What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 17 vs Bulldogs @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 17: Knights v Bulldogs

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seage

Juniors
I've just watched the game from overseas. Horrific on so many levels as others have said.

It seemed to me we got stuck when shifting the ball wide. The plan is to get it from Lino or Pearce to the centres, but it would end up with Sione or Buhrer, who don't have the ball skills and the play would get shut down.
Get it from the halves to the centre direct - at pace.

Apey

Staff member
I've just watched the game from overseas. Horrific on so many levels as others have said.

It seemed to me we got stuck when shifting the ball wide. The plan is to get it from Lino or Pearce to the centres, but it would end up with Sione or Buhrer, who don't have the ball skills and the play would get shut down.
Get it from the halves to the centre direct - at pace.
Ramien isn't running onto the ball nearly enough for my liking. Lino wasn't exactly giving him great service either.

Apey

Staff member
Also I just saw the binning. As much as I think Gavet is a lazy ill-disciplined plodder, that was an absolute joke. That will happen another 5 times this weekend without a binning.

Yosh

Coach
Disappointment, frustration but still optimistic. We were clearly the better team but didn't play well. Need to get those kind of games our of system. Can't afford to gift 2 points like that. Need to learn to grind out a season like the Storm have been doing the past decade. Grind grind grind.

I have been a fan of Gavet for most part of the season but perhaps it is time he goes. JSaifiti is definitely already the better player and even King has offered decent performances off the bench minus the brain explosions. Not blaming Gavet solely for the loss but his stupidity was a major blow. Seems like he is one of those players who the refs are targeting now. Better for us to have him playing reserves.

Needed to take the two points early. Being 6 ahead and 8 ahead is a big difference psychologically. In a do or die game we cam go for the cocky play but in a regular season game we need to GRIND out wins. A win by 2 points or a win by 6 still means 2 competition points for us. Bad call from Brown there. Bellamy would have taken the 2 100% there.

So we have Ramien who is class but still not using him effectively. Hopate, Montoya and even Moga offered more attacking threat. Ramien is damaging but not threatening. Centres need to be threatening.... Is it a team structure thing or just a Ramien thing?

I thought Moga was okay. Still prefer Hunt at centre but perhaps Moga can play on the wing till Lee comes back?

Lino did not play well. Seemed to lack the time to make any plays. Definitely a better player when Pearce isn't in the side.

I thought Watson was fantastic. He is the perfect 14. Energetic and can cover almost any position apart from prop forward.

Still can't believe we lost that game. Sione was also really good I thought. Jamie was okay but offered nothing in attack... Gonna watch the replay during the week just to torture myself again.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Needed to take the two points early.

Still can't believe we lost that game. Sione was also really good I thought. Jamie was okay but offered nothing in attack... Gonna watch the replay during the week just to torture myself again.
We went away from what won us games earlier this year. Even against teams we were up by 12 points on, we took the penalty goals. Taking the penalty goals add up, and encourages the opposition not to do it again next time which gives us the advantage attacking the line.
A commentator even said after half time, our half time address said not to take them lightly as they have shown up to play. We should’ve had that attitude from minute 1. You can’t take anyone lightly in this comp or you will lose.

Really missed Fitzy and Barnett. Had no real attacking threats on the edges and Buhrer was caught out defensively a few times, just doesn’t have the speed to keep up.

We went away from what won us games earlier this year. Even against teams we were up by 12 points on, we took the penalty goals.
I totally agree.
While some have said "why did we take the goal?" in other games it had worked for us.
Not taking the goal and then not getting more points was a turning point. I could see them grow in confidence and it was inevitable that they'd score.

Knight Vision

First Grade
While some have said "why did we take the goal?" in other games it had worked for us.
Taking the kick is a must on almost every occasion. Every Premier in the last few years has been in the top 4 most penalized within their own 40- it's a tactic. Give away a penalty and back themselves to prevent a try.

Zoidberg

First Grade
So, just saw a similar hit in the Storm v Sharks game to Gavet’s last night, hit was even put on report....no sin bin :rage:

Frederick

Staff member
It'd be worth pleading not guilty then taking all this evidence to the judiciary. Gavet would be found guilty and suspended for one game, but it'd get loads of media attention surrounding the inconsistencies in the refereeing ranks

Latest posts