowdy back !!! Didn't take Brooksy too long to start delivering those flat missiles at him.
Oh well, at least I'm going fishing. So the weekend isn't a total loss.
I just have to catch 29 fish to feel vindicated !

Good post Rosco, I was about to write something similar: 3 of their tries we're from flukey kicks/an intercept/unstructured play which is near impossible to defend. That said, they capitalise on their opportunities, we don't. Our attack is about as potent and palatable as XXXX Gold.
This was a game that I was really hoping/kinda expecting to win but it wasn't to be. Canberra are a gun team and Bateman is an absolute weapon.

That's coaching.. one out 2 meters from the ruck is ,has and will get you no where. We did not alter from.that shit all game
We haven’t altered from being one out all season and a slow backline doesn’t help if they do happen to spread it wide, it just shows that completion rates are a load of s*it when you do play one out for the entire game.

ash411

Bench
You want an “outside looking in” opinion? Well tough noogies you’re getting one anyway.

You have no identity. You play out of 15 grounds, with no real home of your own.

What you need to do is really embrace Campbelltown. I’m not saying you have to drop the Balmain part of the club (although I don’t think it would hurt one bit if you did), but you need your own homeland. You have an area in Campbelltown all to yourself, a good sized stadium there and room to grow.

Why you haven’t done that yet boggles the mind. I realise it’s not a magic bullet that will solve every problem you have, but it’s a start, and you have to start somewhere, right?

Before you say “look at your own club before you judge ours hurr durr” I’m well aware of the problems at Parra, and my post isn’t about my clubs better than yours or whatever, just offering an observation I have made.

Pezz70

Juniors
You want an “outside looking in” opinion? Well tough noogies you’re getting one anyway.

You have no identity. You play out of 15 grounds, with no real home of your own.

What you need to do is really embrace Campbelltown. I’m not saying you have to drop the Balmain part of the club (although I don’t think it would hurt one bit if you did), but you need your own homeland. You have an area in Campbelltown all to yourself, a good sized stadium there and room to grow.

Why you haven’t done that yet boggles the mind. I realise it’s not a magic bullet that will solve every problem you have, but it’s a start, and you have to start somewhere, right?

Before you say “look at your own club before you judge ours hurr durr” I’m well aware of the problems at Parra, and my post isn’t about my clubs better than yours or whatever, just offering an observation I have made.

The Campbelltown horse has bolted, they won’t pull crowds there while they’re losing anyway. Campbelltown now have an A-league team that will play all of their games out of Campbelltown. Missed opportunity??? I don’t know, Newtown, Parramatta, Magpies and Tigers have all thrown a bit of cash around town to no avail. The time to do it permanently was 2006.

The MacArthur/sth west Sydney Bulls have massive corporate backing and some smart heads pushing their barrow. They’ll be a force within a couple of years

Rugby League is quickly losing its place in south western Sydney, they’ll tell you the participation rate in Group 6 has increased. This is rubbish, the numbers are bolstered only through the establishment of the girls league tag. The number of young boys coming through has fallen away badly. Where clubs were fielding 2 or 3 teams in some age groups now they’re struggling. The last five years has been horrendous

Last edited:

The unknown

Juniors
Also I appreciate our media team trying to pump us up etc but until we are actually a force to be reckoned with I don't think it's a smart idea to label Bankwest as "Our Jungle"

We've copper a hiding in both games, it's starting to get embarrassing now

"Our Slaughter House" is more appropriate at this stage

The unknown

Juniors
The Campbelltown horse has bolted, they won’t pull crowds there while they’re losing anyway. Campbelltown now have an A-league team that will play all of their games out of Campbelltown. Missed opportunity??? I don’t know, Newtown, Parramatta, Magpies and Tigers have all thrown a bit of cash around town to no avail. The time to do it permanently was 2006.

The MacArthur/sth west Sydney Bulls have massive corporate backing and some smart heads pushing their barrow. They’ll be a force within a couple of years

Rugby League is quickly losing its place in south western Sydney, they’ll tell you the participation rate in Group 6 has increased. This is rubbish, the numbers are bolstered only through the establishment of the girls league tag. The number of young boys coming through has fallen away badly. Where clubs were fielding 2 or 3 teams in some age groups now they’re struggling. The last five years has been horrendous

Good post. We should have capitalised on Campbelltown after our success in 05, unfortunately it feels like we are losing touch with the place altogether

Latest posts