What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs Raiders @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 18: Raiders v Wests Tigers

• Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
You make a great point with Cam Smith. On the night of his 400th, so many players were saying 'with Cam on your team you think youre never going to lose, just having him there gives you confidence."

Another point

I regularly heard during his 400th ‘Bellamy tells him to take some time off and miss training sessions but he refuses, is always first to get there and last to leave’

I also remember

‘Robbie has been given some time off during the middle of the year to go to Spain to watch Liverpool play a game of soccer’

Mario chalmers

Juniors
We aren’t exactly going to broadcast our long term plans.

Club planning is usually 2 or 3 years ahead and given the average nrl career is only a few years, the side that runs out in round 1 in 2021 won’t bear too much resemblance to what we have now.

I am sure the axe is ready to fall on a number of our players. Madge is ruthless and he believes in strength across a squad.

At the moment he’s still trying to make ivan’s team work and we have $3m+ smoking weed in Reggie’s.

Most fans and commentators, we are kept in the dark, except for the odd self serving club nonsense or slip up.

It was always going to be a troubled year.

He talked tonight about young players pushing. If we lose another game, we will be blooding.
I hope you are right but a number of the battlers are on big money contracts that don't expire for a few years yet. We can't move them on without cap consequences.

Its a laugh to think that we still have McQueen under contract for next year. How the hell did JT get away with signing him? Beyond bad.

Front-Rower

First Grade
He sounded pretty pissed. If we don't blow the Knights away for Farah's 300th, I reckon there will be wholesale changes and all this talk of Marshall and Farah playing on will be shelved. The next few weeks will decide whether they walk out on to Leichhardt Oval against the Sharks wearing jerseys or wearing suits.

Not only did he sound pissed off he looks like he’s aged about 10 years with the grey hair and beard. I feel for the guys well being

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/37b6c6d3854bec7c7cb7157220a93672

‘Look in the mirror’: Michael Maguire furious at Tigers ‘soft’ defence against Raiders

Tigers coach Michael Maguire was furious at his charges for some poor defence in their 20-12 loss to the Raiders at GIO Stadium.

The Tigers let in two soft early tries against the Raiders and despite a spirited second half Maguire was less than impressed with his side’s performance.

“We have got to be a lot harder as a team simple as that,” Maguire said in his post match press conference.

“I thought our defence at the start of the game was poor and we have been talking about patches over the last couple of months and that seems to be a recurring theme.

“I’m pretty annoyed with having to be in that situation. We shouldn’t be in that situation and if we are going to change the club and playing group we need to harden up as a group.

“I thought there was a couple of soft tries at the start and I don’t usually talk about the team externally, but I’m really annoyed and disappointed with where we are at this moment.”

The Tigers won the second half after being down 20-6, but the fact that his side were impressive in parts provided Maguire with little solace.

“There are moments in that game where we were strong and then we lapse and that just comes back to the characters we have at the club at the moment,” Maguire said.

“We have to look in the mirror and find it. I’ve come to the club to change it and I want to see the change.

“We have got a bit of a habit where we just give games away and it is not acceptable. We all need to make the change.

“I need to make sure everyone is accountable and we need to be more consistent if we are going to make the change.”

WA Tiger

Bench
Madge can look as angry as he likes after the game ...the change he was talking about wasn’t about changing the team...and that’s on him ..I’m not talking about wholesale changes just tweaks would have been enough.to motivate and fix but he just hasn’t done anything there...plus it’s taken 17 weeks to get rid of Jennings and change a kicker in Marsters who has lost us games ...some players did play well but not enough of them.. to let those easy tries in at the start shows their is no urgency or willingness to go above and beyond..Madge may not have what it takes

Front-Rower

First Grade
Madge may not have what it takes

Maybe and I’ve been one that’s been skeptical about him due to his success coming at big, rich clubs with lots of influential people.

However, we need to fully understand what is going on we need to know who is pulling the strings at Wests Tigers?

In the last 12 months Benji was the one who supposedly convinced Ivan to bring back Farah and it’s Benji who is reportedly the reason J Reynolds is being forced out.

Last night we saw Liddle get frustrated at Farah for literally pushing him out of dummy half, even though he got there first on occasion. Liddle isn’t signed for next year and we don’t really have another option at this stage hmmm

As mentioned above, Farah was also granted leave to travel half way around the world, mid way through the season, to attend a Liverpool CL final.

But we will get the usual suspects come along telling us that it’s everyone else’s fault from the ball boy to the mascot

Madge can look as angry as he likes after the game ...the change he was talking about wasn’t about changing the team...and that’s on him ..I’m not talking about wholesale changes just tweaks would have been enough.to motivate and fix but he just hasn’t done anything there...plus it’s taken 17 weeks to get rid of Jennings and change a kicker in Marsters who has lost us games ...some players did play well but not enough of them.. to let those easy tries in at the start shows their is no urgency or willingness to go above and beyond..Madge may not have what it takes
I have thought this a few times, I think he’s a sentimental old fool and because of that Farah will be there next week. OK, give him that one game and then seeya. If come late Tuesday afternoon we see the same 19 listed followed later in the week by the sale old 17, it will show that:
i he his not only sentimental but also a fool who has,
ii no faith in anyone coming throw the reserves and
iii 2020 could be just as bad for us.

WA Tiger

Bench
From my limited knowledge on forward play I’m seeing a reject in ET showing up the rest of them...The Huth and Twal going hard Garner having an impact. Brooks kicking too hard on the last tackle kick ...I mean if u practice those how is it even possible...Benji telegraphing his last tackle kicks to get them blocked...I didn’t notice Marsters on the field AGAIN..Nofo “ the ghost” that’s in a good way scoring tries that don’t seem possible...and running at the line like he’s twice the size he is ..Garner Thompson Nofo they have all been out of the team...others should have joined them even for a short time..Maybe Madge could have played Reynolds off against Benji? Somehow ...Hes doing it with the two hookers ...You have to do what it takes Madge not what makes the team happy you have to keep them on edge ...keep them motivated ...Wake Up!

Last edited:
Farah is a disgrace and is has killed our season the past 8 weeks. The side we have needs speed out of dummy half. Keeping Farah there has been a massive blunder by Madge. He is selfish and slow.

Mbye should start at 9, with Liddle off the bench next week.

Talou right centre, MCK left centre. Marsters on the bench as a backrower.

Bradley left wing.
Selfish and slow, I actually think it’s frustration and slow.
Mybe at 9, yeah let’s strengthen a position by putting the 9 there that most agree we should have there. Oh wait, that’s not Mybe.
MCK left centre, why not put a centre there rather than a utility.
Marsters on as a backrower, why? When was the last time he came on as a backrower? I missed that game, how did it go?

From who’s available I’d have Clark in and no 2nd 9 on the bench. Talau in with Bradley outside him. No faith in others.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Further to my post above, the club have a role to play in all of this as well. They had every opportunity to say no but didn’t and why would they? Marketing dream. However, it’s noted the CEO supports J Reynolds being at the club. Maybe, reading between the lines, he has little influence on the board.

Tiger05

First Grade

He hasn't been perfect has he. Still we haven't had a coach who demotes players like Madge has in a while. I reckon he needs some time.

Tiger05

First Grade
But we will get the usual suspects come along telling us that it’s everyone else’s fault from the ball boy to the mascot

I don't think it's not so black and white. Do you really think Benji and Robbie are our main problems. Robbie has been really poor in patches throughout the season. He has had some good moments as well. I think Benji has been great. He came up with I think one poor option last night but overall he has been good. They both aren't on big dollars.

I think it's pretty clear Robbie should be playing a lot less minutes or being in reserve grade. I think Benji and Brooks in the halves are doing pretty well and we have to stick with them. Mbye has been poor but he put in last night and he has looked better at centre. Our problem is having Reynolds, Packer, Matulino (to be fair he has played a bit this season) and McQueen all on good contracts and hardly ever playing for us. Lawrence has been injured and below average as well (this is understandable considering his injury and time back).

If we had 2 million being spent on 2 quality players we'd look a lot better. I think laying the blame on Benji and Robbie is laughable.

WA Tiger

Bench
Maybe and I’ve been one that’s been skeptical about him due to his success coming at big, rich clubs with lots of influential people.

However, we need to fully understand what is going on we need to know who is pulling the strings at Wests Tigers?

In the last 12 months Benji was the one who supposedly convinced Ivan to bring back Farah and it’s Benji who is reportedly the reason J Reynolds is being forced out.

Last night we saw Liddle get frustrated at Farah for literally pushing him out of dummy half, even though he got there first on occasion. Liddle isn’t signed for next year and we don’t really have another option at this stage hmmm

As mentioned above, Farah was also granted leave to travel half way around the world, mid way through the season, to attend a Liverpool CL final.

Reynolds wants to play first grade I figure that’s why he wants to leave ...That could have and still could be arranged ...somehow ..he wasn’t so bad at hooker. Yea Benji and Farrah...where’s Farrahs appreciation of that trip...he’s looking overweight.? He would have thrown a dummy or anything else instead of that stupid long pass in the past..Why did that pass even need to be that long ? Madge needs to meditate...get that scary look off his face...and then make decisions.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I don't think it's not so black and white. Do you really think Benji and Robbie are our main problems. Robbie has been really poor in patches throughout the season. He has had some good moments as well. I think Benji has been great. He came up with I think one poor option last night but overall he has been good. They both aren't on big dollars.

I think it's pretty clear Robbie should be playing a lot less minutes or being in reserve grade. I think Benji and Brooks in the halves are doing pretty well and we have to stick with them. Mbye has been poor but he put in last night and he has looked better at centre. Our problem is having Reynolds, Packer, Matulino (to be fair he has played a bit this season) and McQueen all on good contracts and hardly ever playing for us. Lawrence has been injured and below average as well (this is understandable considering his injury and time back).

If we had 2 million being spent on 2 quality players we'd look a lot better. I think laying the blame on Benji and Robbie is laughable.
It’s not Benji and Farrah it’s the whole team. To lose possession over and over at crucial times. IMO That’s a team thing. To let those try’s in is a team thing...To attack where the only thing I remember is Mbyes break that’s a team thing ...Madge put himself into this position where we can’t lose any more games ...now any changes made with no room to breath are going to be hit and hope ...One of the things I hate the most is when a player of a team losing being interviewed says ..”no no you can’t blame the coach he’s on the side line we are on the field” that’s rubbish...Granted we have a limited budget but the coaches job is to make the team better than the total of its parts ..Madge hasn’t done that

Tigerm

First Grade

Hasn't Josh played at 9 before?

Das Hassler

Bench
This could get close to 40 by halftime
From my limited knowledge on forward play I’m seeing a reject in ET showing up the rest of them.

Absolutely...E.T. has thrown every ounce of himself into it the chances he's had in first grade....he was great last night

The unknown

Juniors
I think the knights game will say a lot about how the club's run. Since our season is pretty much dead and buried I wouldn't be surprised if Farah is "injured" this week, Liddle plays the full 80 so Farah can play his 300th at Leichhardt

Front-Rower

First Grade
Do you really think Benji and Robbie are our main problems. Robbie has been really poor in patches throughout the season. He has had some good moments as well. I think Benji has been great. He came up with I think one poor option last night but overall he has been good. They both aren't on big dollars.

Do you think Farah and Marshall are the answers to our problems? That’s the question

magpie4ever

First Grade
I don't know what you guys believe, but seriously with the roster we have we are lucky to be 13th.

If Reynolds wasn't a cripple, he should be way ahead of Marshall but unfortunately his body is broken.

WA Tiger

Bench
“ ...However, it’s noted the CEO supports J Reynolds being at the club. Maybe, reading between the lines, he has little influence on the board ..... “ He’s massively respected No I think he’s just going with Madge because he has to trust him for now....... ....“.I think the knights game will say a lot about how the club's run. ...” You’d think there would have to be some crisis talks this week including the top brass ..I hope they’re fiery as hell. We arnt out of it unless we lose the knights game

Last edited:

Latest posts