What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Parramatta @ CommBank Stadium, Parramatta / Burramattagal

Who will win? Round 4: Parramatta v Wests Tigers

• Parramatta Eels 13+

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Parramatta Eels 1-12

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nutz

Bench
I remember watching footy when they had one ref and he did everything. Things like the bunker, video refs, in goal touchies etc. didn't exist. The man in the middle made every call. Now sometimes he f**ked up, and you were dirty, but lived with it as the rub of the green went your way another time when it probably shouldn't have. We didn't have 97 angles and 876 slow motion replays trying to see if the ref made any errors.

I know we often look back at things with rose coloured glass, but I much prefer that system.
This obsession with getting everything 100% right is just dumb and hasn't worked in any sport.
The nfl refs get it wrong even with instant replay, and I have seen the v.r f**k up in soccer. Now if sports where one teams salary cap would be uivalnt to half the comp in the nrl, why are we so arrogant to think we can do better?

Today, when Gutho used his captains' challenge, the bunker decided to put in a call that had nothing to do with the captains' challenge, this is such a stupid thing. If the ref misses it, then they miss it.
Some good points mate, shared by many.
I think it's very much a "damned if do and damned if you don't" scenario.
My preference is the video ref shouldn't be involved unless it's foul play because often the onfield ref and linesman are focused at the ruck/ball carrier that they often miss something really bad.
They should also view tries from all angles at normal pace and only make a ruling on situations that the onfield ref asks for clarification, like foot into touch, dropped ball, loose carry/strip/grounding.
As a side note, I'm wondering when the video refs came into being.....was it around the same time as gambling came into it eg sportsbet/tab etc.
In horse racing they have stewards, photo finishes and correct weight to deal with results and unfair play so as to allow gambling to be transparent and fair. Well that's the aim ;)

I remember watching footy when they had one ref and he did everything. Things like the bunker, video refs, in goal touchies etc. didn't exist. The man in the middle made every call. Now sometimes he f**ked up, and you were dirty, but lived with it as the rub of the green went your way another time when it probably shouldn't have. We didn't have 97 angles and 876 slow motion replays trying to see if the ref made any errors.

I know we often look back at things with rose coloured glass, but I much prefer that system.
This obsession with getting everything 100% right is just dumb and hasn't worked in any sport.
The nfl refs get it wrong even with instant replay, and I have seen the v.r f**k up in soccer. Now if sports where one teams salary cap would be uivalnt to half the comp in the nrl, why are we so arrogant to think we can do better?

Today, when Gutho used his captains' challenge, the bunker decided to put in a call that had nothing to do with the captains' challenge, this is such a stupid thing. If the ref misses it, then they miss it. We lived with this for decades before and the world didn't stop spinning. That type of roller coaster ride of emotions is what made the game a better product back then.

Now we stop for 2 hours and examine everything like we are in an episode of CSI, and miss that wave of emotion like that came from the roar of the crowd and the rush of excitement and joy when a try was instantly awarded or the disappointment and frustration when a try was denied.
Now we have a Franklins version of that because it takes five minutes to give a try and by then the moment is lost.

Anyway, rant over and well done to the team for another win. It was far from pretty or polished, but the effort is there and, as one of many long-suffering fans on here am so pleased to finally see it.

Long may it continue !
I have to vote against the panel here.

Id rather we get more decisions right than wrong which I think the tech helps with.

It’s not perfect and there are errors, but we should try to reduce as many as possible to level the playing field for both sides.

But everytime there is a successful captains challenge, it means the call was wrong and there’s too many of them. there’s no genuine justification for limiting them as they do. I’d be prepared to meet half way and provide each team with three per game on a no fault basis.

Id like us to move to four-quarters instead of halves to help the players manage physically and continue to focus on reducing injuries of all kinds.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Id rather we get more decisions right than wrong which I think the tech helps with.

It’s not perfect and there are errors, but we should try to reduce as many as possible to level the playing field for both sides.

But everytime there is a successful captains challenge, it means the call was wrong and there’s too many of them. there’s no genuine justification for limiting them as they do. I’d be prepared to meet half way and provide each team with three per game on a no fault basis.

Id like us to move to four-quarters instead of halves to help the players manage physically and continue to focus on reducing injuries of all kinds.
Agree, but they don’t, they have some absolute clangers.
I’d be in favour of three refs reviewing, with a majority rule wins.
They don’t need to be at the ground.

Nutz

Bench

See, there is the damned if you don't with solid reasons from TSP.

No to quarters TSP, there's too many stoppages atm and the game should all about fatigue. Now they stopped shoulder chargers and many other scrutinized penaties the only thing left really to keep it a combat sport is fatigue.

Tigerm

First Grade
See, there is the damned if you don't with solid reasons from TSP.

No to quarters TSP, there's too many stoppages atm and the game should all about fatigue. Now they stopped shoulder chargers and many other scrutinized penaties the only thing left really to keep it a combat sport is fatigue.
Agree, I said a while ago, I watched the superbowl, after about 20 mins or so, they had played for 5 mins, it was terrible and I turned it off.
I hope we never get to that stage.

Would miss Dolphins and Dragons. Two games we’d have a chance in - both teams are hard to read this season as they’ve had mixed performances. Hopefully Bud can find some football talent in the next few days.

Agree, I said a while ago, I watched the superbowl, after about 20 mins or so, they had played for 5 mins, it was terrible and I turned it off.
I hope we never get to that stage.
That is our point of difference as a sport that is fast evaporating. That we are a non-stop game. The coaches spend their time thinking of ways and coaching players on ways to slow the game down and create stoppages.

I was watching the 1991 grand final the other night, one of my favourites. I was amazed at the endurance on display compared to today. At about the 65 minute mark the panthers forced a line drop out. Canberra kicked the drop out after 13 seconds. Forwards were jogging to the scrums and packing down immediately. Injuries were treated as play continued unless it interfered with play. There were no interchanges.

While I'm a huge supporter of the NFL I don't want rugby league to go that way.

Tigerm

First Grade
Fox NRL Stats
KM
Sezer-371
Api-154
Gal-92
RM
Junior-125
Klem-125
Olam-119
PCM
Klem-44
Papi-43
Junior-36
Pole-36
Tkls
Api-40
Bateman-38
Steff-32
Runs
Staines-14
Olam-13
Bateman-13
Klem-13

Tigerm

First Grade
have the tigers finally found their new Mitch Moses ?
Moses probably kicks that goal, but instead sooks over a sore foot and embarrasses the parramatta area.
Shit happens to shit people.

Last edited:
I loved that fg…rocketed through almost breaking the sound barrier on its way.

There was nothing courteous or artistic about it. No el grande heroic parabola.

It was just “get this into ya” statement of intent. A solid smack in the chops.

And no theatre afterwards from …our SOO half.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
IMG_0723.jpeg
From Twitter
Interesting photo, just before Sezer’s field goal.
Can you pick the Parra player who wasn’t offside?

Tigerm

First Grade
View attachment 86065
From Twitter
Interesting photo, just before Sezer’s field goal.
Can you pick the Parra player who wasn’t offside?
The value of Api

WT work for field goal on the 4th.

Eels able to slow the play the ball, allowing kick pressure to be set and all loaded up on Sezer.

Api sees this, waves Sezer off, jumps out himself, generates quicker play the ball resulting in less kick pressure on Sezer.
———————
Absolutely brilliant to see that, while he’s doing what he does.

Latest posts