What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 16 vs Panthers @ Panthers Stadium

Who will win? Round 16: Panthers v Wests Tigers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pezz70

Juniors
QUOTE="Kilkenny, post: 14310020, member: 8835"]I would suggest to you Luke Brooks would look pretty decent playing behind our forward pack and bench. You just don’t have the quality, I’m not trying to be a smartie or harsh, but put swap Cleary & Brooks and you may just be carving up Cleary.[/QUOTE]

Brooks had the creativity bashed out of him early in his career. It’s actually a blight on the NRL that the under 23’s no longer exists. Too many blokes are being pushed forward into the NRL on big money, with massive expectations before they’re ready. The very exceptional ones can handle it, a lot of potentially good players can’t, too many young players are
cooked before their time. I’m really starting to think that no player should debut in the NRL until they’re at least 21 and that contracts under the age of 23 should be capped to $150 000 with no 3rd party agreements allowed. Players who progress through a junior club should receive a 25% Discount on the cap and a player who plays NRL for 5 years at a club should have a 50% dispensation.

Clubs and player managers have a lot to answer for, the clubs for allowing managers to dictate terms and the player managers just for being arseholes, they use the fact that they’re getting these kids big deals as evidence that they are doing what’s best for the kids but really they don’t give a shit. I know these boys only have a limited
Time to
Make money out of rugby league, but by putting them on unrealistic contracts you put unrealistic expectations on them and cruel their careers. Blokes like Brooks, Ash Taylor, Todd Carney
Would have been way better off running around in a 23’s comp for a few years before hitting the big time. There’s be plenty of others in that boat too.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
There is a reason one is a rep player and the other is not. Cleary just needs to be careful he doesn't get unsettled after being roughed up. Melbourne and Roosters ahead and they will use every dirty trick in the book.

I understand what you are saying but the fact is Nathan Cleary played in a side that made the semi finals 2016-2018 and while last season wasn’t great for us he was the incumbent so got picked again. He will get picked again for the Blues this season assuming he stays injury free. In defence of Luke Brooks he hasn’t enjoyed such a luxury of playing with a better overall team or squad. I simply make the point if he was our halfback and Nathan Cleary was yours well I suggest Cleary would not be playing SOO and that is because he probably would look much lesser of a player than he does now.

Kilkenny

Coach
Benji and brooks got hit every kick they took, Cleary kicked without pressure. Even so, Brooks had a terrible kicking game. The Panthers rushes up and shut down the Tigers, the Tigers sat back and waited for the offense to come to them for most of the match, same thing happened against the Warriors.

It’s interesting how fans of the two sides see things so differently.

I was at the game. You guys were in actual fact up in our faces almost all game from the first minute until the penalty try when it was game over and it was impossible for you to maintain the intensity any longer.

We were really clunky in attack, because of the fact you were really committed and got up in our faces for the most part.

Our defence was excellent, our line speed, got numbers in tackles and we strangled the life out of your attack but that is on the back of 10 consecutive victories and the confidence that brings.

As i say on your other forum there are suggestions from some fans you guys were awful and I didn’t See that, I saw a side (of inferior quality) who had a real dig and while you didnt get the result you craved it was not a result of lack of effort.

WA Tiger

Bench
I would suggest to you Luke Brooks would look pretty decent playing behind our forward pack and bench. You just don’t have the quality, I’m not trying to be a smartie or harsh, but put swap Cleary & Brooks and you may just be carving up Cleary.
Your credibility just took a hit

Phil Gould

Juniors
It’s interesting how fans of the two sides see things so differently.

I was at the game. You guys were in actual fact up in our faces almost all game from the first minute until the penalty try when it was game over and it was impossible for you to maintain the intensity any longer.

We were really clunky in attack, because of the fact you were really committed and got up in our faces for the most part.

Our defence was excellent, our line speed, got numbers in tackles and we strangled the life out of your attack but that is on the back of 10 consecutive victories and the confidence that brings.

As i say on your other forum there are suggestions from some fans you guys were awful and I didn’t See that, I saw a side (of inferior quality) who had a real dig and while you didnt get the result you craved it was not a result of lack of effort.
It is interesting to hear what you’re saying. The focus is in too tight to see much more than the ruck, on TV, but it looked like the first receiver was constantly being swamped by a charging panthers defense. The Tigers Defense did pick up in the second half, until the penalty try, then the wheels fell off. I didn’t see pressure on the Penrith kick receivers very often either, whereas the Tigers seemed to be under pressure more often than not.

I thought M’bye was actually pretty good, for a change. AD made a couple of big mistakes but the dropped kick was understandable. The pass was a shocker but I don’t think he’ll do that again any time soon. The sin bin was questionable as it looked like his foot was still on the line when the ball was played. He defused some tricky bombs and made a try saving tackle though, it’s not all bad but rather a mixed report card for him, I feel.

Tigerm

First Grade
In the press conference I believe Madge with the season gone is lookIng towards trialling players in different positions to gage there suitability
I would suspect if you do not get a run in the next 4 weeks, your time here is maybe at an end.

Tigerm

First Grade
It is interesting to hear what you’re saying. The focus is in too tight to see much more than the ruck, on TV, but it looked like the first receiver was constantly being swamped by a charging panthers defense. The Tigers Defense did pick up in the second half, until the penalty try, then the wheels fell off. I didn’t see pressure on the Penrith kick receivers very often either, whereas the Tigers seemed to be under pressure more often than not.

I thought M’bye was actually pretty good, for a change. AD made a couple of big mistakes but the dropped kick was understandable. The pass was a shocker but I don’t think he’ll do that again any time soon. The sin bin was questionable as it looked like his foot was still on the line when the ball was played. He defused some tricky bombs and made a try saving tackle though, it’s not all bad but rather a mixed report card for him, I feel.
Nofo caught some great bombs, under pressure. His game is changing for the better.

Vozzy

Juniors
I actually thought Mbye was going ok at fullback I know we have played him there before but he was following the ruck. I find the tigers more frustrating then anything. Like the players who play poor are the same ones who come up with something randomly good.

Benji is a good example for 80% of his touches he is throwing up poor passes or missing tackles or a bad kick. The other 20% he is laying on tries where no one else seems capable.

Same with Talau he has some bad handling but when one on one with T,oo he beat him with footwork where he had no right to that try could have been something brilliant.

Douhie especially he was really safe and playing well and with passion then out of nowhere he comes up with 1 error and he is then done for the night and it becomes a habit.

I actually don't think it's an effort it's just poor execution of things and down on confidence which is why we need a forward that's a true leader a centre that loves early ball and a half back that is in control.

stryker

First Grade
QUOTE="Kilkenny, post: 14310020, member: 8835"]I would suggest to you Luke Brooks would look pretty decent playing behind our forward pack and bench. You just don’t have the quality, I’m not trying to be a smartie or harsh, but put swap Cleary & Brooks and you may just be carving up Cleary.

Brooks had the creativity bashed out of him early in his career. It’s actually a blight on the NRL that the under 23’s no longer exists. Too many blokes are being pushed forward into the NRL on big money, with massive expectations before they’re ready. The very exceptional ones can handle it, a lot of potentially good players can’t, too many young players are
cooked before their time. I’m really starting to think that no player should debut in the NRL until they’re at least 21 and that contracts under the age of 23 should be capped to $150 000 with no 3rd party agreements allowed. Players who progress through a junior club should receive a 25% Discount on the cap and a player who plays NRL for 5 years at a club should have a 50% dispensation.

Clubs and player managers have a lot to answer for, the clubs for allowing managers to dictate terms and the player managers just for being arseholes, they use the fact that they’re getting these kids big deals as evidence that they are doing what’s best for the kids but really they don’t give a shit. I know these boys only have a limited
Time to
Make money out of rugby league, but by putting them on unrealistic contracts you put unrealistic expectations on them and cruel their careers. Blokes like Brooks, Ash Taylor, Todd Carney
Would have been way better off running around in a 23’s comp for a few years before hitting the big time. There’s be plenty of others in that boat too.[/QUOTE]
Understand where you are coming from but this is the “me” generation. The game will lose them to overseas comps or rugby.

The Rosco

Bench
Tigers need to sack Maguire and bring in Mary or siebs

@The Rosco 3 final series in 20 years must be pretty depressing
Firstly, I'm glad that you're Ok rhyno. After that obliteration of your choking team the other night, I was genuinely worried about your state of mind.
I thought Mitch and Matto stepped up when the pressure was on.
Like, really stepped up.
Yes, 3 finals series in 20 years is depressing.
But nowhere near as depressing as zero premierships in 30+ years. Or nowhere near as depressing as multiple wooden spoons in the past 20 years, either.
Nowhere near.

Pezz70

Juniors
I would suggest to you Luke Brooks would look pretty decent playing behind our forward pack and bench. You just don’t have the quality, I’m not trying to be a smartie or harsh, but put swap Cleary & Brooks and you may just be carving up Cleary.

Time to
Would have been way better off running around in a 23’s comp for a few years before hitting the big time. There’s be plenty of others in that boat too.
Understand where you are coming from but this is the “me” generation. The game will lose them to overseas comps or rugby.[/QUOTE]

You would lose some, but the depth would be better developed more rounded. You’ll always get the ‘natural’ pretty much regardless of what you expose them too, but the best way to success and improvement for those a rung below is through education and experience - gradual exposure and development of skills, we are forever throwing kids in the deep end in the NRL

The current Panthers team is testament, they have a couple
Of very experienced heads with 11 or so players that have come up together through the ranks, a couple of talents that really stood out and handled the step up early, and a real core who have developed and learnt the game together. They’re a real team and I think if the kids don’t get greedy and stick together we’ll see a side that can win a couple of premierships

One very interesting stat about the panthers is that 9 of the 17 have less than 50 NRL appearances, 11 have less than 100, 6 of the nine mentioned have less than 35. Its a pretty inexperienced team for a team of contenders. Only two in the side have hit 30 the rest are 23 to 25 years old with To’o the youngest at 22.

Last edited:
He is the worst fullback in world rugby league.
Honestly, complete dud. I want him cut from the club full stop.

A bit harsh, but he’s really struggling. Mistakes in key areas.

He goes to the bin and we found some honesty, he comes back and we get the shudders.

I don’t think anyone’s read me carving up the officials ever, but they were woeful last night, almost as bad as we were.