What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs Canterbury @ Accor Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park / Wanngal

Who will win? Round 18: Canterbury v Newcastle

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nuke

Staff member
Wow. Before the game, I genuinely wouldn't have been surprised if a) Bulldogs won by 20, b) Knights just won, or c) Knights won by 20.
I missed the first few minutes, turning it on just as we hit 10-nil KTC. Then it just got bigger and better until halftime, in which I expected the cruise button to be pushed and we win maybe 36-22 or something like that.
Then the game, and score, progressed. Wow.

I mean, it's not like Canterbury put up any kind of fight, and showed comical levels of crapness, but that team of Knights players should realistically never be breaking club records for biggest wins compared to the teams we've had many a year ago in the past. Good on them, though. It was nice to be able to wear my Knights jumper in the local shopping centre here in Perth after fulltime and share a knowing smile with a fella in a Nth Qld jersey after their 74 point win last night.
I've had experiences wearing my jersey after a shit loss and walked past a supporter of the team who'd just beaten us and got the 'Better luck next time' kinda comment, to which I've had to smile and laugh and pretend I didn't want to smack the bloke in the head.

This is a much better feeling.

Up the Knights!

Nuke

Staff member
PS: Those two denied tries should deadset have been given. 78-nil sounds even better..!
But being what it is, with all the upside-downness of today's game (100% conversion rate, team putting the foot to the throat and not relaxing in the 2nd half, ect), at least there was one constant. Best's no try means at least once he was over the tryline and didn't score..! His three awarded tries, however, more than makes up for that. Good on him.

Apey

Staff member
11/11 conversions. Which is kind of funny because he looked like missing a couple with how much curl he had on them.

Woody90

Juniors
11/11 conversions. Which is kind of funny because he looked like missing a couple with how much curl he had on them.

Makes you wonder why we persisted with Miller and Hastings for so long when apparently Ponga’s a fairly competent goal kicker.

aqua_duck

Coach
Just watched another replay of the game with 100% focus and thought Jack Hethrington was superb for us off the bench. AOB needs to find the best way to utilise him because he can be a real potential X factor as he offers something abit different to the rest of the forwards with his foot speed especially off the mark and his offload.

perverse

Referee
Just watched another replay of the game with 100% focus and thought Jack Hethrington was superb for us off the bench. AOB needs to find the best way to utilise him because he can be a real potential X factor as he offers something abit different to the rest of the forwards with his foot speed especially off the mark and his offload.
He was good, but I'm wary of rating anyones performance on the Dogs game. He's been absolutely awful the rest of the year. Until these guys start having this sort of spark against a real defensive line, i'm skeptical. Realistically we have to wait until round 21 for a real test. The bye and the tigers aren't going to tell us how we're going.

It's nice to know he's still got a bit of footy him him though. I honestly thought he was a spent force. May still be.