What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra, Bruce / Ngunnawal

Who will win? Round 2: Canberra v Wests Tigers

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 2
Canberra Raiders v Wests Tigers
GIO Stadium Canberra, Bruce / Ngunnawal, Bruce (TICKETS)
Saturday 16 March 2024

NRL kickoff 3:00pm AEDT

Broadcast live on Fox League, Kayo Sports.

CANBERRA2024.png

To be announced

WESTSTIGERS2024.png

To be announced

A-REF-BW-2023TEAM.png

Referee: To be advised
Sideline Officials: To be advised
Video Referee: To be advised​

Das Hassler

Bench
I'll be surprised if we get close in this one...Raiders have a win and match fitness head start so won't be too bummed if we lose it so long as the attitude is right for the 80 mins....Raiders by 7

Tiger Ted

Bench
I'll be surprised if we get close in this one...Raiders have a win and match fitness head start so won't be too bummed if we lose it so long as the attitude is right for the 80 mins....Raiders by 7
I will b quite pleased if our attitude & intensity is right for the entire match & we only lose by 7.However I have a feeling we will get flogged.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yeah look I dont rate at us at all, and the Raiders were good V Newcastle, however I think we're a great chance here. Canberra are a team that love the under dog siege mentality, they always get up for it. When theyre expected to win they fumble, bumble and give the opposition plenty of chances.

1. Rapana
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
9. Levi

Is still a pretty shit spine.

The first week was very noticeable in that the team that completed and ran tackled/hard won. If we can just do the basics right you know Canberra will give us some chances to win.

Nutz

Bench
Yeah look I dont rate at us at all, and the Raiders were good V Newcastle, however I think we're a great chance here. Canberra are a team that love the under dog siege mentality, they always get up for it. When theyre expected to win they fumble, bumble and give the opposition plenty of chances.

1. Rapana
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
9. Levi

The first week was very noticeable in that the team that completed and ran tackled/hard won. If we can just do the basics right you know Canberra will give us some chances to win.
I agree.
Strange is cutting his teeth. He actually is a good little defender but I'd like to see our tall fwds like Stef and Seyfarth run full steam at him all day.
Strange is very short and often tackles around the legs. If our big boys go to their elbows early in the tackle and play the ball quickly he will be on the ground floundering.
Api needs to take advantage of these sort of things by playing heads up footy.
Strange did go off injured and if he can't play I would think Weekes would slot straight in. He's taller and more of an attacking player...I hope he doesn't play!

Nutz

Bench

1. Rapana
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
9. Levi

I doubt Levi will play, he got injured, probably because he's in my Fantasy Coach team... I'm the biggest jinx in sporting history.
I should do you all a favour and support Canberra this week :(

Tigerm

First Grade

Wests Tigers

The Wests Tigers are set to unearth young gun Lachlan Galvin this weekend, but it is understood that if he is selected, he will be entering from the interchange bench.

The departure of David Nofoaluma has also created a vacant spot on the wing that former Panther Charlie Staines is likely to fill.

Projected Round 2 Team: 1. Jahream Bula 2. Charlie Staines 3. Justin Olam 4. Starford To'a 5. Junior Tupou 6. Aidan Sezer 7. Jayden Sullivan 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. John Bateman 13. Alex Seyfarth 14. Lachlan Galvin 15. Alex Twal 16. Fonua Pole 17. Samuela Fainu
------------------
Don't know how good this information is, but it sounds much more sensible.
Though predicting Sezer at 6 is still a bit strange, we will see.

Nutz

Bench

Wests Tigers

The Wests Tigers are set to unearth young gun Lachlan Galvin this weekend, but it is understood that if he is selected, he will be entering from the interchange bench.

The departure of David Nofoaluma has also created a vacant spot on the wing that former Panther Charlie Staines is likely to fill.

Projected Round 2 Team: 1. Jahream Bula 2. Charlie Staines 3. Justin Olam 4. Starford To'a 5. Junior Tupou 6. Aidan Sezer 7. Jayden Sullivan 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. John Bateman 13. Alex Seyfarth 14. Lachlan Galvin 15. Alex Twal 16. Fonua Pole 17. Samuela Fainu
------------------
No way, Sezer is too slow, Lachlan Galvin shouldn't come in until he played a few games in KOE. He's a kid as far as being battle ready.
Did anyone see how Flannigan playing at ⅝ for the Dragons put energy into the backline by playing quick and forcing players like Lomax and co to play quicker as well. Up tempo footy is how top teams win. Coupled with dominant forwards... this is the recipe..
So because we don't have either we are resorting to desperate measures, so it seems.
Anyway, every year, year after year our roster has holes in it.
I hope I'm wrong and we start winning, even if it doesn't make sense.
Remember I'm a jinx so we'll win now.

Tigerm

First Grade

Wests Tigers

------------------

WTF knows. same mob, different story.
I guess we will know at 4.00 today?

Tigerm

First Grade
It's no wonder players don't want to sign with us.
An old coach I knew, always said, “there’s only 17 blokes who like you after the squad is named for the game”, that’s now gone to 18. Hahaha

Ned Kelly

Juniors
It's no wonder players don't want to sign with us.
I seem to have a different opinion to the majority regarding Galvin.

I think it would be a good move.

Sure I have only watched him in the school boy grand final (which he was best player by a mile) and one trial (where he handled 4 different positions) but in both games I watched him every time there was a wide shot.

He brings so much energy that I think it will effect the energy of the team as a whole. He appears to be mentally switched on the whole time. He flows from one side of the field to the other constantly looking to create an overlap or other opportunities. He makes good decisions on when to run, when to pass and from memory he is a pretty decent kicker. Don't remember seeing him kick goals but maybe he can to that too.

If I was team selector he would be in the starting line up first game.

Nutz

Bench

Sure I have only watched him in the school boy grand final (which he was best player by a mile) and one trial (where he handled 4 different positions) but in both games I watched him every time there was a wide shot.

He brings so much energy that I think it will effect the energy of the team as a whole. He appears to be mentally switched on the whole time. He flows from one side of the field to the other constantly looking to create an overlap or other opportunities. He makes good decisions on when to run, when to pass and from memory he is a pretty decent kicker. Don't remember seeing him kick goals but maybe he can to that too.

He even admitted he's underdone physically for the NRL.
From the games I've seen him play and from all other reports this guy is a gun. I'm just still confused over the fact that we have invested so heavily into our halves that we are faced with rushing this guy into first grade. I would have preferred him to play in lower grades then blood him in the second half of the year after his nads drop.
I'm really only talking by experience but the game is so much softer now to when I played it...players these days are somewhat a protected species.
So to this end Lachlan could very well go out there against a weakened Raiders' spine and nail it.
If he does play, I'm going to throw my whole support behind the lad, he may even help save my failing fantasy coach team:)

Hang on..,"Go The Raiders"

Tigerm

First Grade

Agree, just think he needs a bit more time against bigger bodies, but not in the NRL, you don’t want to ruin him before he starts.
Remembering, he has played well, but they were only trials, obviously these are not trials, he will be targeted.

But hopefully if he gets a start, he goes great.

Edit, well he’s in, at least they won’t know too much about him. Kick arse young fella.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Team List:

1. Jahream Bula - sponsored by Exclusive Estate Agents

2. Charlie Staines - sponsored by Gavmanak

3. Solomona Faataape - sponsored by Mater Dei on behalf of the Kirk Family

4. Starford To'a - sponsored by Ultra Building Works

5. Junior Tupou - sponsored by APN Compounding

6. Lachlan Galvin - sponsored by Leumeah Shopping Centre

7. Jayden Sullivan - sponsored by Club Menangle

8. David Klemmer - sponsored by ZWealth Group